• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 306 Modification

Not having a filter like this I did wonder how the water is supposed to flow through the foams. This modification seems to make sense unless I’m missing something? What do you think?

If you read the comments, there's one from him 2 years later where he admitted he put the red divider and foams back and it was working better. Sometimes people do things that turn out not to make sense and put them on YouTube. Here's a clearer video of the same filter, you should be able to work out how the water gets to the second part and why it would be coming in at the bottom of the divider

Thanks for posting. I watched that video after the other one but it’s still not clear to me how the water flows around the filter. There are some diagrams that show the passage of water through the Fluvals but the quality of the images isn’t great.

Water simply goes in down though the sponges, and out up through the media baskets. Same design since the 04 series, but each new iteration seems to have slightly more efficient media choices, a stronger pump and more durable priming handle.

41Djf4g13JL.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't think of looking for a diagram! I was going by the impeller being on the side that corresponded to the foams, on the original I was 'why is he doing that, the water obviously goes to the bottom then flows up the other side' what he did to it would mean a lot of bypass , even more once the polyfil got clogged

I downloaded a clearer version of that diagram a while back but it’s still not absolutely clear how the water flows through the foams that go against the baskets. This video though explains where the water is supposed to flow. It seems like a strange design compared to some others out there. Earlier versions of the filter were apparently well know for bypass. Some changes have been made in later models but I remain to be convinced.

Back