• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

flowering plants for open topped aquaria

peter

Seedling
what are your favourite plants for flowering in open aquaria your thoughts would be apreciated. my favourites include hygrophilia combosa stricta and aponogeton crispus.
peter

There seems to be very little information on the flowers of aquatic plants, although the beansch(sp?) atlases and some pictures. Most of the plants I've grown that have flowered have been quite pretty, but tiny. I'm thinking of H. zosterifolia and B. monnieri. Crypts are supposed to have nice flowers.

I also heard that V.spiralis was named after the spiral nature of the flower, but I don't know of anyone that's ever had a vallis flower.

There's a superb example of a Nymphaea lotus in the latest edition of TAG.

I've never used open topped tanks but will be starting today when I recieve a 120x40x45xm braceless rimless tank with 4 x 54w HO T5 Arcadia overtank luminaire. I will be using pressurized CO2 with regular macro/micronutrient fertilsation and water changes (EI).

I look forward to experimenting with some stems plants that will hopefully flower.

Some Echinodorus have nice flowers too.

I have lymnophila arimantica flowering, it very pink and tiny, you can see it in the gallery.
Ive seen , nurpher japonica flower, its very nice, allmost like a small sun flower.

your are wrong as most good plant books will describe flowering as it a means of identifying the plant tropicas new catologue at £2 terrific value". mentions plants that flower also see Klauses article on open toped tanks on there site wwwtropica.dk the oriental catalogue also clasifies in to flowering and non flowering plants. some of the flowers are truly amazing the humble crinum can produce a 4ft amarylis like flower spike if you are lucky
peter

My Anubias constantly flower, i have to say they are not very pretty and they mainly flower underwater, they look a bit like Arum lilly flowers but a bit more compact.

Back