• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Flex 57L beginners journey

philljoynes

Hi all,

I am really excited to start this journal mapping the journey of my first successful (I tried once before, it didn't end well) Aquascape and share the research, learning and journey, hopefully helping others along the way.

I have been given a Fluval Flex 57L for Christmas, I selected it because @George Farmer and Mark G "The Geordie Scaper" have also kept this aquarium with good results George's Video.

I have unboxed it and placed it on my desk, the idea being that I will have something lovely to watch whilst working. I am thinking of moving it to a small cabinet or bedside table next to my desk as it would be easier to reach and maintain!

IMG_20210105_091538.jpg

I'm going to take my time, create something that will allow me to "walk before i can run" learning to grow plants in a balanced system. If I decide I have done something wrong or don't like a plant I will change it.

Looking for ideas of easy aquascapes to inspire me, I came across and would recommend looking at the layouts on Tropica's website: Inspiration for aquascapes and planted tanks - Tropica Aquarium Plants. I particularly like Nature style aquascapes and have selected Tropica layout 115 Layout 115 - David Pierce - Tropica Aquarium Plants, created by David Pierce, owner of @Aquarium Gardens. The main reasons I have selected this is because I like the look, it is designed for beginners and doesn't require CO2 injection. It will give me a great base to learn and develop. There is also a video on youtube on how it was created, which will help me a lot with setting it up:

I will update the journal at each stage. Please feel free to suggest, correct or enlighten me, I'm not precious ;) and keen to learn!

Best wishes,

Phill

Hi Phill, the light distribution on the flex is not great. The scape with wood was my first one and the wood threw lots of shadow so I recommend you take account of this when planting.

Other than that I would recommend optimising flow.

I’ll write up my thoughts and experience a little later for you. Looking forward to your progress updates. I have a journal on this you might find useful

Thanks for the advice. Light distribution wasn't something I had thought about before, but it makes complete sense. I am now in two minds about changing the scape to something more like this: How to Keep An Aquascape Low Maintenance — TANK TESTED, which will not block the light so much. Either way, I need to make sure light levels are taken into my plant placement, which I now see they should always be! Researching it a little it looks like Crypts and Anubis do well in shaded areas.

The flow will be an interesting one, I put some plastic Vallisneria in the back right (under the flow nozles) of my daughters Goldfish Fluval Flex 57L (Father Christmas was very kind) and noticed that getting it to sway a little in the flow was not easy! My understanding is that the general rule is to try and have a gentle sway on all plants?

I have sent an e-mail to @Aquarium Gardens about hardscape, for which I am waiting to hear back, understandably. I imagine they are very busy at the moment with Christmas orders, new orders, Covid restrictions and we have the new Brexit rules which I am sure will affect them. It gives me some extra time to learn :)

I am having a look through your Journal Fluval Flex planted tank, It looks like a good read and I remember looking through it a while ago and admiring your great work at a CO2 holding solution! Thanks, Paul

I have not posted any updates and the list of items to update on just keeps growing, so instead I am going to stop procrastinating and just post a picture of the scape in its current state. I also decided a few weeks ago to get some CO2 injection and it has made a difference. Any questions, suggestions please feel free to reply.

PXL_20210629_105629107.jpg

I have not posted any updates and the list of items to update on just keeps growing, so instead I am going to stop procrastinating and just post a picture of the scape in its current state. I also decided a few weeks ago to get some CO2 injection and it has made a difference. Any questions, suggestions please feel free to reply.

View attachment 171294
Very nice, like the carpet, looks great!

I am looking to replace the Hygrophila Polysperma at the back with a plant that has smaller leaves. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or should I grow the Ludwigia Palustris Super Red and replant the tips in this area? I am thinking that maybe too much red.

Back