• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floor Bearing

Johno2090

I was looking about for the load bearings on my second floor flat/room as i'm installing a new 210 ltr aquarium soon and came across this.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

I just hope its right and it's going to be ok upstairs....never been so nervous about placing a tank!!!

ive always thaught of it this way, if its no heavier than a bath full of water with a large person in shorley there wont be an issue.

whoops some one didn't read the article
"Myth #8: "Why all this worry about weight? I am a 200 lb man and I can fill my bath tub with water and get in the tub without crashing through the floor."

Well, the builder knew where he was going to put the bath tub so he put extra floor joists there to take care of the higher loads."

worth a look thanks Johno

Yeah was a good read, I think i'll prob lose sleep the first few nights its up and then after that i'll be like a baby again!

Still right now i'm ___________ bricks...

210litres = 210kg=33stone
You'd happily have three normal people stand in the footprint of the tank so don't sweat too much about the actual tank. Follow the very sage advice here of positioning it across as many joists as possible and spreading the load evenly with a board underneath it and i'm sure it'll be fine. Or get a really FAT person to come round and see if they fall through the floor... :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have fun!
Matt

Back