• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fissidens fontanus - how fast does it grow?

a1Matt

I know all mosses are slow growers, but Fissidens fontanus is easily the slowest growing moss I have found. (Second place is flame moss).

I am wondering if it is slow growing predominantly because of its placement in my tank (heavily shaded spot), or if it just grows very slowly whatever the conditions.

How fast do you all find your fissidens fontanus grows?
My little patch has grown about an inch in height in 6 months (it has also thickened up nicely, but not spread much at all).

All mosses like a good trim, so don't be afraid to cut them as it encourages new growth. I found fissidens quite a fast grower with co2 and ferts, but very slow in a low tech tank. Flame moss I also found to be quite a quick grower.

Thanks James - my tank is as low tech as it gets with regards to light and CO2. (even the bright spots are dim :lol: ) I will definitely trim it soon and see what difference that makes.

btw, fissidens doesn't spread much at all, and doesn't grow that long either - it tends to form little round balls about an inch in size and thats it. Cut it back, and tie the cuttings to some small stones, placing them where you need them. Its obviously harder to do with a main feature stone or wood, but well worth the effort :)

Hi Matt,i had some fisidens from tgm on the 17th may,tied it as soon as i got home and its growing quite fast,
regards john

I find it GROWS reasonably quickly (I have a no tech tank!!),but doesn't SPREAD quickly.It fills out really quick then starts to get a bit long in the 'middle' .I pull these bits off and tie them down near the original planting and the gaps soon fill in.
Funny,I was having a really close look at my fissidens today to see if it was actually spreading past where I'd tied it on,and after maybe 4 months,I am starting to see new little leaves and growth making it's own path.

Goodygumdrops, your description is actually a little freaky - mine is the same - got dense pretty quick, then grew a teeny bit longer, then a bit longer still in the middle. Are you sure you can't see my tank from there :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone - what a helpful thread this has turned out to be. I am now 100% that the slow growth is not due to it being in a dark spot and am quite looking forward to giving it a crew cut 8)

I don't get called inspiring very often!.... thankyou very much :p

Just thought id add to this....
I got some fissidens of LD (im pretty sure it was from ld anyway ;)) a loooong time ago, and it grew maybe 1cm high in 2 months... it grew better when i floated it in a small sandwich container in the top of a tank that i added a load of ferts and liquid carbon too :lol: managed to fill out the tub in the time it took it to grow that 1cm :rolleyes:

Hello

I got some FF from London dragon and have it in my two tanks. One very low tech and one high tech. Its growing in both.

In my high tech, it got attacked by a staghorn out break but a bit of dosing with easy carbo and an increase in co2 killed it off. If you look at this pic you can still see the greyish strands of the staghorn. This was taken a week ago, almost all the staghorn has been eaten by the shrimps. I have placed this in a high flow area and it seems to be growing well. This started life as a couple of pieces wedged in a rock 8 weeks ago. Its a lovely little plant.
web.jpg

In my low tech its very slow growing indeed not like the pic above, but that tank is about to become higher tech. I will be adding pressurized CO2 so i will let you know if that has any effect.

Back