• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 205 opinions

FifeFish

Seedling
i was just wondering what you thought of them im thinking of buying a second one to replace my old one..
do you think i should go for something like an eheim?

I hear good things about the fluval filters, but for me Eheim are the best. More expensive but in my book worth every penny. I also don't like the way the fluval filters send the water in several different directions through the canister, which to my mind just slows the flow down unnecessarily.

All that said, if the 205 offers you the flow rate you are after at a price you can afford I'm sure you'll be pleased with it, as I say people always seem happy with theirs.

How big is the tank?

Sam

Themuleous said:
I also don't like the way the fluval filters send the water in several different directions through the canister, which to my mind just slows the flow down unnecessarily.

Hey Sam. What makes you say this? The flow is sent down one side (through mechanical filtration) and then back up through the bio filtration.

I guess other canister filters send the water straight to the bottom and pump it back up through everything. I'd of thought using gravity to get the water through the mechanical might mean it's easier to pump it back up through the bio balls/ceramic hoops etc. I'm not sure if this is the case, but it'd be interesting to know :)

I have 2 x 205's (and previously a 105) and they are all great.

The price is cheap but for the money they are good value, i like the quick lock clamps that fasten the lid down, very easy to use, priming again is easy, although some people say they have trouble but i dont know why! It has a lot of baskets for media, i have about 4 baskets of ceramic media, which is capped at the end with fine polishing pad, i can then simply tale the lid off for easy replacement :) The only downside i fond is the ribbed hosing, as they collect dirt and need some water blasting through them every month. You can replace it with clear hosing though, but you need to by some hose reducers which limits flow.

I'd echo the comments on replacing the hoses. The ribbed fluval hose is rubbish compared to silicone hose. I'd just add that you'll need different inlet/outlets to fit the silicone hose.

this filters the *****. best i had. i have 2x 305 and it never fails me though the hosing and outlets do it dirty like the other dood said. when u turn it off and back on it will spray **** coming out of the tubes :/ but it does a gud job as for water flow and filtration. the outlet is faster then my sink fosset lOL

Edited by Ed Seeley to remove bad language. Please do not use even misspelt bad language on this family friendly forum, thanks.

Hi Everyone,

This is my 1th post. One thing. I`ve got Fluval 205. After a year I`ve problem with the gasket. The Gasket is in good condition but sometimes when i put back The cover and start my filter water starts leak out!!! So I`ve to replace the cover 2-3 times before I stop leaking water. So, no more Fluval.

Zvirus

I have faced similar problem with my Fluval 205, but I figured out simply solution for this. If this will happen again, then remove gasket from the cover, dry it and put some cooking oil on it. Fit gasket back to the cover and cover should fit very smoothly to the filter. This works great for my filter, and I am doing this every second time when openning my filter. Hope this will work with your filter as well.

I agree about ribbed hosing in Fluvals, they are a bit of nightmare.

Also Vaseline or Silcone Grease helps to seal those gaskets.I have heard bad things about the fluvals leaking, but i believe that was on the older model.

Cheers Gordon.

Back