• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating microbubbles everywhere

Hi all
At the begining of July, I stripped down and completely rescaped my tank. The gravel was replaced with Tropica Aquarium soil and a mix of new and existing plants were added along with new and existing wood hardscape. After a week or two, i noticed the water was hazy and on closer inspection, I believe it is full of tiny bubbles floating around. Here are some things i thought it could be:

1. Co2 had been knocked and was on a crazy bps. Not the case (originally on a co2 reactor, now an inline diffuser)

2. The canister filter or surface skimmer was to blame. Still a maybe?

3. The hot weather is causing o2 to form bubbles. Not sure

4. The substrate has trapped air or is forming some sort of reaction. Possibly

I am wondering if there are any known phenominon that would cause these bubbles. I turned off all filters for about 20 mins today to see if they cleared bit they just remain suspended in the water.

Below are some pictures if it helps

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180725_190421.jpg
    20180725_190421.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 857
  • 20180725_190413.jpg
    20180725_190413.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 306
After a big rescape on a mature tank I’ve noticed I experience a milky look for a week or so on the new scape. I’ve put it down to a bacterial bloom. Your old substrate harnesses lots of bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw. Some big water changes help speed up the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had similar but on very close look it was worms!!! tiny little white worms everywhere! It looks weeks to clear even after adding some endlers.

What happens if you do a 100% water change?

If there is no livestock, I reckon add a flocculant and wait. or just wait.

I'm pretty sure it is bubbles. Thank god it ismt worms!
When i do a partial water change, the amount of hazing reduces for a while. That, combimed with how they are in the entire water column made me think that it is either o2 releasimg from the water or somethimg coming from the new substrate. None of the fish are bothered by it so I guess I have to wait to see if it clears
Thanks for the thoughts so far

I am having similar symptoms at the moment, looks like tiny bubbles slightly clouding the water. If I switch off all flow not all of them rise to the surface though. I noticed it going into my second week of a new set up, looks different to the original milky/cloudiness bacteria bloom from the first week.

I’ve since done a couple of 40-50% water changes this week and have added a surface skimmer for more flow and to clean surface film. This has reduced it somewhat but it still is present. Some of which is now most likely micro bubbles from the surface skimmer however on closer inspection after reading the thread some do look like a small white thread/worm.

Any one else experience similar? I’m just going to maintain ~40% water changes every 3rd day for now while the fish less cycle continues.

I'm hoping that when I get home from a few days away, the clarity improves. I've got the surface skimmer off this week because I am relying on an auto feeder while I'm away & the skimmer eats the food faster than the fish!
Once I'm back, I'll be upping water changes to twice a week to see if that helps.
Fingers crossed that this is just a matter of letting the new setup calm down.

Back