• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval light, power cut and injected CO2

Hufsa

I have two Fluval 3.0 lights, these are made in such a way that if the power cuts out for any reason, they need to be manually restarted. Annoying, but ok.
This is not really a problem for a low tech tank, as the worst that will happen is that the lights are off for a few days if I happen to be away.
However I am about to start injected CO2, and this prompted me to think about what will happen when the lights fail to come back on, but the CO2 injection proceeds as scheduled.
I imagine that without any uptake of CO2 from plants, and no extra oxygen produced by photosynthesis, the CO2 levels of the tank could become high, and it doesnt sound good to me.
There is no obvious way to fix the lights, but I was thinking it would be better that if the power is cut for some reason, that it also cuts the CO2, and that the CO2 also isnt turned back on again.
Does anyone know of a way to do this?

I have two Fluval 3.0 lights, these are made in such a way that if the power cuts out for any reason, they need to be manually restarted. Annoying, but ok.
This is not really a problem for a low tech tank, as the worst that will happen is that the lights are off for a few days if I happen to be away.
However I am about to start injected CO2, and this prompted me to think about what will happen when the lights fail to come back on, but the CO2 injection proceeds as scheduled.
I imagine that without any uptake of CO2 from plants, and no extra oxygen produced by photosynthesis, the CO2 levels of the tank could become high, and it doesnt sound good to me.
There is no obvious way to fix the lights, but I was thinking it would be better that if the power is cut for some reason, that it also cuts the CO2, and that the CO2 also isnt turned back on again.
Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Yes, crazy isn't it that they don't have an internal battery powered clock and default back to the last on state!

I can't think of how you'd prevent the CO2 coming back on in this situation - you could tackle it from the other angle though, and look at UPS battery backups (there are plenty available used for PC's) if you experience frequent short power cuts, which will prevent the lights going out in the first place.

I'd have to double check but I'm sure my tp link tapo plugs default setting after a power cut also resorts to off. If that were the case put the co2 solenoid on a smart plug.

@John q yeah I bought this plug today, and also had a small power cut when the electrician mistook our fuse cabinet for the neighbors.
But wont it turn the CO2 back on again the next day, since the "on" command is set to a certain scheduled time?

Screenshot_20220217-175936_Tapo.jpg

I thought this would be the solution until I saw the small text saying "If a schedule has been set, the plug's state will follow the schedule"

Unleeeessss... I dont set the CO2 on a schedule, but find some other way to control it.. Hmmmm

Yes it would turn back on at next setting.

Think my advice may be a false dawn anyway, just unplugged the tapo and plugged it back in and the co2 came straight back on 🙄

Yes it would turn back on at next setting.

Think my advice may be a false dawn anyway, just unplugged the tapo and plugged it back in and the co2 came straight back on 🙄

Yes, I thought they maintained the last on state.

I can't think of how you'd prevent the CO2 coming back on in this situation - you could tackle it from the other angle though, and look at UPS battery backups (there are plenty available used for PC's) if you experience frequent short power cuts, which will prevent the lights going out in the first place.
Problem with UPS is they start getting painfully expensive for reasonably run time...

For example the cheapest APC BVX700LI @ £120 quotes 36 minutes run time @ 50W. I am assuming the 50W is your light.

However you MUST also have your CO2 on (algae farm if lights on and no CO2 & filter!!), 5W Co2 solenoid, 20W filter and you are down to 20mins.

So might be better to spend the money on lights that remember their settings :cool:.

Screenshot_20220217-180821_Tapo.jpg

Aha!
The tooltip changes when "Off" is selected.
I selected this setting, plugged the entire smartplug out to simulate a naughty electrician, and then plugged it back in. Didnt come back on.
I will test this tonight by unplugging it again, plugging it back in, and then leaving it off, and seeing if the schedule turns it back on in the morning. Will report back with result

Problem with UPS is they start getting painfully expensive for reasonably run time...

For example the cheapest APC BVX700LI @ £120 quotes 36 minutes run time @ 50W. I am assuming the 50W is your light.

However you MUST also have your CO2 on (algae farm if lights on and no CO2 & filter!!), 5W Co2 solenoid, 20W filter and you are down to 20mins.

So might be better to spend the money on lights that remember their settings :cool:.

Yeah, it depends on the nature if the power outages. Lots of places for example get the power switching off for a split second on a regular basis. As you say, if it covers you for 10-20 minutes, that will cover the vast majority of outages. Obviously if the power trips for hours at a time, then nothings going to really help.

I will test this tonight by unplugging it again, plugging it back in, and then leaving it off, and seeing if the schedule turns it back on in the morning. Will report back with result
It will - it doesn't lose the schedule.

Thanks for the info
Yeah, it depends on the nature if the power outages. Lots of places for example get the power switching off for a split second on a regular basis. As you say, if it covers you for 10-20 minutes, that will cover the vast majority of outages. Obviously if the power trips for hours at a time, then nothings going to really help.
Yeah unfortunately the power cuts are usually for a couple of hours or more when they happen, however they are very rare. So its good news but bad news in this specific situation.

Getting non-stupid lights would be ideal, I probably will some day, but its not at the top of the priorities list 😕

Last edited:
Back