• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 405??

wbaguesty

Ive had many fish tanks before but not done a planted tank until now.

I am wondering what filters to use on the tank I have,

The size of the tank is 36x12x15 so 24gal or roughly 110L.

Would a fluval 405 be too much for the tank??

I also have an old External Fluval 103 & an internal Fluval 3+

What would peoples recommendations?? What sort of lph would be good for a planted tank??

Cheers

wbaguesty said:
What would peoples recommendations?? What sort of lph would be good for a planted tank??
10X tank turnover per hour is recommended for a planted tank, but there are some crazy people out there using 20x, the Fluval 405 would be ideal for you tank.

The general rule says 10x your tank an hour, though more is ultimately much better. I'd go for 2 x tetra tec 1200ex's. Something with 2000x tank turnover would be ideal though you can get away with less.

Cheers for the reply.

Would I use the spray bar to distribute the flow as I presume it would be very powerful? Where would I point it?

Guesty

A Fluval 405 is a good size for your tank.

Positioning the spraybar vertically in the rear corner, flowing across the back glass works well. Or horizontally along the back, or horizontally on a side glass.

Consider aesthetics and performance for your individual layout.

Go for what George says, he's far more knowledgeable than I.
I can vouch for the vertical spray bar. Every time I've used that configuration flow has been outstanding.

Back