• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating plants

Paul27

I'm quite liking the idea of adding some floating plants to my tank but it's only 20cm tall. I've had dwarf water lettuce in a previous tank which grew quite long roots which I really liked but that was over double the height of my current tank and would be abit over kill in this one. Would of been interested in duckweed but would like something with abit more of a root structure. Any suggestions?.

Salvinia - a rapid grower, however, large enough to let you remove it easily. Duckweed is a nightmare to remove. It's also useful for judging the nutrients in the tank ala the 'duck weed index'. I am also becoming increasingly convinced of their utility in keeping algae at bay (ala @Matt @ ScapeEasy).

I dont use floaters as they grow like mad and significantly decrease light to the other plants at the bottom.Just my preference though.Getting them in is easy but getting them out isnt.A heavily planted bottom also wards off algae too but may need some time to acquire. :)

Like the look of Phyllanthus fluitans, specifically as its red. Might be the one to go for.

Like the look of Phyllanthus fluitans, specifically as its red. Might be the one to go for.
Not a bad idea.If I had a pond I would go with azolla to use as fertiliser for my plants.I only have phyllanthus mirabilis which is a land plant hmm.Leaves close at night hehe.

Attachments

• IMG20191128182903.jpg
    IMG20191128182903.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107
How about dwarf water lily, not floating plant per se but lily pads are floating leaves with skinny stems. Lily pads are tidy, easy to prune, and thin enough to allow some light to pass through.

Attachments

• F12A6DBE-DB5A-453E-8B8B-5C5588D58872.jpeg
    F12A6DBE-DB5A-453E-8B8B-5C5588D58872.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
How about dwarf water lily, not floating plant per se but lily pads are floating leaves with skinny stems. Lily pads are tidy, easy to prune, and thin enough to allow some light to pass through.

How big do the lily's actually get?

The submerged leaves of mine grow to 4”, so I assume the lily pads can get at least as big. I have no idea the max size it can get, as it depends on the environment which is not natural in artificial light. I only start letting mine to form floating leaves, and have to wait and see,

Back