• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt' Journal finished.

Re: Fluval Studio 900.... oh no ive deleted all my photos.

Even is someone had an offline version of this thread you would still need to re upload them all. It's possible you may have to edit all links in all posts too that contain images. I'm not sure if imageshack renames the images for you which causes such problems.

If they had of been stored on a personal server then you could of just reloaded the photo directory presuming you have a backup.. :thumbup:

thanks Spyder,
no im a computer idiot and no backup!! :sick:
looks like trawling through my images reloading them to imageshack and reposting them!! :twisted:
a lesson learned. ill do it over a period of time.

Hello again,
thought id post an update pre christmas.
Things have been going a little slowly without much change. Ludwigia arcuata and hygrophila siamensis corymbosa have not had the fast growth i was expecting and the ludwigia in particular seems to be less than 'thriving'. A possible reason for this being insufficient light..... i have just noticed today that i have one tube out thus the tank has been running on one t5 for i dont know how long!!!!!
Also ive a few holes in some of the crypt leaves, any ideas on what deficiency this is would be welcomed. (TPN+ 9ml per day 180l tank vol)

iphone418.jpg

Otherwise mosses, monosolenium tenerum and microsorum pteropus 'petite' seem to be doing well

iphone422.jpg

Along with the bolbitis

iphone463.jpg

and hairgrass

iphone158.jpg

Anyway ill leave you with a fts just to remind you of how its all looking after deleting all my other photos. The staurogyne repens left foreground is also looking a little worse for wear..... rummynoses i think have moved on from the pogostemon halferi i removed and are now dining on this!! nibbled edges to all the leaves, little buggers!

iphone453.jpg

Hope you all have a very merry christmas and all the best for 2012.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. Pre christmas update.

merry xmas and wow lovely looking tank, plants all look really healthy

I love this tank Ady. Very mature looking indeed.

Try upping your water column dosing for the crypts. How old is the AS? I'd of thought the crypts would be satisfied from root feeding. Maybe try buying some root tabs :thumbup:

creg said:
merry xmas and wow lovely looking tank, plants all look really healthy

Thanks Creg.

Mark Evans said:
I love this tank Ady. Very mature looking indeed.

Try upping your water column dosing for the crypts. How old is the AS? I'd of thought the crypts would be satisfied from root feeding. Maybe try buying some root tabs :thumbup:

Much appreciated Mark,
The AS is only 4 months old and i also thought they would have sufficient nutrients from root feeding for at least 7-8 months. They are mostly a success and filling out continuously but do have holes in some of the leaves and pits on the back of some leaves which definitely looks like a deficiency of some sort. I dont really want to increase water column dosing as its already getting a little expensive!!!! One day ill maybe bite the bullet, face my laziness and try the EI way. Root tabs may be the easiest way to feed their hunger, ill look into the different types... unless you know of a particularly good tried and tested one?
The crypts do still suffer from minor melting which suggests an imbalance somewhere, but everything going in is constant.... the only thing i can attribute it too is the daily fluctuating of ph due to c02 (ph 7 before c02 and about ph 6 after).. anyone else have this problem?

On a happier note plants have been pearling like crazy the past couple of days and the stems at the rear already seem to be growing healthier due to the replacement of the light. Whilst swapping it anyway i went for another life glo with a 6700 kelvin rating which should be better for plants than the power glo bulb at 18000k. The tips of the ludwigia have already thickened and turned to a more orangy colour suggesting a previous light deficiency. Note to self, check lights frequently. :oops:

Thanks again chaps,
Cheerio for now.

PS broken camera over christmas :arghh: im looking at max £200.... any suggestions? Its a family camera really, im no photographer and need something relitively simple but offering decent enough quality for the tank shots. :crazy: Ive been looking at the panasonic TZ18, TZ20 (for HD video capabilities) and equivalent canon which i cant remember the model.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. C02 ran out....Problems!.

Well, problems problems problems. :(
CO2 has ran out, and i think because it was getting low had been fluctuating resulting in the melting of many crypt leaves. This i think in turn has led to the return of staghorn algae (only minor at the moment) which im hoping to control with water changes and flourish excel. Im also hoping the flourish excel will substitute c02. The tank has also gone a little 'milky' again for some reason, perhaps a bacterial bloom due to changing tank balance?
Ill post in other sections too but if anyone is reading and has some answers to the following qs it would be much appreciated.
will liquid carbon offer the plants i have a suitable substitite to pressurised c02 and is the recommended dosage enough or should it be increased?
With the plants i have do you think pressurised c02 is necessary at all?
does anyone know of anywhere in the north east to get c02 refilled?
does the c02 need to be 'food grade' as ive read of decomissioned fire extinguishers being used and even refills provided, and im thinking of contacting our work fire extinguisher provider and servicer to see if they can refill?
Thanks
Ady.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. C02....sorted!

Well, ive sourced a c02 supply 5 mins from my doorstep... result, so back on the c02 again. The tank has shown little sign of distress without the pressurised c02, perhaps only the hairgrass showing signs of fading greenery and a noticeable slowing of growth. The crypts have definitely benefitted from a more stable period with excel dosing, and melting is much reduced. I may well try reducing the c02 input to keep water chemistry more consistent hoping this will suit the crypts better..... only time will tell how this effects the tank overall.
Also i have noticed a considerable increase in my shrimps activity since the c02 ran out, they have been crawling out of the woodwork and scavanging all over!

I have also carried out a full filter clean, the first time ive touched the bio media in 6 months. The bio media section was amazingly clean, especially considering the 6 month running period and is testament to the design of the filter and the quality of the pre filter.

this is how it looked on opening, a discolouration of the 'g nodes' and slight 'mulm' film on the inner lid and baskets, but very little sediment intrusion.

mum60th197.jpg

and this is how its all looking now, the balansae has definitely filled out...

mum60th185.jpg

mum60th128.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. C02... sorted!

That looks lovely Ady and it looks like you have cracked it! :thumbup: It looks very healthy too, Ive decided to set my G6 up this afternoon as I cant wait till tomorrow - hope I get the same results as you.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. C02... sorted!

Gary Nelson said:
That looks lovely Ady and it looks like you have cracked it! :thumbup: It looks very healthy too,

Thanks very much Gary, still not entirely happy.... got a few adjustments to try yet but its definitely getting somewhere near my initial vision, albeit with a couple of slight alterations along the way.

Gary Nelson said:
Ive decided to set my G6 up this afternoon as I cant wait till tomorrow

Youll have great fun setting it up mate, playing with all the settings and getting childishly excited by the blue backlighting!! :lol: :geek:
Cheerio
Ady.

Re: Fluval Studio 900... first video link.

Ive uploaded a short video of the tank taken on my camera.
Its not the greatest video but its my first attempt at uploading so is more of a test. The image quality is unlikely to change, im no editor or videographer however i may get some better footage of the tank as a whole without the tv background noise and me zooming in and out irratically! I think i may need a tripod for starters!
itll give an insight into the workings and i always enjoy watching other peoples videos myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJ71Oow ... e=youtu.be

Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Fluval Studio 900... first video added!

ianho said:
don't embed from the 'your channel', you have to click onto the main vid to get the embedded code from the address bar and just post it. It normally ends in 'be'.

Thanks Ian, i tried what youve suggested and edited my original post as a test, so the video now appears 'embedded' as you suggested, this is much better.... is it simply so the video appears in the journal without an external link or is there another reason for doing it this way?
Ady.

Themuleous said:
Lovely tank, just lovely :)

Sam

Thanks Sam, much appreciated.

Another slightly longer FTS video taken before the disastrous crypt melt thats affected every type of crypt i have! :(

Re: Fluval Studio 900... FTS video.

Well a couple of weeks ago i suffered a serious crypt melt which affected every crypt species i have :( .

mum60th222.jpg

mum60th250.jpg

mum60th256.jpg

It got worse from here, some completely melting away, and approx. 10 balansae stems needed to be removed, not good considering they took so long to settle.
I was a little disheartened to say the least, and rescape entered my mind! However prior to the melt the tank was looking at its best so i decided to knuckle down, do a bit of ukaps research and find out what was the cause .
Since setting the tank up ive had repeated crypt melt, normally only minor though and its always bugged me. Knowing crypts to be slightly sensitive to changing water perameters i blamed ph swings due to c02. Then from posting in the plants section of ukaps after this major melt, found a possible alternative :idea: . Mg and Ca defficiency, probably due to my soft water area. I had also prior to the crypt melt stopped using buffers as was tired of chasing water perameters. The G6 showed a changing water condition as my conductivity reading dropped considerably over the course of 2 weeks worth of water changes. This should have set alarm bells ringing in my head :rolleyes: . Anyway, to cut a long story short, im now dosing sera mineral salts weekly to up Mg, Ca and K levels and the crypts are recovering well.
I have also noticed holes in some of the crypt leaves which i put down to a potassium deficiency, this also seems rectified by the addition of the mineral salts which contain K and easy life potassium fertiliser, as new leaves are hole free. However, i now have some deformation effecting new leaf growth on the crypts, and curling of the leaves on the hygrophila pinnatifida. After my c02 ran out, finding a refill in my area and the crypt melt issue, i had left c02 introduction at a low level, a dark green DC. I now am trying to get the c02 spot on as i feel this is the first step in correcting the issues im having.
Im also considering a move away from TPN+ as a fertiliser and onto EI for both its 'providing in excess' nutrient benefits and also financial ones! Ill wait and see how the tank fares when ive got the c02 spot on first though, as i may have been adding and excess of TPN+, and may be able to reduce the current dosage whilst maintaining good results.
Anyway, things are now back on track, and after a recent trip to TGM, i have a couple of new species to try. Ive added some anubias petite to the most central branch as itll be a nice contrast to the moss and microsorum that are already spreading nicely along the adjacent branches. Also i have some hygrophila polysperma rosenvig, which admittedly is too bright for this tank and sticks out like a sore thumb! Perhaps a more suitable location would make it fit in more. I also purchased some hydrocotle sp. Japan, which is lovely but i fear will become rummy nose food, or not receive enough light at the substrate to thrive..... we can only try to see what works.
Anyway the water is clearer than it has ever been with the addition of purigen, the harlequins have been breeding, and im now in a much better frame of mind, satisfied to have addressed some of the issues im having. :D
A couple of pics of how its now looking.

feb20122064.jpg

feb20122068.jpg

feb20122076.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Fluval Studio 900... Crypt melt and remedy!

Crypt melts in my tank when I get low on CO2.. For example bottle is running out and I detect it too late. Once they get accustomed to CO2 and higher light they are like junkies.

PH swing is not issue but CO2.

Yes, that's correct. Crypts could care less about changing water parameters. They don't like it when CO2 is changing in the negative direction though. Holes in plants, assuming not due to predation, is always a CO2 issue.

Cheers,

Hi Ady, what are the crypts with the red underleaf please?

Back