• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow and surface agitation

EA James

Hi all,
I have an FX4 on my EA 1200 freshwater and use it for (apart from the obvious!) surface agitation and the main flow around the tank, which it actually does quite well. Since adding some floating plants I'd like less agitation on the surface so it's a bit calmer and the plants will settle more but then I'd lose the flow around the tank which i clearly don't want. I do have the Eheim 350 skimmer but that won't be enough by itself and it's only on when the co2 is on too.

I'm guessing the answer is to fit a powerhead into the tank? I've tried a couple before but one was way too powerful (Sicce Xstream 3500lph) and also a had a few SAE get stuck in it and die unfortunately. The other was a Hydor Koralia Evolution 2200 but that didn't seem powerful enough!

Also if i can resolve this and i turn the filter flow down will it also decrease the intake into the filter?

Any help or suggestions will be great

Cheers all

Hi @EA James

What specific problem are you trying to solve?

If it’s solely surface agitation you’re attempting to control the question is what style of outlet do you have from your filter? Spray bar/lily/jet etc...

Also if i can resolve this and i turn the filter flow down will it also decrease the intake into the filter?

You will have decreased your filters turnover per hour, yes.

Is it the original FX4 outlet? I have the FX5 output on my tank and I went with it to get high flow but not a swirling vortex. It does give me quite a good amount of surface agitation so I don’t think you’ll fix it unless you get another style output if you want to keep the same flow output. Otherwise just decrease the flow.

Sorry about the delayed reply guys, it's been one of those days!

What specific problem are you trying to solve?

If it’s solely surface agitation you’re attempting to control the question is what style of outlet do you have from your filter? Spray bar/lily/jet etc...
Well i guess it's kind of impossible now from reading the replies. I want to keep the turnover from the filter but with less surface agitation but still have good flow around the tank at the same time?!! Sounds unrealistic now :banghead:

Is it the original FX4 outlet?
I guess so, i bought the tank 2nd hand and the filter came with it. I think it's called a venezia? It's the twin outlet with the narrow nozzles not the wide mouth ones.

I don’t believe it’s impossible. If you went with more of a duck bill style output it should help. If I remember correctly, the FX4 outlet has the thin opening, but, it has channels above and below it that water flows through as well am I correct? The duck bill will shoot straight out and as long as it’s a couple inches below the water it should solve your problem.

In terms of flow, as long as your whole tank is showing some sort of plant sway, even just a little sway now and then, your okay. Your plants don’t need to be in a maelstrom in order to grow and thrive, quite opposite.

Hi all,
I have an FX4 on my EA 1200 freshwater and use it for (apart from the obvious!) surface agitation and the main flow around the tank, which it actually does quite well. Since adding some floating plants I'd like less agitation on the surface so it's a bit calmer and the plants will settle more but then I'd lose the flow around the tank which i clearly don't want. I do have the Eheim 350 skimmer but that won't be enough by itself and it's only on when the co2 is on too.

I'm guessing the answer is to fit a powerhead into the tank? I've tried a couple before but one was way too powerful (Sicce Xstream 3500lph) and also a had a few SAE get stuck in it and die unfortunately. The other was a Hydor Koralia Evolution 2200 but that didn't seem powerful enough!

Any help or suggestions will be great

Cheers all
Sorry M8, I seen this post then got distracted :eek:

What I did to reduce the flow from my FX6 after I got my maxspect gyres (apart from removing my custom spray bars) is to fit the standard FX6 outlet without the 'jet'/directional nozzles so max output from filter but minimal flow
1610563257765.png

When the maxspects are off, the tank turnover is very low

1610566331857.png

@Mr.Shenanagins it's this one. Matches up with your description well! Do the lines above and below the outlet slot do something then?
In terms of flow, as long as your whole tank is showing some sort of plant sway, even just a little sway now and then, your okay. Your plants don’t need to be in a maelstrom in order to grow and thrive, quite opposite.
Ok well that's good because i have just that! Nearly everything is gently swaying apart from my H.Pinnatifida that's grown quite tall and is now above the surface but right in front of the outlet, which may explain why it's lost most of its leaves as it's in full force!

Sorry M8, I seen this post then got distracted :eek:
No worries pal, I'm sure you've got more important things to be doing than sitting on a forum 😅

What I did to reduce the flow from my FX6 after I got my maxspect gyres (apart from removing my custom spray bars) is to fit the standard FX6 outlet without the 'jet'/directional nozzles so max output from filter but minimal flow
Now that is a good idea, Simple and effective! If i remove this though what can i use for the flow around the tank?
I don't think a powerhead would create a good enough flow to make sure everything is supplied with enough co2 and ferts would it?

Cheers all 🙂

I'm sure you've got more important things to be doing than sitting on a forum

Boris has asked me to stay at home, unless its essential, its amazing when you have all day to do stuff you get less done then when you go to work :rolleyes:

Back