• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
That's looking super healthy!

You'll have a full HC carpet in 6 months.
....years....:p
on the plus side it seems my hairgrass and pretend glosso are on the move, along with the stringy algae too :)

:( just noticed i must have cracked the Gush out pipe when cleaning :rage:....it never rains.....

Sorry to hear ady that's only problem with the Lilly pipes and there not cheap, how do u clean the Lilly pipes mate ?

Will be with crack until u get new one anyway or use the ones with filter , keep ur head up mate

Dean

Sorry to hear ady that's only problem with the Lilly pipes and there not cheap, how do u clean the Lilly pipes mate ?

Will be with crack until u get new one anyway or use the ones with filter , keep ur head up mate

Dean
Hi Dean,
i use a jbl cleany (pipe cleaner)....in all honesty im not that impressed after the second use. The metal tie on the end catches the glassware in the bends which is a little disconcerting :wideyed: it could really do with a rubber finisher or something. Think ideally you'd have a couple of sets of glassware so you could remove and soak in a water/bleach solution overnight then rinse in dechlorinated water to clean.....but to do that we'd need to be millionaires :greedy: :D
Ordered up another from APFUK so will be added soon, until then the old one is still intact so works ok, just wouldnt trust it to take a knock or another clean. I have a spare, but its a cheaper one and is a shrimp/fish killer so wont use it unless i really have to....then id have to add an unsightly shrimp guard too to protect my livestock.
At least i havnt had to buy a new solenoid aswell.......yet!! :nailbiting:

Cheerio,
Ady.

:greedy: millionares lol ur right its very expensive hobby and i am only starting and only have a nano, i havnt cleaned mine yet but think i read about soaking in bleach solution, thing is do you have to remove piping every time aswel because that means could damage doing that lol and like you say you need it running to dose the co2 and in my case keep temp up so couldnt leave off for long and sorry mate i know how much regulators are :banghead:

cheers Dean

:greedy: millionares lol ur right its very expensive hobby and i am only starting and only have a nano, i havnt cleaned mine yet but think i read about soaking in bleach solution, thing is do you have to remove piping every time aswel because that means could damage doing that lol and like you say you need it running to dose the co2 and in my case keep temp up so couldnt leave off for long and sorry mate i know how much regulators are :banghead:

cheers Dean
yeah, remove completely to clean. In all honesty it could have been either removing it, cleaning it or replacing it that caused the crack, just a tap in the wrong place against the tank could easily do it....i only noticed later on when i was looking closely at the tank, i didnt notice when i refitted it so maybe it was putting it back that my hammer hands did the damage :eek: could be worse it could have gone in my hand.
never mind, new one on the way....must be more careful!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Small update.

Ticking along but still unhappy with the left rear and centre of the tank. I have bought some additional plants, an aponogeton crispus red from Ben (member B7fec), which is a beauty, but is too dominant in this scape so needs replacing. Ive also purchased some nymphoides taiwan for the centre area which is shaded by wood and moss and has always been a trouble area. Ive since repositioned my lily return which has improved flow here, and the nymphoides, with its adaptability, should suit it well here and add a more vibrant green to the rear to tie in more with that of the lobelia cardinalis which dominates the foreground. I also have another larger echinodorus to add to the left rear as i really like the one at the right of the tank. One thing ive always struggled with is the planting space available at the left rear (crazy hardscape only idea haunting me :banghead:) . To try to allow me to add the plants i want im going to remove a large piece of dragon stone, which is now invisable anyway, and add in some more used ADA aquasoil to the centre and left rear to raise the substrate level and give me some more options. Ive ordered some more vallis nana and am on the hunt for some anubias and another brown crypt to finish things off. Im going to try and mimic slightly the look achieved on the right of the tank to the left as i really like that side. It will have a strong order of planting, but with the chosen species should still look relitively random/natural, especially when the tenellus fills in the gaps again after the groundworks! The foreground as has been said before has a definite purpose to it which is slightly ordered so i suppose doing the same in the rear will help tie the two together. More vallis nana will add the necessary height but still remain open towards the surface which helps balance the scape and remain inkeeping with the grassy theme from the e. tenellus which is slowly taking over :eek: I dont want a full rear curtain as the tank looks a little too tall compared to its length, so im trying to deceive the eye a bit by drawing the eye upwards from the ends to the centre....i know what i mean :confused:

Not ideal to be still carrying out major reworks this far in, but im determined to finish this scape off to be one which im happy with......unsure with the slow pace of this tank whether it will be ready for a final shot for IAPLC, but will see.
Ive also decided that the current distribution method isnt up to scratch, so for the next one im going to have to give some more thought to this, perhaps try a full length spraybar to see what impact this has. Maybe i may invest in better quality lily returns and add a second external filter as ive suggested before. I think my current lily isnt the best at creating a good flow pattern, my only issue is that most glassware returns are designed for open top rimless tanks so the reach into the tank isnt great. My tank has a rim which means the water level is the best part of 1 1/2" below the top so i need something to reach down quite far.....im sure there will be some good ones somewhere that fit the bill.

Anyway, one photo to share of my favoured side of the tank...its the end the fish favour too so that must be telling me something :p I recently trimmed the tenellus quite high up the stems to see what happened...there had been some discussion elsewhere on the forum about the best way to trim it so i just hacked off the tips where they were getting too long....not the most natural look, but easier to do :D

p1080831h.jpg

Ill update again after the changes.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Post soil addition update:

Right, i removed this stone, pretty big really:
p1080881p.jpg

from this part of the tank:
p1080873g.jpg

Then i added some old aquasoil to raise the level slightly. It had been rinsed but seems to deteriorate continually with washing resulting in a never ending silt so decided to just add it into the tank thinking i would get a slight cloud which would be filtered out quickly.......mmm.....
p1080878i.jpg

p1080879w.jpg

:eek: :oops: .....needless to say this halted proceedings somewhat, i couldnt see to replant so carried out the water change and left it overnight and half the next day. The dusting of silt was horrific, everything was covered and i needed to waft the plants repeatedly to help get it into suspension for the filter to take the majority out. There was a lot left on the substrate level which i needed to syphon out also. Anyway, later the next day i was left with a much clearer tank and a better planting area on the problem left hand rear:
p1080898s.jpg

Just to put into context the lack of planting area, when reading the Takashi Amano article "A sense of responsibility" in the April issue of PFK, i looked at what he had left behind hardscape for planting in one of his scapes:
p1080629w.jpg

probably 2/3 of the width of the tank compared to mine which only has about 1/3 at the rear!
I know a lot of it has to do with my initial plans for the tank, and it varies on what look you are trying to achieve, but shows the room he leaves for planting and probably helps him get great perception of depth and very bushy plants. Having this much room at the rear most likely helps with circulation too without masses of hardscape obstructing the flow back there.
I was quite surprised anyway at the line of hardscape and the space allowed, so thought i would share :p

Anyway....I had prepped more water for another water change to counteract any water quality issues and help with clearing. So planted up and carried out the water change, ill do another one this week to ensure no issues and hopefully get crystal clear water back :)

I couldnt bare to get rid of the aponogeton red as ive wanted one for a long while now, so have replanted it....it may need to go when the vallis nana fills in but for now i quite like the way it falls across the tank, mirroring the highest piece of wood at the right hand side of the tank....it is also shading my ferns slightly so will help them out a bit too. I can already see that the echinodorus ozelot will have the desired effect when it grows in with its submersed leaves, and the vallis nana will help with the continuity throughout the tank....thanks George :thumbup:
I am still at odds with the centre, but will add another anubias on the rocks and wait for the nymphoides taiwan to fill in before i make any more changes. A few existing crypts were repositioned to more shaded areas here and there and will hopefully help balance things up when they fill in.

I also tidied up the eleocharis sp. mini in the foreground and removed some moss from in amongst it as it was a dirt trap and looking scruffy. The lobelia cardinalis needs another trim to shape it up again...but ill save that for another day ;)

Anyway, this is what i ended up with, still a little cloudy, but overall im pleased with the changes:
p1080922.JPG

Hopefully the new plants will adapt quickly and grow in to look more natural, ready for an IAPLC entry shot.
Cheerio,
Ady.

probably 2/3 of the width of the tank compared to mine which only has about 1/3 at the rear!
I know a lot of it has to do with my initial plans for the tank, and it varies on what look you are trying to achieve, but shows the room he leaves for planting and probably helps him get great perception of depth and very bushy plants. Having this much room at the rear most likely helps with circulation too without masses of hardscape obstructing the flow back there.
I was quite surprised anyway at the line of hardscape and the space allowed, so thought i would share :p

I find myself arguing with myself over this every time I re-scape. Like you said, it depends on the objectives. Right now my 300L has the hardscape about 2/3 of the way in front, leaving more space behind for plants. But I find that the fish end up hiding a lot because there isn't enough space in front to swim with the discus prowling about.

I really love the look of the Lobelia standing out against everything else.

You're a brave man Ady! But it appears to have paid off. This reminds me of very early amano. Well done mate!

You're a brave man Ady! But it appears to have paid off. This reminds me of very early amano. Well done mate!
high praise Ian, and very flattering thank you, im gonna change my surname now so i can be Ady. A....:facepalm:....my bad!
Believe me there was choice words when i dropped the soil bomb, id done some soil moving in the shrimp tank, but it was nothing like this! Seems to have been worth it though, ill hopefully have sorted the left rear so ill be happier with it now :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

looking superb mate really good I ordered some more mini hair grass for centre of my tank and don't think going to cut the stuff at the back any as sick of waiting and just want growth now once the grass is in going to get some shrimp in there but just letting you know mate and the next tank I ever do will defiantly have lovely feature wood like this one and the colours are beautiful mate

Dean

looking superb mate really good I ordered some more mini hair grass for centre of my tank and don't think going to cut the stuff at the back any as sick of waiting and just want growth now once the grass is in going to get some shrimp in there but just letting you know mate and the next tank I ever do will defiantly have lovely feature wood like this one and the colours are beautiful mate

Dean
Very much appreciated Dean. I love wood scapes, good pieces make it easy to use as they can take the hard work out of scaping, but i do crave a clean cut iwagumi!
The eleocharis mini sp. may take a while to start strong growth, just ensure you give it good c02 and keep it clean....the shrimp will help, but if adding new plants id maybe pummel them with c02 and add plenty of ferts for a week first to give them a good start then knock it down a touch and add the shrimp, they will keep it pristine for you :)
and you all know me, love the photos.....was sitting watching tonight....im invisible :p (...wish my light brackets were :rolleyes:, shouldve suspended it from the ceiling :banghead:)

p1080950b.jpg

and thinking tonight, i need a couple more brown crypts, another wendtii tropica and wendtii brown should do it :)

Also is this a sign for me to get the lottery on?....

p1080960n.jpg

and a final one showing the new planted area:

p1080964m.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Recent big substrate changes and replanting etc, alongside (probably more importantly) a reduced efficiency in c02 injection via a dirty diffuser have contributed to a slight filamentous algae reoccurrence:

p1090020b.jpg

During this weeks maintenance ive swapped the dirty diffuser for a pre cleaned one, and increased the bubble rate slightly to get things back on track again. Ive also renewed the carbon in the filter. Ill manually remove the algae with a toothbrush...there isnt a lot, but should be able to get on top of it with the changes made :)

Also feel ive made a mistake in the choice of echinodorus species for the left rear, the ozelot seems to keep its more oval leaf shape even in submerse form, should have researched that more beforehand :banghead: , a longer narrow leaf form like the e. red diamond to the right side would have been more appropriate :rolleyes:

p1090017r.jpg

One other thing about this tank, apart from struggling with the centre planting, is the lack of a strong focal point. Im considering trying alternathera reineckii mini again just off left centre, behind the lobelia, trimmed to slope down towards the centre in the foreground, but it may look slightly at odds with the rest of the plant choices, and only add to the already existing bias towards foreground focus.
Going to trim some christmas moss and add it to the flat top of the rearmost left upright piece of wood too, plus maybe when i trim the lobelia, add a little to the centre behind the anubias to attempt a bit more depth to that area.....its a bit dark and stagnant in there though :p
Cheerio,
Ady.

Looks great mate, really healthy...looking at that last photo, there is one thing I would do as the back looks a tad messy in the upward regions. I would move that aponogeton and place it in the back left. Something tells me it'll look better there.

Looks great mate, really healthy...looking at that last photo, there is one thing I would do as the back looks a tad messy in the upward regions. I would move that aponogeton and place it in the back left. Something tells me it'll look better there.
you may well be right there Ian, i may give it a go next water change. It may not stay at all once the vallis nana grows in.

Back