• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal Finished.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal... PMA!

I think ryuoh and mini landscape rock leaches? Is this right? I was planning my nano triptych and had to decide on okho rock ur to it being inert. I love the look of ryuoh rock. Maybe I'll need to plan another tank using it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

these rock increase the Gh in the water, and will add to TDS.

So Ady, how's it going... Is it true what I've read you may have other plans for this tank? Also did you have any joy with your filter mate?

Whitey89 said:
Please don't say your tearing this back down again already? Ref. your questions on plant free scape problems?

Hope not mate! Great layout going on here! I find TDS goes crazy throughout the week with Seiryu / Ryuoh though? I've had to up my changes, and I'm sure changes are causing shock for my Taiwan fire reds. :(

jackrythm said:
I think ryuoh and mini landscape rock leaches? Is this right? I was planning my nano triptych and had to decide on okho rock ur to it being inert. I love the look of ryuoh rock. Maybe I'll need to plan another tank using it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ianho said:
these rock increase the Gh in the water, and will add to TDS.

Yeah it does definitely, although ferts effect tds and conductivity readings too, so unless you dont dose its difficult to tell by exactly how much. In 4 days between water changes tds rises by about 60ppm.

Gary Nelson said:
So Ady, how's it going... Is it true what I've read you may have other plans for this tank? Also did you have any joy with your filter mate?

Hi Gary,
yeah, maybe changing this already, frustration and probably not being bowled over by the layout is making me constantly want to change it. Had the manzy wood out tonight in the hope of creating something simple hardscape wise, but ended up with loads of dragon stone too....would look good planted but at the moment im fancying a trip away from my c02 battles, what little hair i have left is getting thinner by the day :lol:
I may try raising the lighting further to help things out more as when i added some microrasbora kubotia they struggled with the c02 so i had to reduce it down = need to reduce lighting too. Currently cant as im at the top of my brackets so will need to get some longer ones :rolleyes: ....it just seems to be a constant battle at the min.
Filter issue seems to have resolved itself, ran it without chemical cartridge to keep flow good, and when the lads from my lfs came to test it we put the chemical cartridge back in and flow still good enough. I think its not quite right but they cant justify giving me a new one when flow is good. It may have been something to do with the purigen in the chemical cartridge becoming clogged and reducing flow, and maybe a little to do with the inline hydor heater im now running...who knows....if it gets worse ill be persuing a new one though.
Cheers,
Ady.

Along the lines of something like this:

ytynupu6.jpg

Pretty rough idea, and would need tweaking, maybe remove a few branches but I prefer wood!

Hi mate, sorry to hear your still a little frustrated with your scape, mind you having seen your other post with just the wood and Discus in looks the business! That really appeals to me.
I'm sure if you don't take this one apart now you certainly will when you have been to aquatics live, that's what set me off on my re-scape (well new tank!) last year.
What you have created is a lovely scape, but if its giving you a headache mate its not worth it, besides if you do end up stripping it back its another one you can add to your portfolio :thumbup:

On your filter issue, I also found that my purigen would get a bit 'cloggy' I ran the 2 individual bags as found it easier, rather than buying it loose and filling my own bag up - I clean my mechanical filter weekly and rinsed the 2 purigen bags under the taps every 3 weeks, although I've just started using loose carbon again and have to say the water looks clearer!?

Anyway mate, I'll see you at aquatics live and buy you a beer! and we can talk more on G6's, purigen, Schanuzers and aquatic headaches :lol:

Gary Nelson said:
Hi mate, sorry to hear your still a little frustrated with your scape, mind you having seen your other post with just the wood and Discus in looks the business! That really appeals to me.
I'm sure if you don't take this one apart now you certainly will when you have been to aquatics live, that's what set me off on my re-scape (well new tank!) last year.
What you have created is a lovely scape, but if its giving you a headache mate its not worth it, besides if you do end up stripping it back its another one you can add to your portfolio :thumbup:

On your filter issue, I also found that my purigen would get a bit 'cloggy' I ran the 2 individual bags as found it easier, rather than buying it loose and filling my own bag up - I clean my mechanical filter weekly and rinsed the 2 purigen bags under the taps every 3 weeks, although I've just started using loose carbon again and have to say the water looks clearer!?

Anyway mate, I'll see you at aquatics live and buy you a beer! and we can talk more on G6's, purigen, Schanuzers and aquatic headaches :lol:

Sounds good mate :thumbup:
Funny you say about the carbon, i was going to give it a whirl again.
Think in all honesty on reflection the discus may be a little adventurous in this tank (and far too expensive for 6!), but angels may be within reach....if the hardscape allows. Think maybe its just the current scape im not fond of as im now thinking of planting up the next one with most of the plants i have, although i do like the simplicity of hardscape only....mmm... Too many ideas but all indicate ill be moving on from this one sooner rather than later.
Cheerio, and looking forward to aquatics live, see you there :thumbup:

Ady34 said:
Along the lines of something like this:

ytynupu6.jpg

Pretty rough idea, and would need tweaking, maybe remove a few branches but I prefer wood!
Awesome, that definitely looks like a winner to me, cant wait! :D

Re: Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal... ?

Timms2011 said:

Me neither,
ive screwed a few main pieces of manzanita together tonight with stainless steel screws to form the 2 main wood 'structures'.....its all now in a vat of water with rocks as weights to pre saturate to prevent floaters. When its sunk ill be stripping the tank down and rescaping....decision made.
Just need to decide on whether to keep it as a hardscape only layout or plant it up with the existing plants and try harder :?:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Good luck with the new scape, that manzi looks ace.
I'm certainly interested to see how this gets on, I know this site is about plants but a hardscape only tank does have certain appeal.....

tim said:
That's some lovely manzinita there ady crying out to be planted good luck with the new scape :thumbup:

OllieNZ said:
Good luck with the new scape, that manzi looks ace.
I'm certainly interested to see how this gets on, I know this site is about plants but a hardscape only tank does have certain appeal.....

Thanks Tim and Ollie,
Still havnt decided whether to plant or not, but it does seem a waste not to use the plants I have. If I don't plant the biggest decision I have to make is should I use a light sand or a black colour sand?

Mark Evans said:
Nice wood Ady. Looking forward to meeting you @ Aquatics Live. :thumbup:

Likewise mate :thumbup:

Ady34 said:
Timms2011 said:

Me neither,
ive screwed a few main pieces of manzanita together tonight with stainless steel screws to form the 2 main wood 'structures'.....its all now in a vat of water with rocks as weights to pre saturate to prevent floaters. When its sunk ill be stripping the tank down and rescaping....decision made.
Just need to decide on whether to keep it as a hardscape only layout or plant it up with the existing plants and try harder :?:
Cheerio,
Ady.

TBH Ady, I can see this looking awesome either way, planted or non-planted. I think you've put together a striking hardscape. I can picture this with some hardy plants such as ferns and Anubias, maybe some nice moss to cover some of the wood. I'll be taking my aquarium down shortly as i'm moving house, I'll be definitely looking at the wood arrangement you've done for inspiration thats for sure!

Timms2011 said:
Ady34 said:
Timms2011 said:

Me neither,
Cheerio,
Ady.

TBH Ady, I can see this looking awesome either way, planted or non-planted. I think you've put together a striking hardscaoe. I can picture this with some hardy plants such as ferns and Anubias, maybe some nice moss to cover some of the wood. I'll be taking my aquarium down shortly as i'm moving house, I'll be definitely looking the wood arrangement you've done for inspiration thats for sure!
Thank you Tim,
ferns and moss foreground with a hairgrass backdrop crossed my mind....but in all honesty i just cant make my mind up what to do.
Good luck with the house move and ill look forward to your next scape as judging by your last one you can certainly put them together and do the whole plant growing bit too :thumbup:

Cheerio,
Ady.

Stripping this down tonight ready for a rescape.
I know it was brief and i think things are just now taking a turn for the better, if i raised the light unit a fraction more i think i could get the best from this set up....that and a few more ottos to clean up the remaining diatoms :rolleyes: A few trims of the plants would help them too now they are improving in health but i want something different as ive lost the drive for this scape.

Thought id pop a couple of pics up of how it looks now, i may take one without equipment in, ill see how the night goes....ive still got to get the kids to bed and my tea sorted yet :lol:

feb20122666.jpg

feb20122667.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and help along the way :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Mate your scape is damn class! I love your tunnel.. true inspiration buddy. I wanna try that shizzle

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jackrythm said:
Mate your scape is damn class! I love your tunnel.. true inspiration buddy. I wanna try that shizzle

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Do it! Do it! :lol:

Back