• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flourite, GH KH crash?

chrisfraser05

Just a quick one..... and this really really is my last substrate question lol

I've got my 300lt with the soil settling and the filter running. My wife is going to feed the tank to get the filter cycling with no fish so I can add fish quicker when I get home.

I've ordered flourite sand to cap the soil and will be doing it about 1 inch thick throughout the entire tank.

The question is will this flourite draw all the minerals out of the water causing the GH and KH to crash initially and if so how long do you think it would take to stabalise with 50% waterchanges daily?

I have toyed with the idea of getting my wife to soak the sand dosing it with dry ferts but its alot to ask of an already very patient woman!!!!

Cheers, chris

Also to add I will be using FE CO2 from the start with this tank so PH swings would be a worry for me initially if the KH does crash.

flourite is inert, and will not draw anything out of your water.

it has high cec so will store some nutrients after a while, but that is about it...

Back