• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal Finished.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal... PMA!

Whitey89 said:
Everything is looking absolutely Fantastic mate.

Great job! That Eleocharis sp. Mini looks super lush too!
:lol: think you must have been looking at the older photos!
Will overcome the issues though :)

im sure two weeks from now you will be seeing a huge different ady as far as the problems go. Being able to control the intensity from your light will make all the difference mate, having a hanging light has been the best move ive made in a very long time.. i was also surprised at how high i ended up keeping it! Looking forward to next sundays update :thumbup:
Those cherries do look very nice indeed, MA cherries are normally really low grade and high price IME.

Diamond tetra and pygmy corys are my current 'flavour of the month', have you thought about hachets, might work well with the theme...just the open top to consider :?

wow, thats some melt mate...i expect it's be a flow/c02 problem in that corner? Are you continuing with the good maintenance of the tank??

I would have a look at Ember tetras, they are great when they colour up, i have some and they are a deep orange, they stand out really well.

Keep the chin up mate, you will win.

ps get some Purigen as well.

easerthegeezer said:
im sure two weeks from now you will be seeing a huge different ady as far as the problems go. Being able to control the intensity from your light will make all the difference mate, having a hanging light has been the best move ive made in a very long time.. i was also surprised at how high i ended up keeping it! Looking forward to next sundays update :thumbup:
Those cherries do look very nice indeed, MA cherries are normally really low grade and high price IME.

Diamond tetra and pygmy corys are my current 'flavour of the month', have you thought about hachets, might work well with the theme...just the open top to consider :?

Hi Iain,
im hoping ill see an improvement, and i should have sorted the lighting a long time ago, so simple to do but hopefully very effective...probably had a lot to do with some of the recurring issues in Dragons Crypt also.
Yeah, the cherries looked more like Sakuras, so grabbed a few. Funny you should mention Pygmy cory's, Hastatus were also on my maybe list along with Paraguay tetras which they mimic....but Paraguay tetras dont really school and are a little quarrelsome amongst themselves so maybe not the most relaxing fish to watch.
Hatchets wouldnt be a problem as i have the glass covers i could use to prevent escapees, but id feel a bit bad on them as theres no surface cover, and the water movements a little fast up there....i love them though and they would look cool.
Cheers for the encouragement too :thumbup:

ianho said:
wow, thats some melt mate...i expect it's be a flow/c02 problem in that corner? Are you continuing with the good maintenance of the tank??

I would have a look at Ember tetras, they are great when they colour up, i have some and they are a deep orange, they stand out really well.

Keep the chin up mate, you will win.

ps get some Purigen as well.

Cheers Ian,
tell me about it, the plants melted completely, the stauro even down the roots! Ive been syphoning the mush with an airline every other day along with 60% water changes and regular pre-filter cleaning and algae scraping, so maintenance has been good. That happened to the stauro in 2 days from the start of it, thats the last patch to go which has happened today! The rate at which it fails is shocking :wideyed: The flow/c02 in that corner is the best anywhere in the tank as the flow goes from top right (where the spraybar is) along the surface to left side and down that side panel to the bottom where its turned back on itself along the substrate :?
I already had purigen in the filter until this afternoon when i took it out to improve flow in my knackered G6 :sick:
In all honesty dont think im gonna put it back in, im gonna try good old activated carbon again.
Yeah, embers look nice and stay small, do they school?

tim said:
sure you'll make it bounce back ady knowing the solutions is half the battle mate :thumbup: for me fish wise nice big school of dwarf pencilfish :D
Yeah pencilfish are also very cool, love the marginatus sp. and they would look great in numbers in the mid/upper water zone, but they may not be fans of the open bright tank and the flow?
Hopefully ill make good the situation, the Ammania bonsai stopping melting has encouraged me that reduced lighting intensity is the key :thumbup:

Cheers chaps.

I saw platinum tetras for the first time on sat and loved them, definately on my list for when I get a big tank.

Platinums do loose that sheen as they get bigger, shame.

Yeah they stay small, but they aren't the best schoolers in the tetra family. They do live up to their name though, once settled they look like Embers flying from a fire. I'd love to stick a massive amount in a tank.

Any luck with the filter Ady ?

ldcgroomer said:
I saw platinum tetras for the first time on sat and loved them, definately on my list for when I get a big tank.

They were my original choice, but blackwater fish which prefer subdued lighting to show their best....plus i cant find any :lol:

ianho said:
Platinums do loose that sheen as they get bigger, shame.

Yeah they stay small, but they aren't the best schoolers in the tetra family. They do live up to their name though, once settled they look like Embers flying from a fire. I'd love to stick a massive amount in a tank.

Ive just watched your video on you tube today in the little iwagumi scape. They looked really nice chasing each other around the rock! They seem to stay quite low in the water column though so if i were to get some i may need to think about another species to compliment them higher up as this is really where i want the action as its a mass of open space. I suppose ideally i like the idea of a reasonably active single species schooler in the mid/upper area, but just dont really know what yet. If i cant decide ill prob go with embers and maybe give pencilfish a try as already suggested as i was tempted by these when the last scape was going.

Antipofish said:
Any luck with the filter Ady ?

Not yet, the flow is improved since removing the chemical cartridge which suggests a resistance/power issue. Phoned hagen late on today but they were very busy so left a message but no return call yet. Will try again tomorrow. My lfs was also going to ring so will give them a call too. Still in warranty so thats good and should get it reslolved. Im not hugely concerned just yet since ive managed to increase the flow so filtration/distribution will still be good....if it fails though that will be an issue so the sooner the better really.

Cheerio.

Having had a chat with Iain (easerthegeezer) i have raised the light unit more to 12" above the water surface. It makes sense to reduce lighting intensity further as it will only make things more manageable and is less likely to impact negatively on the plants. When things have stabilised and the plants have began growing I can always lower the light and increase co2 if I want to speed things up a bit.
The marsilea hirsuta is suffering a little bit now, most likely the hardiest plant which has finally shown the effects of too much light/too little co2.
Currently i have a nice lime green dc for lights on which is maintained through the 5 hr photoperiod.
Shrimp and fish have settled well, and the diatoms have been mostly dealt with[THUMBS UP SIGN]
The new plants have been planted and all the old dead plants removed completely. The Christmas moss on the rocks has began to sprout new growth so that's a positive.
Knocking water changes down to every third day now.
Still haven't got hold of Hagen about the filter, quite poor customer service thus far but may improve when I actually speak to someone.

FTS to show height of light unit and newly planted plants:

6a2a6anu.jpg

and a cheeky shrimp shot:

zyberura.jpg

Cheerio
Ady

Hi mate, sorry to hear you have had a few problems.. Looks like your are doing all the right things though to combat it!

I'm sure it will pass and you will conquer it, 'May the Force be with You' :thumbup:

PS, I'll PM you a direct number and contact I have for Hagen, I'm on first name terms with them now :lol:

Gary Nelson said:
Hi mate, sorry to hear you have had a few problems.. Looks like your are doing all the right things though to combat it!

I'm sure it will pass and you will conquer it, 'May the Force be with You' :thumbup:

PS, I'll PM you a direct number and contact I have for Hagen, I'm on first name terms with them now :lol:

Ha, cheers Gary, feeling like im doing the right things so hopefully will get better.
Got the pm and thats the contact i have, havnt actually spoken to anyone yet as it asks me to leave a name and number and theyll call back.....not like its too important really, only the lifeline for my tank :lol:
Cheerio,
Ady.

looking really good mate, good to hear you've raised the light a little. You'll be on a winner from now on i bet ya.

Alastair said:
Looking really nice ady really nice. Hope you get the filter sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timms2011 said:
Another stunning Aquarium in the making Ady :clap:

ianho said:
looking really good mate, good to hear you've raised the light a little. You'll be on a winner from now on i bet ya.

Thanks,
think its getting better slowly, ive raised the light as much as my brackets will allow (13"), but i wish id made it so i could raise even higher, i may have to buy the longer wall mounts so i can get it even higher. Having said that time will tell and ill give it a chance to recover. I just dont seem to be able to hit the sweet spot and am constantly questioning what i doing wrong :crazy:
Experience will ensure next time i do everything to maximise success. I think getting everything in place from the start gives you the best chance as you hit the ground running instead of playing catch up and chasing your mistakes......always use lower lighting and max c02...it should be a rule of planted tanks!

Just bought 15 ember tetras tonight, just settling in now. Next is the choice between a shoal of 20/30 Microdevario Kubotai or Platinum tetras as the main feature.....airing towards the micro rasboras as they stay a similar size to the embers and will contrast nicely but subtly with the green hue they have :thumbup: ...but i do like the striking presence of the Platinums, mmmm.....

Kubotai all the way. Im hoping to get some green neons to go with my rummies. Hows the filter going mate, you got that sorted?

Antipofish said:
Kubotai all the way. Im hoping to get some green neons to go with my rummies. Hows the filter going mate, you got that sorted?

Well, my lfs finally got hold of Hagen, but in fairness they said to swap the whole thing for a new one on the proviso that they test it instore to ensure there is a fault. Bit of a pain but should be ok.
Yeah was thinking kubotai, a store local to me had a new shipment last weekend. Thought rather than buy on impulse id wait a week to ensure no ailments etc as treating in a tank with shrimp is tricky. Hopefully all will be well with them this weekend and i can get them :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Please don't say your tearing this back down again already? Ref. your questions on plant free scape problems?

Hope not mate! Great layout going on here! I find TDS goes crazy throughout the week with Seiryu / Ryuoh though? I've had to up my changes, and I'm sure changes are causing shock for my Taiwan fire reds. :(

Back