• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 306

zebradanio

I,ve taken the charcoal out of my new fluval 306 , what would be the best replacement more ceramic noodles or foam , if foam which ?
I was thinking fine wool to polish the water but would that reduce the flow of the filter ?
Is the the fine foam/wool just a temporary media to polish the water and then use something coarser ?
Any suggestions appreciated
Thx

I'd personally leave it as is, ie. not replace the charcoal with anything. The fine sponge should filter out small particles that the coarse foam doesn't, without clogging and slowing the flow like floss tends to.

You'd be right to consider filter floss a temporary thing, although sediment in the water column will settle on it's own eventually.

The way the 306 is set up out the box is fine and shouldnt need any altering. The white pad is filter floss but needs regular changing but rather than buy fluval branded just buy a roll of filter wool from finest filters. It will last ages.
Adding some already existing mature media would be good plus you dont really get much of the ceramic bio media with the filter.

I personally didnt bother with the carbon as it reduced flow

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Gonna go with more ceramic noodles from old filter , set the filter up last night and slightly dissapointed at the noise level , while I wouldnt describe it as noisy its certainly not almost silent as I,ve heard it described as , my other filter is a eheim ecco pro 130 , 500 litres per hour which is almost silent , I know the the fluval is a lot more powerful at 1150 litres per hour so would expect more noise but not so much more , got all the air out of it , its the motor thats making the noise , I read somewhere that they become quiter over time , any of your 306,s noisey to start off with ?

Mine was really noisy to start with, grinding and rumbling. I phoned the shop I got it from p@h and they said give it a week to settle down and see how it goes. After a week it was just as bad so they said bring in the top part of the Filter for a replacement and that was a lot quieter. After a week or so could hardly hear it.

Back