• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens Fontanus: Colonised? (Dry-Start)

Von Bronze

Hello!

I'm dry-starting my first Aquascape which contains three mosses: Weeping, Coral and Phoenix. The coral and weeping were planted both in glued clumps and also distributed via the moss-mud method.

Week 3 now. Weeping moss is propagating well. Coral moss clumps are starting to brown a little.

Not sure what is happening with phoenix moss (fissidens). It's not really grown and has turned a brown-green recently. This week it started some fresh growths which resemble the weeping moss although they haven't been in proximity. I've moved it to a more shaded location - in case it was getting overexposed to the light.

What do you think? Do these need an intervention? Or is this normal in the transition from submersed to emersed for the fissidens pad?

I could submerse both at this stage in a small bowl with some substrate if you think this is a sign they are struggling.

Coral was a 1-2-grow pot, phoenix was a tropica pad.

My DSM Technique

Tank is fully covered. I'm misting around 3 times a day as I have quite an elevated substrate and the moisture from the rocks is tending to evaporate and condense on the glass. Airing for around 5 minutes in the evening.

Substrate is JBL Plantsoil
Misting with RO water
Fluval Plant Light 3.0 - default planted profile reduce to around 80% intensity, 11 hours p/day
No additional ferts

Advice would be really appreciated. :)

DSC03081.JPG
DSC03084.JPG
DSC03085.JPG

Coral Moss:
DSC03074.JPG

Hi all,
...This week it started some fresh growths which resemble the weeping moss although they haven't been in proximity....

dsc03084-jpg.jpg
My guess would be that the new stems that are growing aren't Fissidens fontanus, mainly because the leaves (microphylls) look to be spirally arranged around the stem. I think in Fissidens spp. they would always be in two rows in a single plane.

I'd also be reasonably confident that the Fissidens will re-grow.
Coral moss clumps are starting to brown a little
That looks to be definitely an excess light issue, I would suspect that the moss will grow past it OK.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
My guess would be that the new stems that are growing aren't Fissidens fontanus, mainly because the leaves (microphylls) look to be spirally arranged around the stem

Thanks Darrel, I'll update and see what sort of mossy Frankenstein emerges.

Back