• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
looking great ady just looked through all ur recent pics and looks beautiful I must say

Dean
Thank you Dean, how's your hair grass doing?

Im still really jealous of your lobelia mate. The whole tank is so lush.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
cheers Alastair, if i ever have any lobelia cuttings spare ill send them to you to have a go.....well ill try to anyway :mad:

cheers Alastair, if i ever have any lobelia cuttings spare ill send them to you to have a go.....well ill try to anyway :mad:

:lol: send them over on the rc truck and attach a live cam to the top. Ill give directions. Forget royal fail

This tank and the photos are fantastic! I imagine you explained it somewhere, but what is the tall brown-leaved plant with the wavy margins?

p1090303w.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

This tank and the photos are fantastic! I imagine you explained it somewhere, but what is the tall brown-leaved plant with the wavy margins?
Many thanks hydrophyte :thumbup: ,
the plant is an Aponogeton crispus 'red'.
Cheers,
Ady.

I really love your tank, the way you get drawn into shaded areas is brilliant. Makes me think I'm looking into an ancient forest pool. Just wish someone would discover a Aponogeton crispus 'Nano'.

I really love your tank, the way you get drawn into shaded areas is brilliant. Makes me think I'm looking into an ancient forest pool. Just wish someone would discover a Aponogeton crispus 'Nano'.
Thanks Mr. Teapot. An aponogeton sp. 'nano' would be cool....but i do like stuff trailing across the surface for some reason, maybe that will change when i master lush stem plant growth and can fill upper regions like that instead :bookworm:

Added 15 CRS from the nano tonight to go with the two existing ones. The tank has ran pretty algae free without shrimp as part of a cuc, likely down to low lighting levels used, but i do like the splash of colour they add and need to thin the numbers in the nano a bit....will add more next week if all is well.

Cheerio,

Well, finally got round to doing a trim of the foreground to tidy it up a little :)
Chose to remove most of the lobelia and replant the best cuttings. It was getting quite tall and after numerous trims had ended up having many side shoots with smaller leaves. Trimmed the hairgrass and tenellus a little to shape and removed a couple of echinodorus ozelot emersed leaves which remained from planting (plus a couple of new leaves which i shouldnt of :banghead:) Thinned the mosses on the branches also:

p1090511m.jpg

Also today noticed that the c02 wasnt working, a quick investigation found that one of my non return valves had failed with a split/crack and was leaking....unusual as they are metal:

p1090530p.jpg

p1090553o.jpg

not too much of a worry as i run two, one between the solenoid and bubble counter and this one between bc and tank, so just hooked the c02 line direct from bc to tank diffuser and still have the other to prevent issue. Will order another to replace.

CRS doing fine.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Beautiful mate. I love the greenness of the tank. That's a first in the non return valve though. I used those and would never have thought they'd split

Yeah, didn't expect it to be the non return valve at all, it wasn't obvious until I'd narrowed it down to the valve and removed it for closer inspection....odd one alright, I've had them since the start of dragons crypt!

I absolutely love this tank! guess I too will have to move from my rock based scapes to something like this for a change..:) plus I was looking out for a tank to see how lobelia might look in the next scape that I have in mind..so thank you for that..now I know it will be a good addition after all..:)

How's yours doing Dan, any updates? :)

Nothing worth spamming your thread for :lol: had to empty the other day as moving this weekend. Looking forward to a new project with the tank. Planted or not, still unsure. Shell dwelling Cichlid biotopes have been tempting me for a while.

I keep coming back to the latest shot of your tank... I really love the mixture of textures and leaf shapes in the middle right. This has matured really nicely.

I absolutely love this tank! guess I too will have to move from my rock based scapes to something like this for a change..:) plus I was looking out for a tank to see how lobelia might look in the next scape that I have in mind..so thank you for that..now I know it will be a good addition after all..:)
Much appreciated zico, its good to try different hardscape materials and good pieces of wood are in my mind easier to position effectively than rocks. The lobelia is a nice plant, it has worked well for me as an alternative to staurogyne repens which I can't seem to grow! It's maybe not as delicate looking as some other foreground plants, but its bright light green is a nice contrast and it certainly stands out :)

Nothing worth spamming your thread for :lol: had to empty the other day as moving this weekend. Looking forward to a new project with the tank. Planted or not, still unsure. Shell dwelling Cichlid biotopes have been tempting me for a while.

I keep coming back to the latest shot of your tank... I really love the mixture of textures and leaf shapes in the middle right. This has matured really nicely.
Ah, dont envy you moving house. Did you get on top of the small issues you were having with the tank in the end?
I like shell dwellers, I used to breed ocellatus gold back in the day when I had a fish house, they were very interesting to watch especially when they had fry scooting in and out of the shell :)

I too like the way the plants have merged, just need to try and keep some sort of order now as this will likely be running a while longer. It's pretty easy to maintain really, growth rates are slow and most of the plants don't need much trimming so ideal for the long haul, it'll be nice to see it filled in properly at the left rear.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Ah, dont envy you moving house. Did you get on top of the small issues you were having with the tank in the end? I like shell dwellers, I used to breed ocellatus gold back in the day when I had a fish house, they were very interesting to watch especially when they had fry scooting in and out of the shell :)

I've always wanted to try african cichlids, and shelldwellers since I saw George's PFK feature a couple of years back
I ended up taking all the plants out, except the Microsorum. Due to co2 issues and not being able to get more, the plants looked awful. I replaced with hydrocotyle japan and cyperus helferi. Looked okay but it was just a temp fix until I emptied the tank for moving. I'd like to do another planted tank but I'll have to decide when in the new place.

I too like the way the plants have merged, just need to try and keep some sort of order now as this will likely be running a while longer. It's pretty easy to maintain really, growth rates are slow and most of the plants don't need much trimming so ideal for the long haul, it'll be nice to see it filled in properly at the left rear.

Sounds like it's good for maintenance as it is to look at. I saw a recent post from Mark saying he'd not done a WC for 4 months... the dream.

man! had you been nearby India..I could have given you kg's of repens..:p I had it growing both in my tanks at home and my immersed setup's at roof top in full sunlight upto two weeks back..:p

man! had you been nearby India..I could have given you kg's of repens..:p I had it growing both in my tanks at home and my immersed setup's at roof top in full sunlight upto two weeks back..:p
I'd have killed it :)
Actually I may try a bit again just to see if I can tempt it into growing in my tank :) unfortunately I'm a bit far away to just pop to India to get some lol ill maybe just order a pot from one of our sponsors :)

Quick update.
Status quo, really easy to maintain this tank as growth is minimal, just water changing, filter cleaning, dosing and tweaking co2......slightly frustrating however as I want the background planting to fill in more. The aponogeton is shading the rear heavily so I took advantage of a recent drop in injection rate from the dirty diffuser to add a clean diffuser, up the co2 slightly which enabled me to 'safely' increase the lighting intensity by lowering the light unit a couple of inches :) The plants had slowly acclimated to a lower co2 level as the diffuser clogged, so the now higher co2 should balance the higher light :).....famous last words!
CRS are doing fine and not being predated, and the aponogeton is flowering again.
I've reduced fert dosing slightly as conductivity rises quite significantly over the course of a week, no ill effects as yet so may try reducing more.

ma9e9u5u.jpg

qyny9ezy.jpg

Cheerio.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back