• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fishkeeping Blunders

I've had surprisingly few. I've never gassed fish to death, but came close when doing a set-up in the PFK studio.

I've spilt water when disconnecting filter hoses etc. and broken some glassware.

I've also dropped lighting (whilst on) into the tank water... No harm done, thankfully.

Hi All,my worse ever accident (it was my own fault)was about a month ago,after cleaning one of my eheim 2028s i thought i had put the double taps back in correctly so i locked them in (so i thought) turned it up to full flow and carried on cleaning in the tank,i suddenly realised the tank was emptying again and looked down and the carpet was soaked,the wife went bananas,i ran round like a headless chicken :lol: :lol:,it msut have pumped about ten gallon on the carpet.
regards john.

George Farmer said:
I've had surprisingly few. I've never gassed fish to death, but came close when doing a set-up in the PFK studio.

i bet that would've been embarrasing!
My latest one is not fixing my ETH heater correctly and it slowly drained 1" of water overnight, took me aa while to find the leak in the cupboard though!

I thought I had some bad blunders but you guys make mine look like nothing!
I have done the usual and forgot about the tap running into my tank and drenched the carpet a few times.
I have forgotten to turn my filter on for a few days.
After doing some maintanence I bumped the inlet gause thing on my filter in the tank which then fell off and sucked my wifes favourite lionhead head-first into it. It was stuck head first in there all night. It was dead in case you are wondering.
I have forgotten to de-chlorinate my water and killed my filter bacteria.

Thats about it... for now....

aaronnorth said:
George Farmer said:

i bet that would've been embarrasing!
Indeed! :lol:

I set up a 60cm, as a step-by-step, the week before in the studio and left it running for a week with loads of CO2 to get some growth for the final full tank shot.

As a precautionary measure I turned off the CO2 and raised the lily pipe to gas-off excess CO2 prior to introducing the fish (20 black neons).

However, it wasn't enough... As soon as the fish were introduced they began rolling and sank to the bottom. Still breathing but clearly intoxicated.

I swiftly performed multiple water changes and eventually the fish came round.

The whole time Neil (the photographer) thought I'd killed them. I did too.

What surprised me was how much CO2 must have remained in the water despite plenty of surface agitation beforehand.

Another lesson learnt, for sure.

You can see the same fish in my avatar.

George Farmer said:
What surprised me was how much CO2 must have remained in the water despite plenty of surface agitation beforehand.
Has mentioned by Clive a few times surface aggitation is not enough to get rid of the CO2 from the water in case of over dosing it, you must perform water changes straight away to get rid of the excess ;)

LondonDragon said:
George Farmer said:
Has mentioned by Clive a few times surface aggitation is not enough to get rid of the CO2 from the water in case of over dosing it, you must perform water changes straight away to get rid of the excess ;)
Yes mate. I learnt the hard way! ;)

Back