Fluval FX5 external filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by Dolly Sprint 16v, 10 Jan 2009.

1. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Gang@Ukaps

Can anybody supply the dimension of an FX5 filter and any issues people have / heard of - I have trawelled through the net trying to find the dimensions. Previous post regarding external filters - considered buying a Ehein 2078 was advised to buy a 2080. My cupboard will accomendate a 2080 just, to throw another spanner in the works, it was mentioned to fit an internal power head to improve water circulation - don't know whether i fancy this - has anybody done this or considering do this.

Debate:
    1. Buy an FX5 size dependant / issues and concerns
    2. Eheim 2076 or 2080
    3. Stick with what I have EX1200 and fit a internal powerhead.

Assistance required

Current set up:
    Tank: Aqua One Ar980 approx. 217 litres.
    External filter : Tetratec 1200.
    Substrate: Seachem florite 2 – 3” deep
    Heater: Tetratec 300 watt –bigger than required.
    Substrate Heater. JBL Protherm basis 250 ltr
    CO2: Dennerle Professional up to 300 ltr.
    Lighting: 2 x Flora glow 30 watt 36” in length
    1 x Aqua glow 25 watt 30” in length.

Regards
    Paul.

2. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Gang@ukaps

Quick up date: Found the sizes 55 x 40 x 40 cm this is big - will not fit in cupboard, so this can be ruled out.

Regards

Paul.

3. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I have a Koralia 1 in my 180l tank and it is very effective and cheaper than buying a new, more powerful filter. The only problem is that it is extra equipment in the tank. Personally that doesn't really bother me.

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Or just add another EX1200 to the tank ;) if you have space in the cabinet for a second filter.

5. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Thanks to you both for the reply – as for addition Ex1200 no space available, the biggest filter I could accommodate is an Eheim 2080 and I am not sure about putting additional flow into the tank that is not filtered.

Regards
    Paul

6. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I've got a 48x18x18 tank around 250lt. I am running the 2080 and its a great filter but I did find that it didn't quite provide enough flow so I added an eheim compact 3000+ power head on a closed loop (to keep the equipment out of the tank) and that seems to provide enough flow.

It doesn't seem to mind pumping unfiltered water either :)

Sam