• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Shaker 252 - Glass thickness

I'm in the process of buying a new tank and liked the look of the fluval shaker 252 but I couldn't find any info regarding the glass thickness. I contacted fluval directly and they advised the thickness is 5mm... considering the dimensions (105cm x 40cm x 60cm) and volume of water the tank can hold isn't this quite thin?

What would be the recommended thickness for the type of tank I'm after (4 footer was the initial plan but this is slightly shorter than that) and how important is the thickness when considering a tank?

10 mm is pretty standard for the length (it's what you use for a 4ft rimless tank unless it's unusually tall) and I guess they get away with thinner sides because it's a shorter span and the whole thing is braced top and bottom. If this was an unbraced tank then it would likely be 10mm all round.

It seems bizarre you were quoted 5mm, I'd guess that's for the smallest tank in the range and they got confused.

@Nick potts yeah I've seen it... I noticed in the comments he added that the side panels were actually 8mm as opposed to the 7mm quoted initially. Thanks

@mort thanks. I didn't believe the 5mm when they told me, thought it was a typo. I'll give them a call tomorrow and double check

Cheers all

I called Fluval (Hagen) this morning and the lady I spoke to was adamant the shaker 252 glass thickness was 5mm... said she has one on display behind her and measured it again whilst I was on the phone... still find it hard to believe that

I've messaged a few members on here who appear to have the same model in the hope they can clarify (would measure myself if any of my LFS had the shaker on display)

I think Fluval need to work on their spec sheets for customer service reps in this case.

These are the measurements, with pictures, of the Shaker 252 glass, taken a couple of minutes ago;

Side glass: 8mm
1651055619179.png

Front Glass: 10mm
1651055628489.png

Back