Float glass

Discussion in 'Aqua Essentials' started by Thomas McMillan, 20 Oct 2008.

1. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

Hi, sorry this might be a really stupid question but what's the difference between float glass and opti-white? Is float glass just a fancy name for normal glass?

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Float glass is normal glass that most average tanks are made out of. Opti-white is a higher clarity. It's actually the same glass used to make eye glasses hence why it's more expensive. It's actually something to do with the the ammount of iron in the glass I believe

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

its not dumb, i asked the same question. steves right on every point. opti white all the way ;)

4. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

thanks guys, i thought that was the case. all of my tanks are most likely float glass then. i've never seen a real life opti-white! i can't wait until aqua essentials gets those 12x10x8s in!

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Check this picture out Thomas. It's not brilliant but gives you an idea:

[​IMG]

If you look at the two glass squares that look like coasters, one is greener than the other. The greener one is float glass, the clearer one is opti-white. You really do see the difference in real life. I was gob-smacked!

I'm tempted by the AE tanks if Richard can get them in. I'm also tempted by the little 30cm cubes that Dan and Graeme had setup for the show. Apparently they are only £80, which is far cheaper than I thought they'd be!

6. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

^ wow, thanks for that pic. you really can see the difference althoguh i bet it's much better irl. i keep hearing people rave about ho wmuch clearer opti-white is and i'm so jealous.

thanks again guys

7. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

that pic is awesome, i never realise how green my tank is! :lol: