float glass V's opti white.

Discussion in 'Hardware & DIY' started by Mark Evans, 3 Oct 2008.

1. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

ok i got a opti white and love it. i want a new 120cm tank but dont want to shell out 400 notes. anyone give a true comparison?

2. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

how do you mean mate? you've got a true comparison havn't you? 1 optiwhite vs 1 normal float glass.
    This is a normal comparison....
    OptiWhiteLores.jpg
    This one is nice and IMO a true representation of what they look like.....
    Optiwhiteglass.jpg
    These are straight from Aquariums Limited.

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

ahhh right. so float glass is just like "normal" glass. i thought flot glass was the next step up from normal glass. it just goes to show, i know nothing.

opti white it is then

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

lots of people get done by that trick!

5. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Float glass just refers to the method of manufacture. They literally float the glass on liquid to get a perfectly flat finish. I would imagine Opti-white glass is made by the same method (but I don't know for sure) - it's just the materials that differ.

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

you see the problem is, i can see a difference between my opti white and rena aquariums. but it's not that bigger difference.of course theres no green tint.

now my wife cant see a difference at all, nor can the rest of my family for that matter. my opt for a 10mm float glass aquarium and save my self some money. im sick of the height and the great big brace on my rena :?

7. JamesM

JamesM Member

How high is the Rena, Mark?

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

70cm, ive gone off the height. after looking at my henge tank i feel i want the same/ similar height (maybe 45cm) but with the 120cm lenght. kinda panoramic feel. also WAY easier to maintain.

when i go into my rean to trim etc, i have to put my speedo's on. i got pics somewhere :lol: (joking)

no, realy i go right up to my shoulder to touch the bottom. its a pain.

9. JamesM

JamesM Member

See, my 4ft tank is 18" deep, and I feel I need more. Also, the depth front to back is only 12", which you can't do much with on a 4ft tank :-\

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

thats not alot is it. i currently have 40cm. i could get a 45cm and extend the stand. depth is more important to me than height. i would love a 120 x 50(d) x 45(h)

11. JamesM

JamesM Member

Yeah, I'm crying for more depth both ways :lol: I might even consider a 90x45x45 instead of the 90x60x60. I'll have to play about with cardboard boxes until I find a size I like :D

12. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i am planning a 120cm x 45 x 50 for the future! just need to figure out how much it will cost 1st :lol:

13. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

my 80cm is 80 x 45 x 45 and the height and depth are perfect, a nice front to back depth giving you plenty scope for almost any style of aquascape and it's not too deep for maintenance.

14. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

thanks dan, i reckon im after a 120 x 45 x 45 float glass.