• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fishless cycle - not enough plants for silent - which ammoni

LeTigra

Hi
I know this isn't strictly a "planted tank" question but I trust you guys to give me an answer that a) will actually be of use, and b) will come from a trustworthy source!
I've got a new tank on order for my bristlenoses. I'm hoping it'll be delivered and set up by next Friday woop! However, of course, I need to cycle it. Its not going to have lots of pretty delicate plants but some Java fern, I'll probably get a pile of Hornwort to float around the top, eat up nitrates etc, but I'm not going to have a huge plantload. As my cycle is going to be fishless I need a source of ammonia (ammonium?) - can anyone suggest a good one? I did a search on Google and it just brought up various cleaning products or something. Should I just throw a couple of little prawns in there and keep testing? Is there a fish-safe brand of ammonia I can use?
All suggestions greatly appreciated - and if I don't reply with a thank you for 3 weeks its because my internet connection is terrrible and they're taking a looooonnnnng time fixing it - so I will be reading your replies in work :twisted:
Thanks in advance

could you not get some mature filter media from your LFS?

i try and give anyone who comes in with a new tank some media if i can.

ok so it might not cheat the system but it will certainly shorten the looooong process of it. :)

I'm not really pally with any of the shops round here and my tank is coming from an online store. I do have my own mature tank but at the mo I don't know if i have a health problem in the tank or just some mean tiger barbs eating each other so I can't use any of the media or substrate from there "just in case". My only option really is to cycle it the slow way which will mean I can get some Crypts etc settled before my BNPs go in there and have a party. They are growing fast but they'll be ok in their little tank for a good 6 weeks or so I reckon - round about enough time to cycle a tank :)

Just set up your tank and plant it and be patient. Your tank will cycle slowly and will be perfect for your little BNs in 4-6 weeks. If you want to speed things up a bit then I have put a bit of food in every couple of days to provide some ammonia rather than using anything complicated!
Other than that transferring enough mature media will cycle a tank almost instantly IME.

Thank you both!
I have lots of time so maybe I'll do it without ammonia - I mean, if it works naturally then why mess with it?
I'll keep the ammonia source in mind though. Its always good to know where I can get it
Cheers!

Back