• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval FX5 external filter

Gang@Ukaps

Can anybody supply the dimension of an FX5 filter and any issues people have / heard of - I have trawelled through the net trying to find the dimensions. Previous post regarding external filters - considered buying a Ehein 2078 was advised to buy a 2080. My cupboard will accomendate a 2080 just, to throw another spanner in the works, it was mentioned to fit an internal power head to improve water circulation - don't know whether i fancy this - has anybody done this or considering do this.

Debate:
1. Buy an FX5 size dependant / issues and concerns
2. Eheim 2076 or 2080
3. Stick with what I have EX1200 and fit a internal powerhead.

Assistance required

Current set up:
Tank: Aqua One Ar980 approx. 217 litres.
External filter : Tetratec 1200.
Substrate: Seachem florite 2 – 3” deep
Heater: Tetratec 300 watt –bigger than required.
Substrate Heater. JBL Protherm basis 250 ltr
CO2: Dennerle Professional up to 300 ltr.
Lighting: 2 x Flora glow 30 watt 36” in length
1 x Aqua glow 25 watt 30” in length.

Regards
Paul.

Gang@ukaps

Quick up date: Found the sizes 55 x 40 x 40 cm this is big - will not fit in cupboard, so this can be ruled out.

Regards

Paul.

I have a Koralia 1 in my 180l tank and it is very effective and cheaper than buying a new, more powerful filter. The only problem is that it is extra equipment in the tank. Personally that doesn't really bother me.

Thanks to you both for the reply – as for addition Ex1200 no space available, the biggest filter I could accommodate is an Eheim 2080 and I am not sure about putting additional flow into the tank that is not filtered.

Regards
Paul

I've got a 48x18x18 tank around 250lt. I am running the 2080 and its a great filter but I did find that it didn't quite provide enough flow so I added an eheim compact 3000+ power head on a closed loop (to keep the equipment out of the tank) and that seems to provide enough flow.

It doesn't seem to mind pumping unfiltered water either :)

Sam

Back