• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flooding tank after failed Dry Start Method

MFoley

Seedling
Hi

I’m after advice from anyone who has had to flood a tank after a failed Dry Start Method. I had to go away for a few days and when I came back had a fine crop of white moss over all the wood that hydrogen peroxide wouldn’t touch.

I flooded the tank and am on day 2 but if anything the moss seems to be doing well and I’m seeing some perling - see pictures.

Not having flooded a tank before (for this reason) is this normal? If so how can it take to kill the moss off?
79656765-5B81-48C9-8990-8A78B9C660D5.jpeg
33D64D4F-3D83-4B87-B10A-6A770017A07D.jpeg

It's perfectly normal for wood to leach in this manner, although it usually starts once it's been submerged for a few days.

You may find the wood continues to generate this white fungus for several weeks or even months.

For best results take the wood out of the tank once a week and scrub as much of the fungus off as you can with a scouring pad.

Oh joy! Any thoughts on whether a hydrogen peroxide bath for the wood would shave some time off that? I’ve lost the dry start so Im thinking a high dose in the wood alone.

Back