• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval fx6 install on fluval 1200 profile

Savi_g

Hello everyone!
so for my first post I’m really hoping someone can help me out a little just before I go and make a mess and abandon hope of an ideal instal.
I’ve just bought a brand new fx6 to replace my quite frankly, weaker than expected 406 that I have on my second hand tank which is a fluval 1200 profile. It’s 325ltrs and the 406 came with the tank. After hearing that I should aim for 10x cycling in my tank and knowing all companies exaggerate whit their figures, I went for the fx6 which “claims” to move 3000lph. But I don’t expect that with a canister full of media.
My question is, depending on wether the original internal tank in and out pipes that push through the bottom of the tank haven’t been changed would they DEFINITELY be too small to attach the fx6 pipes/rubber fittings to or are they just going to pop off under pressure or put too much strain on the filter. The fx6 pipes compared to the 406 pipes are obviously bigger but my thoughts were that with a jubilee clip holding them on, the fit would be plenty tight enough. Is this just wishful thinking? I literally did a straight swap with the new fx6’s outlet nozzle and the old internal one so surely if that fits, the new pipes should fit on the old internals too...right? Sorry if this is too long, I probably should of checked other posts to see if this is abnormally long 😂 but I’m all for too much info.

The normal fluval through tank fittings usually have a reducing tail on them, the small tail is 16mm dia which is the size of standard 406 pipes. The fx6 pipes from memory are 21mm internally so won't fit on the 16mm tail, even with jubilee clips.
Thankfully the tail size above the 16mm ones are 21mm and will accept the fx6 pipes.

The only bit I'm not sure of is if you can simply cut the 16mm tail off and expose the full 21mm opening of the bigger tail, if you can't the pipe will still fit but will be restricted at the point where it narrows.

Picture added so you can see how the tails reduce.
Screenshot_20210326-220446_Chrome.jpg

are they just going to pop off under pressure or put too much strain on the filter.

They wont pop off 'if' done well but it would put more strain on the impellor and you would get a big hit on output IMO. I used and FX6 on my 500L and spent a lot if time making sure I kept the output maxed.
Remember the x10 rule is all about flow in tank and not just filter output, so you can use powerheads to make up the x10 flow. I used spray bars and an extra pump on independent line for some time and after some time changed to Maxspect Gyres x2 and never looked back. Olympus is calling might be worth a read as all plumbing details etc ;)

Amazing guys, just what I needed from both sides. I did think about other ways of adding flow but I wanted it from one single source as I’ve limited time in my week, limited funds and wanted a cleaner look with just the internals showing. So if I’ve got this correctly, the first attachments I see under the tank are the smaller 16mm ends but beyond that are the ones that will fit? I’m not sure if I’m able to get to those, if they screw in more to allow them to pop through the bottom and become exposed but that’s definitely the route I’m going to go down. As for the extra strain, running it lower isnt a problem for me as it will still output a lot more that’s what I was running and I can always replace a motor/prop if it ever does give way but I think that’ll be some time away. But thank you, this was really helpful. Put faith in me actually coming here and asking for help rather than spending hours searching the net with no answers at the end of it.

Right, yes! Had a look, the 21mm section is right there with the nut above so I’ll be brave, cut the 16mm away and attach straight to the 21mm with no flow reduction issues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 301
Success! Filters working great, no problems so far or leaks and all I’ve had to buy were some 20/30mm jubilee clips for under the tank. From what I’ve seen, across most the fluval100 to 500ltr tanks that come with internals they all have that tapering from 21mm near the tightening nut to 16mm at the hose end. Don’t qoute me on the 21mm because I could have my numbers wrongs but you catch my drift. Whatever the mm is on the fx pipes is the same after that first section of pipe on the tanks and fx rubbers are a perfectly fine fit, especially with the clips. Getting rid of the last section allows for a much tighter fit and from what I’ve seen so far next to no loss in force from the pump. Pimp my filter was adding A LOT more noodles than what comes with the fx6 so I know I’m not loosing that much compared to that set up. Anyway, Hopefully if someone runs into the same problem they’ll be brave enough to try the same after reading this. Thanks again guys! Absolutely love the fx6, super quiet and my plants at the opposite end of tank are finally blowing in the wind. Top of the tank all the way down to the substrate.

Last edited:
Thankyou so much. I have been spending days searching the internet for getting my fx6 fitted on fluval Roma 240 and finally got the answers to my questions. Below is the pic of what I did and wasn’t sure if it was ok. Please comment. Savi_g if you don’t mind could you kindly post a picture of your new pipe work into the fx6 from the fluval tank. Thankyou.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 246
Thankyou so much. I have been spending days searching the internet for getting my fx6 fitted on fluval Roma 240 and finally got the answers to my questions. Below is the pic of what I did and wasn’t sure if it was ok. Please comment. Savi_g if you don’t mind could you kindly post a picture of your new pipe work into the fx6 from the fluval tank. Thankyou.
Hello mate, congrats. I know what a headache it can be. If I remember I’ll try and get a picture up, my filter is due a clean now anyway. All I’d say is just on a safety side because I’m out of the house a lot with work..maybe put too much media in just to slow down the flow a bit? My only fear is when it restarts every 12 hours to auto prime. The kick on that can be a little strong and your outflow is half one gauge and then smaller as it goes into the tank. MIGHT put a bit of pressure of the connection but I think yours looks a little more secure than mine and mine has been fine so far so fingers crossed 🤞🏻.

Back