• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flexi Mini island scape

Jocke

Ok, this is not my first post here but my previous account have disappeared.. Not that big deal because I haven't used it that much anyway. My name is Joakim and I'm from Sweden.

I'm going to set up a new low tech nano tank in some weeks. And I would love to have you with me on this journey

Here's the specs this far:

Aquarium tank: Flexi mini 32x21x24 cm
Lighting: Aquael Leddy Smart
Filtration: HOB

I'm thinking of a classic island scape in miniature with only anubias and bucephalandras maybe some moss but I need this one to be really low maintenance

Don't have the tank yet so playing around on some cardboard. Let me know what you think!

73683c73e39396962d30f2adb4e3708d.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey, welcome. Very nice hardscape, but it looks like good match for cube aquarium. What are dimensions of your hardscale atm?

Hey, welcome. Very nice hardscape, but it looks like good match for cube aquarium. What are dimensions of your hardscale atm?

Thank you all!

Yes I know.. This scape would probably do better in a cube but I have a plan B an that is to have focal point at "the golden ratio" instead of in the center of the tank. That should help I think..

Don't remember the height of this hardscape but the tallest piece of wood will stick out a little bit above the waterline. The base of cardboard I have there are the exact dimensions of the tank I'm going to use

Short update! Santa brought me this beautiful little tank at christmas eve yesterday.

babe62b5847052e21bc97cc66aa56e8f.jpg

Up here he comes one day early probably because we're closer to the north pole...

Really well made. There's nothing to complain about.

And merry Christmas to all of you!

Added the wood and a new set of stones to the tank.
aee68e12062fc48b130333b976276448.jpg

Wood is fixed firmly with hot glue
50fe8a0b14097cdacc4126c6c7f6a0d9.jpg

As I mentioned I will plant some anubias and buce. But I'm not sure what to put in the background. I want the driftwood to be the main focal point but maybe one bigger plant to add some variation.
I'm thinking about one of these:

Vallisineria nana
Java fern
Hygrophila pinatifida

What do you think and why?

Added the wood and a new set of stones to the tank.
aee68e12062fc48b130333b976276448.jpg

Wood is fixed firmly with hot glue
50fe8a0b14097cdacc4126c6c7f6a0d9.jpg

As I mentioned I will plant some anubias and buce. But I'm not sure what to put in the background. I want the driftwood to be the main focal point but maybe one bigger plant to add some variation.
I'm thinking about one of these:

Vallisineria nana
Java fern
Hygrophila pinatifida

What do you think and why?

If I were you I would get a dwarf species of java fern and some hygrophila pinatifida. Little java fern on the left and some hydro at the base of the wood and in back right would look swell. That’s in my opinion of course. I think the green yellow red coke ration of hygro would compliment the wood and stone.

Do what you think looks best, skye

Hey Skye, nice scape!

Do you think that hot glue will be enough to hold the wood under water?

Hey Skye, nice scape!

Do you think that hot glue will be enough to hold the wood under water?

Hey rebel, it is a very nice scape.........wish it was mine . If I were the OP I would fill it half way with water, let the water seep into the wood and weight it down a little bit more. Then the OP could drain,Plant, and fill it back up and it should hold fine.

The wood is pre-soaked actually so floating is not the problem

The glue is for stability and prevent the wood from sliding only.

Maybe I will go for some H. pinatifida.. as you say it will complement the wood and stones.

But some vallisineria would follow the upright feel from the wood and be a nice contrast to the compact growing anubias and buce...

Talking about bucephalandras.. I have moved som buce from one spot to another in my 30l tank and now they are melting, roots and everything. Before they were on the top of the wood with the moss and now they are bottom left corner.

Could it be to bad circulation for the rhizome? I have just pushed them in between some stones. Anyone with any thoughts?
d331a70a4f76e49aba834a71ab54bae4.jpg

I've bought a ton of buce in the past.. and have killed them all. Honestly they are very difficult to grow/thrive for me... a lot of people say it's easy but I think that's a lie haha. From my experience and my friend's (who also love buce) - it seems like consistency is the key. Any type of parameter change will cause it to shed it's leaves. The buce that I left alone for a long time (I still have some left) seem to be doing quite well, but they've been sitting there for months. My advice - don't move them if you dont have to.

I've bought a ton of buce in the past.. and have killed them all. Honestly they are very difficult to grow/thrive for me... a lot of people say it's easy but I think that's a lie haha. From my experience and my friend's (who also love buce) - it seems like consistency is the key. Any type of parameter change will cause it to shed it's leaves. The buce that I left alone for a long time (I still have some left) seem to be doing quite well, but they've been sitting there for months. My advice - don't move them if you dont have to.

Ok! Thanks for the tip

Don't know why but that reminds me some black water biotope. Just add some leaves, a bit of plants to background and voila.

Yes that's true. But maybe I should have a better contrast between stones and sand...

I think I have decided what plants to order and here's a pic of the species. Don't know if I will use all of them but my other tank might need some also..
483f9830b77c52918665f65477c8a9b7.jpg

And here's the final hardacape. Now I'm using unipac Nyasia sand with a touch of ada Congo sand.

2fd94b36405441ede399b17273260afa.jpg

Have moved the hardscape closer to the front. I think it looks better now, and makes it look a little bit bigger

Hopefully I will plant this next week!

The sand complements the hardscape quite well, looks better once moved forward. Glad to see progress bro made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the right sélection of plants this can be an awesome nano nature aquarium.

I would add some small stem plants like H.Micranthemoides on the back left

Back