• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval co2 ceramic diffuser, Up aqua atomizer and solenoids

Antoni

HI all,

probably has been discussed before, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I have bought the Fluval ceramic co2 diffuser few months back and installed it on my nano tank. It has been working great and I thought is a great piece of kit, until I decided to use one on my 60 cm tank. The co2 system there has a dupla reg and solenoid. I have attached the diffuser and set the bubble rate at about 2 bps. Everything was looking great, until next day...when the timer switched the co2 back on, it took about 3 hours for the first bubbles to break through and the bubble rate was as low as 30 bubbles per minute... I have adjusted it again, but on the next morning I had the same problem.
So I increased the pressure to 3 bars, but there was no change at all. I ended up readjusting the bubble rate every morning. I have checked for leaks and there were none. I have even changed the co2 tubing with a new one...no improvement :banghead:

So I bought a new diffuser, in case the old one was clogged or defective, but no difference.
The solution was to run the co2 constantly 24/7 at really low rate at about 45 bubbles per minute. It works ok, the bubble rate is constant, but the consumption of co2 is a lot higher.

I was thinking of getting the up aqua atomizer, but as the membrane is similar to the disk of the Fluval diffuser and as I have read about similar problems with solenoid, wanted to ask you guys, if you use the fluval or up aqua diffuser/atomizer with solenoid, have you have experienced similar problem and what way did you find around this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi. Have you thought about the length of the CO2 tube? If you can make it shorter then maybe it will take less time for the pressure to be high enough at the diffuser end?

Read this bertie just had problems with his up inline

Here we go Again! | UK Aquatic Plant Society

He's running at 4 bar pressure now but others have no problems at 2.5bar. Its pretty strange really and i can only put it down to issues with the manufacturing process and quality control or fake units

Thanks Andy! I was thinking about increasing it, but in the manual of my reg its written, that the maximum working pressure should be 3 bars... I don't know if I increase it, would it affect the reg or the worst would be that the hose blows off somewhere along the line....

When you adjust a reg you apply tension to a spring. going more than 3 bar will possibly damage spring by taking it past its design limit. It would be ok to see if you need more pressure, but long term a better reg would be needed. Also too much pressure could blow diffuser off pipework which could be a pain if it smashes against hardscape in your tank.

I run the Fluval diffuser at only 1 bar with no problems.
You might try taking the solenoid out of the system and see if it makes any difference, likewise any one way valves just for the purpose of testing.

Thanks guys!

When you adjust a reg you apply tension to a spring. going more than 3 bar will possibly damage spring by taking it past its design limit. It would be ok to see if you need more pressure, but long term a better reg would be needed. Also too much pressure could blow diffuser off pipework which could be a pain if it smashes against hardscape in your tank.

That is why I don't want to go higher than 3 bars.

The reg is very good and stable with any other diffuser. Being using this brand for more than 6 years now.

I run the Fluval diffuser at only 1 bar with no problems.
You might try taking the solenoid out of the system and see if it makes any difference, likewise any one way valves just for the purpose of testing.

It works when the system is on 24/7, I have tried by setting up the timer on for 24 hours, but does not work, if it switches off.

It works when the system is on 24/7, I have tried by setting up the timer on for 24 hours, but does not work, if it switches off.

So the only change is the solenoid closing and opening and then it doesn't work, is it possible the solenoid is not opening fully?

Probably the hose will blow off. However I have fixed the problem by installing 2 new check valves - one near the co2 botle (where the original one was) and one 40 cm away from the diffuser ( outside of the tank) and so far no problems. It keeps constant pressure and the bubbles start coming out of the disk almost immediately after the solenoid switches on.

Back