• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fishkeeping Blunders

fishkeeper

We all have had them, lets hear your best ones.

I had my best but worse one today. I was rearranging my cabinet and i moved the external filter but I hadnt closed the taps or turned the filter off. Upon moving it, one of the pipes got pulled off, water jsut squirted onto the electics, tripped the power and I had to sort it all out with the help of my dad. Lets jsut say, my paretns weren't too pleased with the big puddle of water on the floor and no power for a coupel of mins lol

I spilt test solution and some tropica plant substrate all over my bedroom carpet, so there is now a few random yellow dots, and a largish brown stain on the floor :rolleyes:

It's getting replaced next week, with lino this time :lol:

I very recently had my heater go and boil my tank killing some ottos and about £70+ worth of plants.
Before that I gassed everything when I turned the co2 up and forgot to up the surface agitation to go with it.

Ancistrus Plec getting wrapped up in a hairnet that was securing java moss onto some wood. Had to cut her free with tweezers and scissors. Few months later she did it again. :oops:

Oh yeah I had 15 odd lampeye's jump the tank over night, that was a difficult one to explain to my little sister who found them.

Re-filling the tank in the living room with a hosepipe connected to the kitchen tap, went on this forum on the PC in the office, totally forgot about the hosepipe until my kids went in the living room and screamed in horror, because the water was flowing nicely over the edge of the tank :oops: Mind like a seive :lol:

Tourney said:
Re-filling the tank in the living room with a hosepipe connected to the kitchen tap, went on this forum on the PC in the office, totally forgot about the hosepipe until my kids went in the living room and screamed in horror, because the water was flowing nicely over the edge of the tank :oops: Mind like a seive :lol:

At least your kids screamed, mine would have just gone and got their swimming costumes

squiggley said:
Tourney said:

At least your kids screamed, mine would have just gone and got their swimming costumes
:lol:

i didnt attach my tap-hose connector properly, turned it on, went in room to keep an eye on water level in tank, walked back in 15mins later to fine it has squirted water everywhere :wideyed:

Where should I start hahaha

-Gasing the fish with too much CO2 a "few" times :rolleyes:
-When I used to change the water using a bucket the handle coming off the bucket as I was picking it up in the living room full of water after I just cleaned the filter sponges!! :wideyed:
- When using the pump filling the tank and forgot about it and the water flooding the living room.
- During water changes forgetting to turn off the Juwel heater and then when filling the tank cause it was so hot cracking straight away, that happened like 3 times haha (now using a Rena Smart Heater than turns off automatically if there is no water).
- Forgetting to turn on filters after doing some photography and only realising a week later :bored:

I am sure I have done many others just don't recall them, I have a fish memory!! :lol: :lol:

dont let paulo near your tank then :lol: :lol:

joking aside, i have gassed my fish before now, cracked some heaters, chucked lots of water on the floor. it goes with the territory so to speak.

Here's a few...

While carrying out a large water change, using mains water being run into the tank via a couple of rubber hose joined with 15mm plastic pipe. Well someone stepped on the rubber hose (probably me), which caused the pipes to come apart. So there is mains water being run inside, and also as an added effect the other hose starts to siphon water from the tank. As you can imagine i wasn't Mr Popular. Thank god for Karndean floor.

When i used to keep discus a few years back, while doing a water change, someone entered the room quickly, this then spooked one of my large (7") wild tefe's, which jumped out of the tank about 4' into my hands. Who was back in the tank before he knew what had happenned.

Overdosing with Flourish Excel, and killing 200 wild Harlequin Rasboras.

Overdosing with Flourish Excel, and killing 15 wild Dennisonii Barbs.

TDI-line said:
When i used to keep discus a few years back, while doing a water change, someone entered the room quickly, this then spooked one of my large (7") wild tefe's, which jumped out of the tank about 4' into my hands. Who was back in the tank before he knew what had happenned.

I bet that was a site!

Touch wood I have not had any major bloopers. Just the odd mouthful of tank water when setting off a siphon by sucking on tubing.

I've done most of the above. Having a showner mid refill on the 4ft was fun. I completely forgot. At least it wasn't a long hot bath, that would have been really messy.

Having around 60 (all told) boraras maculatus jump out of my nano before I realised it was my spray deodorant that was the problem was a sod. They are one of my favourite fish and unfortunately not all the common in the shops

Sam

TDI-line said:
Ooops, just remembered to turn the heater back on after a water change this mourning. :lol:
I didn't check my heater was properly replugged and therefore off or about a week, in a breeding tank of guppy and lots of fry. Thankfully they were all fine despite the temp plummeting to about 16/17c before I noticed.

Also done the "forgot to turn the heater off" and came back in the room to the horrendous smell of the plastic protecting sheath melting and smoking quite well too!

In forty odd years of fish keeping I am ashamed to say I have overheated the water killing a 4in red tailed shark along with one or two others. On the other hand during the eighties, I sat up until the early hours to check the temperature of a separate heater and stat, when one of the piranha's we had at the time bit through the more modern version.

My grandson has fed my fish twice with a full pots of food, the first time I caught my husband trying to get it out with one of those electric gravel cleaners wonder what the fish thought first more food than they had seen before, next the big tube sucking it out, followed by the fog which emerged from the gunk bag, the second time he left it alone until I got back from work.

A well known brand of external filter which twice emptied two thirds of tank water fortunately most of it under the floorboards, when a light bulb blew and tripped the electrics. I tried to get to do it again with me standing by the filter it did'nt do it.

Flooded the kitchen by squirty tap fixings so I now wrap a cloth around the tap just in case, soaked trousers, skirts, ect. and suffer the more modern problem for many aquarist's of the soggy sleeve. Don't you just love this hobby!

ej56 said:
Flooded the kitchen by squirty tap fixings so I now wrap a cloth around the tap just in case, soaked trousers, skirts, ect. and suffer the more modern problem for many aquarist's of the soggy sleeve. Don't you just love this hobby!
"Soggy sleeve" is compulsory (especially in the planted scene) as are the drips on the surrounding flooring surface, no matter what that may be.

Back