• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow amd co2 reactors

john arnold

Hello

Have 240l fluval roma tank with fluval306 filter i want to use an aquamedic 1000 fir co2 as my inline gives too many bubbles, is my filter too weak for the setup i want .? Or does anyone think i need to upgrade filter?

is my filter too weak for the setup
Try and measure the actual output from your Fluval 306. Two people, a watch and a BIG bucket. One keeps time, the other keeps an eye on volume and can turn the unit off. From your results you can check with the flow requirements of the reactor. In most cases canisters are too slow, they are designed to filter and not to move water. Pumps move water but do not filter. Wishing you dry floors.

Well your fluval 306 has an output of 1250LPH and the stated flow rate of the aquamedic is 1000-2000 LPH so you should be OK but like most things there is only one why to find out!
Do you plan on using an inline atomiser with it ?

Try and measure the actual output from your Fluval 306. Two people, a watch and a BIG bucket. One keeps time, the other keeps an eye on volume and can turn the unit off. From your results you can check with the flow requirements of the reactor. In most cases canisters are too slow, they are designed to filter and not to move water. Pumps move water but do not filter. Wishing you dry floors.

Yeah maybe i could just use an external pump, thats a good idea thankd

Well your fluval 306 has an output of 1250LPH and the stated flow rate of the aquamedic is 1000-2000 LPH so you should be OK but like most things there is only one why to find out!
Do you plan on using an inline atomiser with it ?
That seems like over kill I thought the reactor would do away with the atomiser...

they are designed to filter and not to move water
If you put too much resistance on your filter it will damage it over time, this is from first hand experience. :(
Pumps move water but do not filter
100% agree
240l fluval roma tank with fluval306 filter
You have a 240L tank with a filter that has an advertised flow rate of 1150 LPH which gives you a little under 5x turnover per hour assuming your filter is giving you that as an actual flow rate.
Normally it's suggested people aim for 10x tank turnover per hour in a planted tank.
If you were to put an inline reactor then you would probably find this further impedes flow.

That seems like over kill I thought the reactor would do away with the atomiser...

Yes and NO - smaller bubbles lead to larger surface area so faster uptake of CO2 I have reactors and inline atomisers

Yes and NO - smaller bubbles lead to larger surface area so faster uptake of CO2 I have reactors and inline atomisers
Oh ok, i guess i could just get a cheapish pump just tonrun the co2 aye, does anyone do it that way?

does anyone do it that way?
Yes, I have a cheap power head/pump that I am coupling up to an inline diffuser, but both will be in the tank and will exit via home made spray bar. I know that I am losing diffusion time by having a short delivery system but I hope to maintain flow. The reason for in tank was there was a horror story posted on this forum about an inline diffuser splitting, guy came back to more water on the floor than in his tank. If I find that my DIY system works, then I will get a more expensive pump. Bye the bye the pump will be fitted with a shrimp pre screen. I don't want little critters minced.

Yes, I have a cheap power head/pump that I am coupling up to an inline diffuser, but both will be in the tank and will exit via home made spray bar. I know that I am losing diffusion time by having a short delivery system but I hope to maintain flow. The reason for in tank was there was a horror story posted on this forum about an inline diffuser splitting, guy came back to more water on the floor than in his tank. If I find that my DIY system works, then I will get a more expensive pump. Bye the bye the pump will be fitted with a shrimp pre screen. I don't want little critters minced.

That is a horror story but i want to kerp it out of the tank i hate all that equipment inside but good to know what to be a bit more carefull with equipment wise

If you put too much resistance on your filter it will damage it over time, this is from first hand experience. :(

100% agree

You have a 240L tank with a filter that has an advertised flow rate of 1150 LPH which gives you a little under 5x turnover per hour assuming your filter is giving you that as an actual flow rate.
Normally it's suggested people aim for 10x tank turnover per hour in a planted tank.
If you were to put an inline reactor then you would probably find this further impedes flow.

Yeah i think 10 times turnover is excessive, my fish would be blown around crazy, but i dont think my 306 filter would be good enough with the aquamedic, so mybe go with a seperate setup for the the co2

The 10x filter turnover is from The manufacturers claimed output rates from the filters. These are usually with a empty filter and no head hight on the pump. In reality once you have media in the filter in your cabinet below the tank( pump head hight)a inline heater etc.
You are probably only getting 60% of the quoted flow rate I would think. So a 1000ltr hour filter will prob only give you 600ltr hour turnover.
So by using the 10x rule you should always have decent flow in your tank.

Ok i see but in my 140l i have an oase 350 at 1100 lph and the cardinals find it a bit hard to swim in certain places, msybe im thinkin*of when i had a wavemaker in the 240l it was too much for the fish then so maybe i need filter upgrade before the reactor or get an external pump just for the co2 reactor

Has anyone got any external pump recommendations, cheapish one that is as ive spent too much money lately

the cardinals find it a bit hard to swim in certain places
Maybe where the main filter flow is directed?
I have 2x Fluval G6 in my 200L. These have an actual flow of 1000 LPH (2460 LPH pump performance) each so I'm on just over 10x actual turnover. If fish get right in front of the filter output then they have a job swimming too.
A spraybar softens this 'intense' jet of water and improves flow in a lot of cases.

Back