• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Fluval Studio 900

GeorgeR

Hi,

Appreciate a bit of feed back on the below please (sorry about the furry wood, planning to clean it again tomorrow).

Studio 900.jpg

Hoping to create something along the lines of the below, but without the sand. Not sure if i need the rocks that i have in the tank at the moment as once planted it will fill the spaces. Just looked a bit empty with just the wood:

Idea 1.jpg

Details of the tank:

Fluval Studio 900 (94cm x 46cm x 55cm high) 180L. (i have fitted a black background).

Filter - External Fluval 305.
Heater - Fluval 200W.
Lighting - Chihiros A-Series LED.
Substrate - Caribsea Eco Complete (3 x 9kg).

Thanks in advance,
George

Last edited:
T8r-anwVfAW4xp5zxm77ZpXMKmeE6vHrR3sY8Dtfadg5icNXsD.jpg

George

You are off to a very good start.

Here is another excellent Aquascape. My suggestion would be remove all the rocks as they are not required.
I would also consider more DW on the RH side to fill in the big gap Top back RH area as in your inspiration tank.

Keith :):)

Morning,

Taken your advise Keith. Had another move round and have taken the rock out. Think it looks much better, maybe "less is more"?

Studio Mk2.jpg

George
Yes it is an improvement but could still be a lot better.
"Less is more", I use that phrase a lot on another Forum but very little here ???

George%20_edited-1.jpg

You have the start of a good over all shape but necessarily its position in the tank.
Here are a few suggestions take the large thick piece out at the moment.
Now move every thing 15cm to the left and a whisker back of centre.
Rotate the big piece and place it behind all that DW.
The small piece the (one I ticked place) it in front of the DW (it might have to be located where its suited best)

This is my thinking its off central and back a little giving you a greater low planting area. The big piece will now be a frame for all the DW in front of it.
Over all the Substrate still looks rather flat but it might just work with correct DW placement.
Remember try to keep the over all top curve.

Keith:wave::wave:

Mark 3. Reasonably happy i think. Not overly happy with the thinner piece of wood on the front left, but loathed to buy anymore and just chuck what i have in the bin. The two pieces of bog wood at the front are there to cover up the "stumps" of the other wood. I have some other Bog wood so i can cut a piece to cover the end of the cut off at the back. Also i guess i need to think once it is planted it is going to look totally different and the wood will not be as obvious over time anyway.

Fluval Mk3.jpg

Side.jpg

George

That is a lot better now. If not careful you could finish with both L&R ends looking the same.

DW position to me its too central move it to the left so the nearest twiggy piece is about 10-15cm from the glass.

Substrate depth if you are going to have rooted plants its far too shallow I would prefer 6-10cm.

Substrate flow its very flat at the moment either taper it from the back LH corner to the front RH corner. another option is from the back to the front of the tank.

Morning Keith,

DW position to me its too central move it to the left so the nearest twiggy piece is about 10-15cm from the glass.

I thought the idea was to have it central? Do you mean when looking from the front or side please?

The substrate is 9cm at the back and 3 cm at the front, admittedly this is not apparent with my pour photography, sorry. At this point i am not planning to have a carpet at the front so most of the planting will be at the back and sides where the substrate is 5cm or more.

George

With wood, I don't think less is more. More is better I think. 80% will not be visible once the plants grow in. So I'd definitely add a little more wood than you think is good. I liked the wider setup in the beginning and really like the curve in the wood that was in front in the first picture, so I would move it back forward again. It had more character. But in the end, you're the one watching it daily so make something you like;)

George

I thought the idea was to have it central? Do you mean when looking from the front or side please?
Looking from the front. You will be surprised the difference it makes.

Johan
More is Less, Less is More, If in Doubt leave it Out plus Keep It Simple. Are all very basic design rules. I started learning design rules over 60 Years ago and not much has changed over the years.

Back