• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

flow out of bubble counter

EmannAquarium

After restarting my Juwel 240L from new I went ahead with plants and now also adding fish through assistance from other forums here....

I am however still trying to dial in the CO2 system in order to achieve a 1pH drop in a duration of 2 hours from start on of CO2 to lights on...up to now I optimised the flow and injecting CO2 from a splitter to two inline diffusers before the spray bars...however a 1pH drop is only being achieved at about 5 hours from CO2 on.

In one of the posts I was advised to check the outflow from the cylinder as in the attached video you can note how flow is working - this I was advised may not seem normal as such a long duration can be caused by something wrong in the regulator/solenoid/bubble counter setup, leaks or kinked pipes....I have checked and rechecked for leaks and kinked pipes and I can eliminate these.

So can I kindly ask you to have a look at this video (copy and paste link)...you may note the bubble count is quite high and please look at the flow just out of the bubble counter to comment if this is normal. Please also advise if the pressures are normal as shown in the attached photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HE7ZvetOZcW38trh1

Look forward for your assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_20171128_194457960.jpg
    IMG_20171128_194457960.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 328
fish are mostly in the aquarium already for over 2 months now...that is why I am seeking assistance on dialing in the CO2...so any help appreciated.

first diffuser is UP Inline Atomiser, second diffuser is a 5cm long ceramic one...both inserted inside the spraybars...working pressure is the low pressure gauge right? do you note the flow in the transparent pipe out of the bubble counter...since it is a gas I was not thinking I would see like a bubble flowing through the pipe...and this is making me curious.

240l will require a high bubble count, most likely more bubbles than you could count!
Some folk who manage perfect flow & maintenance, lighting etc can get by with less than a one point PH drop but, as Ed points out, it is a lot easier to experiment without fish.
I think we will need much more detail and pictures to be able to help you .....

I think you would need a higher working pressure to run 2 diffusers!
A UP Atomiser needs between 2 and 3 bar to run....on some regulators!
What make is the other diffuser....is it a Bazooka type?

vydbMaY7K-abAD6D6&w=194&h=195&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.jpg

Hi...pls note attached link showing more details of the setup.

from help over here I reckon i managed to get correct filtration, flow, distribution requirements and surface agitation...now before starting to increase injection rate I am curious as to the flow shown in my first email to ensure this is correct from the bubble counter...

let me know if you need other details.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pleS73pUAND5KfSC3

I think you would need a higher working pressure to run 2 diffusers!
A UP Atomiser needs between 2 and 3 bar to run....on some regulators!
What make is the other diffuser....is it a Bazooka type?

the other type is a bazooka type filter from CO2 art....the main gauge reads almost 5 bar so should be ok for both diffusers I reckon no?

Looking at your video, it looks like you have the spray bar holes pointing at the surface, they should be facing straight ahead.
I think you will be loosing too much C02 from the surface agitation, you do need a small surface ruffle but, the main point of the spraybar is to try & get a rolling motion in the tank.
The flow should go across the surface, down the front glass, along the bottom & through the plants & then up the back glass... so the whole tank has a circular motion.
You seem to have plenty of flow it is just wasting C02.

Hi foxfish...spray bars and powerhead are pointing slightly upward to create some surface agitation...will check these and make them straight towards the front...but i still do need to create some agitation no?

hi hogan...that is why i m here to find help on getting diffusers running properly...

anyone can comment on the way the flow is shown coming out of the bubble counter...can you note something moving which then disappears about half way the hose...is this ok pls...seems like co2 is coming out in bursts rather then continuous flow...if i can describe it well...

tks

It is all pretty basic stuff once you have it sorted out but we have all warned you that too much gas will kill your fish!
Yes you do need some surface movement but if you have too much, you will use more C02 or the C02 you are putting in will just de gas on the surface.
I do feel for you as it can be tricky starting off & that is why it is soooo much easier without fish.
Do you have a PH pen?

Hi
I have noticed some bubbles coming from the connection to the UP atomiser!....I think?
Take the diffusers off the spray bars and check for leaks....especially around the connection from the Co2 tubing to the UP diffuser!
Put it in a glass jug or bowel.....observe closely there maybe a crack or leak there..... do the same with the Bazooka!

with soapy water i tested around regulator, bubble counter, splitter and lines....could not see any bubbles that may indicate a leak...

what i noted is that on the two way splitter that has seperate controls I had their respective valves opened just slightly...now I made just a quarter turn maybe and I can definitely see more CO2 coming out of the spray bars...could this mean something maybe that i was restricting all the flow coming from the bubble counter at the splitter...also what is the best way to have the CO2art equipment set at i.e. needle valve fully open and adjust flow at splitter valves or have splitter valves fully open, adjust flow through regulator needle valve and then fine tune again through splitter....

once i get the best way forward on this will proceed to check flows and pH drop again...

tks for help.

Never used a two way splinter!
But I would run the Co2 on the regulator as normal rate or slightly above and tweak the two way splitter!
Different diffusers and line lengths will need adjusting separately...to get a affective throughput!

Can you provide a picture of your splitter set up. We might be able to make better suggestions. Thanks

Back