• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens

It's a moss. So tie to wood, rocks, mesh etc as you would any moss.

milla said:
It's a moss. So tie to wood, rocks, mesh etc as you would any moss.
Doesn't seem that straight forward, but I will give it a go, thanks. Going to leave it for a couple of days in a breeding division

Hiya, i got some recently and it is definitely grown emersed but you should just tie it to some hardscape and if given good conditions it'll take off soon eneough.

Fissidens zippelianus and Fissidens splachnobryoides are apparently non aquatic, although they will survive if the conditions are perfect. Zippelianus will attach itself over time, but Splachnobryoides will not. Fissidens fontanus is the aquatic plant.

JAmesM said:
Fissidens zippelianus and Fissidens splachnobryoides are apparently non aquatic, although they will survive if the conditions are perfect. Zippelianus will attach itself over time, but Splachnobryoides will not. Fissidens fontanus is the aquatic plant.
Thanks, should have knows that before I got it, got splachnobryoides and wasn't really what I was looking for! oh well thanks for the info.

LondonDragon said:
JAmesM said:
Thanks, should have knows that before I got it, got splachnobryoides and wasn't really what I was looking for! oh well thanks for the info.
I've done it too mate, and I'm sure many others have, so don't feel too bad :)

JAmesM said:
LondonDragon said:
JAmesM said:
I've done it too mate, and I'm sure many others have, so don't feel too bad :)

oh yes! I'm in that club... I got myself some non-aquatic star moss a couple of months ago :oops: :rolleyes:

If you do find yourself buying a non-aquatic species that has been advertised as aquatic, or NOT advertised as semi-aquatic/non-aquatic, please do contact the seller and make the point.

Part of the aim of the Society is to encourage sellers to improve their coverage of the hobby, and that includes labeling! This hobby is hard enough as it is without LFS's trying to sell non aquatic 'cheap' plants to enthusiasts. This is becoming rarer, but it still goes on.

Obviously, we all do make mistakes though :) Ive done it many times.

JAmesM said:
Any luck with it LD?
I did plant it, but my amano shrimp destroyed them in a few days! lol
Wasn't the right type so the amano trying to clean them, they just fell apart

my packet of Fissidens splachnobryoides just arrived and i have to say i almost laughed when i opened it. Not only was it clearly wild collected (it had pine needles and bits of leaf in it) but it was also mainly brown soil which they describe in an affixed note as "healthy leaf structure", aquatic magic are borderline criminal in my opinion. don't ever order from them, i have no idea how they got such good feedback on ebay.

SteveUK said:
I wish I'd read this post yesterday. Just ordered some Fissidens splachnobryoides :rolleyes:
Oh well, maybe an excuse for a palaudarium/wabikusa perhaps? :?
I made the same mistake and it just died off in a few days underwater and the Amano shrimp too a liking to it too.

louis_last said:
my packet of Fissidens splachnobryoides just arrived and i have to say i almost laughed when i opened it. Not only was it clearly wild collected (it had pine needles and bits of leaf in it) but it was also mainly brown soil which they describe in an affixed note as "healthy leaf structure", aquatic magic are borderline criminal in my opinion. don't ever order from them, i have no idea how they got such good feedback on ebay.
Yeah I won't order any more plants from these guys, glassware etc... I don't mind from them but plants no way. Previous orders of plants always arrived in very bad shape that never recovered.

It seems that they don't actually grow these plants themselves, they claim they buy them from the grower then sell them on but I doubt somebody growing these commercially would include soil, leaves and pine needles in their tank and even if grown emersed i bet they would be covered; I strongly suspect they collect these plants from the wild.
By all accounts they are very helpful with complaints but just keep sending you more of the same plant, in the same condition. Several of their mosses and liverworts that they describe as able to grow in 'a wide variety of water conditions' have been identified by a professor of Bryology as terrestrial species so i guess by 'a wide variety of water conditions' they mean the huge variety of water conditions that don't include any water.
I'm going to see if i can get them to replace this order with Fissidens fontanus.

I brought some Fissidens splachnobryoides from aquatic magic some time ago and it grew great. BUT I had it growing on some wood that was above the water line. What I put submerged died pretty quickly.

I've brought a fair few plants from them and never had any problems. You do have to watch it though as some of their plants don't grow submerged even though they say they do. Check before buying.

James

Back