• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal Finished.

Ady34

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hello again,
after learning many lessons (some of them harsh) from the 1 year 'Dragons Crypt' journal, ive started a new scape and thought id share it with you all again. Although my first planted venture has been a great learning experience i still feel there is much to learn, so will be hoping for more advice along the way whilst also trying to put into practice the knowledge i have gained.
This new scape will be using the same tank, lighting, filter and pressurised C02 set up, but will have a few alterations. The layout will be more open, so in an attempt to reduce in tank equipment ill be using an inline Hydor 300w heater, C02 will be through the same Boyu inline diffuser but this time on the filter inlet and returned via a glass lily pipe. I'm hoping that this single point return will offer a better and more even flow pattern than the previous split return nozzles and negate the need for the extra in tank Hydor nano circulation pump (although time will tell with this). I feel distribution was one of the biggest obstacles to success in the Dragons Crypt journal. Although a spraybar configuration is seen by many as the most effective way of distributing co2 and fertilisers to the plants, in this scape due to the hard scape layout I feel that this wont offer the best overall circulation and therefore a single point return is the next best option in creating an even flow pattern.

Specs:
Tank: 90cm x 45cm x 45cm, Fluval Studio 900
Filter: Fluval G6
Heater: Hydor 300w inline (filter outlet)
Lighting: 2x T5 HO 39w
CO2: 2kg pressurised TGM kit, Boyu inline diffuser (filter inlet)
Substrate: Used ada powersand s medium mixed with used ada aquasoil amazonia topped off with a new 9l bag of Amazonia powder. Unipac Zambezi sand mixed with ADA Nile sand.
Hardscape: TGM/ADA Seiryu stone.
Fertiliser: EI method

As the name suggests, inspiration for this scape came from the coast, and in particular the very distinct archways, stacks, stumps and Tombolo's formed by sea erosion (inspiration was also drawn from several excellent UKAPS journals, namely Mark Evans 'By the Seaside' and Andy h's 'Green Beach').
Although not process specific, I've tried to use these formations in a way aesthetically suited to an aquascape. The scape will use rock exclusively as the hardscape and although not technically Iwagumi layout correct, its about the closest way to categorise it.

The process of erosion:

02_costal_erosion.gif

Here are some examples of these formations:

One of the most famous, and the one i remebered from GCSE Geography! Durdle Door in Dorset:

coast_arch.jpg

...and also erosion at Flamborough Head in Yorkshire not too far from me:

CoastalErosion_fb24712a.jpg

...and a few other examples:

RCha-CoastalErosionCliffErosion815-371.jpg

780721_99da7924.jpg

CE-15.jpg

E2850107-Coastal_erosion-SPL.jpg

lev2_coast_erosion_grab.jpg

Anyway, thats the inspiration, ill upload progress later.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Attachments

• 780721_99da7924.jpg
    780721_99da7924.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 436
  • lev2_coast_erosion_grab.jpg
    lev2_coast_erosion_grab.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 238
  • CE-15.jpg
    CE-15.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,306
  • E2850107-Coastal_erosion-SPL.jpg
    E2850107-Coastal_erosion-SPL.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 211
Re: Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal.

Sounds interesting, can't wait to see more details and pics!

yeess. do it. will there be greenery atop the stumps and arch?

Cheers guys, will hopefully update progression at work tomorrow, the computer there has all of a sudden decided to allow me access to ukaps again so I can take advantage of uploading images from the camera and using the Internet there. For now here's a couple of shots taken on the phone at TGM the other week where I got to try out some rock arranging.
I have to say it was really nice seeing all there scapes growing in more and seeing some of the more recent ones too. I really only went down for some more dragon stone, substrate and a nosey, but when I saw the few pieces of xl seiryu stone they had in store I couldn't resist as they worked so well together. In hindsight they are probably a bit oversized really, and more smaller pieces may have better created more perspective and scale, but overall they have created the effect I was looking for. The planting will most likely enhance the look if I can do it correctly

The sand pit at TGM, a great accessory for checking out potential hardscape material:

danezupa.jpg

a2ebagap.jpg

Cheerio
Ady

really good start Ady, your journals are always very good, respected by new and old scapers. Keep up the good work mate.

ianho said:
really good start Ady, your journals are always very good, respected by new and old scapers. Keep up the good work mate.
:oops: much appreciated Ian, will do my best :thumbup:

Just added myself to the list of subscribers Ady. Can't wait to see this one, as Geography was one of my A levels that I managed to pass, LOL. I love how you are bringing this sort of thing into your scape. It has great promise.

Are you sure about the dimensions of your tank ? I always thought it was taller than 45 ? You have put 90x45x45 ?

Best of luck with this one mate :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
Just added myself to the list of subscribers Ady. Can't wait to see this one, as Geography was one of my A levels that I managed to pass, LOL. I love how you are bringing this sort of thing into your scape. It has great promise.

Are you sure about the dimensions of your tank ? I always thought it was taller than 45 ? You have put 90x45x45 ?

Best of luck with this one mate :thumbup:
Cheers Chris, ill have to check the dimensions, I think it's taller with the addition of the brushed aluminium trims but water column is 45cm.
Geography was one of my stronger subjects too :geek:
Cheerio
Ady

For some reason I always thought those tanks were taller, apols. That means your tank is exactly the same size as my new one so I will be even MORE interested to see this now :)

Antipofish said:
For some reason I always thought those tanks were taller, apols. That means your tank is exactly the same size as my new one so I will be even MORE interested to see this now :)
Yep, just double checked and the tank measures 55 total height with the water column being 45cm :)
Will you be journaling your optiwhite?

Ady34 said:
Antipofish said:
Yep, just double checked and the tank measures 55 total height with the water column being 45cm :)
Will you be journaling your optiwhite?

Just looked online and they seem to do a standard and TALL version. Thats where my confusion arose. And yes, I will indeed. :) Gonna do a pic of it as it is now, and then will sell a LOT of the plants to make way for new ones in the new scape. But there are a few plants that I will definitely be keeping too. Esp the Ammania sp. Bonsai, which is quite probably my favourite plant at the moment.

Sound like a very interesting scape with a lot of potential.
What are you thinking of using for creating the arches and stumps. As there are a few scaping rocks that come in the shapes and formations you are talking about. Although dunno if they would be in the colors you are looking for, I have seen a Few scapes using Rainbow stone and they look very good.

Gill said:
Sound like a very interesting scape with a lot of potential.
What are you thinking of using for creating the arches and stumps. As there are a few scaping rocks that come in the shapes and formations you are talking about. Although dunno if they would be in the colors you are looking for, I have seen a Few scapes using Rainbow stone and they look very good.

Hi Gill,
arches and stumps made from Seiryu stone (mini landscape rock xl size), found a few good pieces at TGM which hint at the effect. The Striata of these rocks looks similar to the rock faces on some coastlines.

sarahtermite said:
I already love this scape! Subscribed!

Cheers Sarah :thumbup:

Well, heres how things were put together, i missed some of the creative process, but its easy to get carried away!

Empty tank ready for the new hardscape. Note how the left most drilled base pipe has been capped as the return will be via a single point return lily pipe this time around:

milwaukee003.jpg

I did a practice run on the old Aquasoil to get the rock spacing and alignment right first which would enable me to mark the sand bed area:

First 'main' rock, this is the biggest and most attractive rock weighing over 40kg on its own! Technically this should be the 'Oyaishi', but as its not the tallest it doesnt follow the typical iwagumi layout rule, and is more likely the 'Fukuishi' or secondary stone (2nd largest, of similar texture to the Oyaishi). This was laid first to allow me to see exactly where the Oyaishi and Soeshi would sit:

milwaukee004.jpg

Second stone in but most likely the 'Soeshi' (tertiary stone to bolster the strength of the Oyaishi) of this scape:

milwaukee007.jpg

...1, 2 miss a few heres the layout, from which i could mark the sand bed and seat the stones correctly. By no means a typical iwagumi but hey :shh: :

milwaukee010.jpg

Then it was a case of removing the rock again and seperating areas of soil and sand, seating the stones on the old unipac Zambezi sand left over from the previous scape, and adding a base layer of the old mixed Amazonia Aquasoil and Powersand.

In areas of contrasing substrate and levels i used garden weed mat cut to size to prevent slippage of soil onto the sand beds:

milwaukee017.jpg

milwaukee018.jpg

Then the soil was capped with a new 9l bag of new Amazonia Powder type, and the sand bed topped with ADA Nile sand. Additional detailing rocks and a 'Suteishi', or sacrificial stone added to the left rear to shore up the soil bank, which will most likely be lost within plant mass:

milwaukee030.jpg

a few different angles:

milwaukee032.jpg

milwaukee034.jpg

milwaukee040.jpg

milwaukee042.jpg

milwaukee048.jpg

and thats as far as i am, now trying to think of the best course of action regards plantlists and wether to plant then cycle or cycle then plant :? :crazy:

Cheerio for now,
Ady.

does your new bag of substrate give rise to ammonia?

Back