• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fluval fx5

billy boy

Haveing just fitted my new filter, i thought i would read the user manual a bit closer and found you can dismatle the motor unit so you can clean the impeller, is there any fx owners that can tell me how often they do this? also what did you find was the best way to use the media baskets, as just now i filled them with the media from my 405 which was bio balls,puigen and filter wool and the foam blocks, so once the filter has been run for a few weeks i will remove the blocks and replace with? not to sure what with at the mo but maybe leaning towards Sintered Glass or Siporax

Just looking for some ideas that has worked for you!

cheers billy boy

Someone on here must run a fx? surely :? I must say the fx has been running for 3 days now,and i find it noiser than expected, I must try and put some foam or the like under it to see if that reduces the heavy hum that comes off it.

I sold one of my fx5's to ceg, he might be able to give you a better indication, for me though in the very brief period I used mine it was quiet/silent the only issue I had was it was far too powerful for my tank.
You do have to make sure everything is super tight, I'd recommend swapping the corrugated tubing if you can, it makes it even more powerful.

SteveUK said:
It is quite a monster of a filter. I'm not suprised it hums to be honest. I know Garuf had one of these, but I'm not sure if he was running it or not.

It's a monster ok, I measured it before i ordered it, but it's even bigger in the flesh :D when i say hum , I swear it vibrates the floor boards, it's in the liveing room at the mo and i can here the HUM at the other end of the house :eek:

Themuleous said:
You might find this interesting

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

Although I will add that they say the Eheim is whisper quite, when mine is very definitely not, but I can live with a slight hum from the cupboard if it means I get a good filter. Which the Eheim is.

Sam

Good link sam, just wish i got a read of it before i bought my fluval :( haveing said that it's all i could afford at the time.

Back