• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fishkeeper or aquascaper?

Ajm200

Don’t know how to post a poll on here or if it is even possible. I’ve been here on and off for a long time and always wondered how the membership is split

How many of you are:

aquascapers who keep fish to complement your scape?

fishkeepers who keep plants to benefit/complement your fish?

My background.

I kept adding tanks and space was limited. I had a tax refund and decided to buy a big tank to accommodate all the fish. I kept a few plants but nothing serious. Just somewhere for fish to graze and hide. The tank was custom build so took a while to arrive. I dud some research and discovered aquascaping. Decided the new tank would be planted.

The tank wasn’t practical. I’m 5ft. The tank was 5x2x2 on a 2.5ft cabinet. Planting it involved balancing on a laddet and really could have benefited from a snorkel.

Didn’t let it deter me. Almost bankrupted us buying lights that could reach the substrate in t8/early t5 days and a ridiculous number of potted plants (If only in-vitro had existed back them). Ridiculously expensive aquatic substrate too and a CO2 system that churned through 2 pub canisters at a time and still didn’t make the tester go green. I grew fabulous algae and crappy plants. Every Sunday was lost to ‘the tank’ that really didn’t thrive.
I upped CO2 until fish suffered and still grew algae only to be told more flow! More CO2!

Hubby capped the budget that would have us otherwise.

I decided I was a fish keeper who like plants not an aquascaper. I went with the low light, low tech, low ferts approach. So
Some sort of enriched soil with root tabs, ancient manado and easy plants and neglect. Water changes for fish not plants. Filter maintenance when they showed signs of slowing and enjoyed tne hobby. We have no TV as we listen to music, read, chat and watch the tank. Just stripped it down as changing the wood floir with a 1/2 tonne tank is impractical and miss it already

Apologies for any typos. My vision is poor

Hi all,
It all reminds me of <this article about Great Dixter> and how gardens mixed with nature can be more biodiverse and help wildlife thrive, I know it's not the same but this is how I treat my aquarium. It's the same method of gardening that my parents have always done, focusing on creating a beautiful garden with structure for wildlife, encouraging even more wildlife than a more traditional wildlife garden might.
We have a thread with this philosophy in it, but referencing <"William Robinson"> rather than Christo Lloyd. I was watching the bumble-bees earlier today visiting both <"Clematis cirrhosa "Freckles"> and <"Clematis urophylla "Winter Beauty"> (photo today), neither a native.

Clematis_urophylla_Winter_Beauty.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Talking of gardens, I always remember Alan Tichmarsh saying that there's always some part of the garden you haven't got round to that isn't working. So at the end of the day he would take his garden chair and deliberately face it away from that part, so he could sit and enjoy a cup of tea looking at all the things going well, rather than obsessing about the bit that wasn't. I entirely live that philosophy with my tanks. And the house too, come to think of it.

Talking of gardens, I always remember Alan Tichmarsh saying that there's always some part of the garden you haven't got round to that isn't working. So at the end of the day he would take his garden chair and deliberately face it away from that part, so he could sit and enjoy a cup of tea looking at all the things going well, rather than obsessing about the bit that wasn't. I entirely live that philosophy with my tanks. And the house too, come to think of it.

The house too!? 🤔 I’m gonna have to make some space to move my chair to the cupboard under the stairs! 😂

Back