• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

flygja's Cascades

flygja

Hey guys :wave: I wanted to post pictures of my tank in the gallery section, but my tank never seems to be complete! So I present to you an extremely backdated account of my tank's progress :lol: I started somewhere in April last year.

I know you guys love specs so here goes:
90cm x 45xm x 60cm
4x 36W PLLs with reflectors 6 hours a day
Fluval 405
Eheim 2215
ADA Amazonia II and ADA Shirui white sand
Full EI dosing with JBL Ferropol for traces and iron
Pressurised CO2 at 2 to 3 bps

The plant list changed throughout its lifetime, this is the latest:
Rotala rotundifolia sp green
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala nanjenshan
Rotala wallichi
Didiplis diandra
Bolbitis heudelotti
Microsorium pterous sp Narrow
Anubias barteri
Anubias barteri sp Nana
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne beckettii

Fauna:
Trigonostigma hengeli
Ottocinclus
Siamese algae eaters
Amano shrimps
Red cherry shrimps
Blue cories
One lonely nerite
One lonely white cloud mountain minnow

Bit of a mad list of living things :lol:

On to the build! First, the Amazonia II and Shirui.
_DSC5684.jpg

In goes the driftwood
_DSC4692.jpg

And the Okho stones plus some pebbles in an attempt at graded gravels.
_DSC4696.jpg

Planted the stems, ferns and crypts. I don't remember what I planted to be honest :lol:
_DSC4700.jpg

After some months. Got rid of the roundish pebbles, didn't suit the scape. Smashed up some Okho and added the bits instead. You guys are the real masters of graded gravel.
_DSC6501_dxo_raw_gimp_600.jpg

After some more months. Shifted rocks around as I was fed up of Aquasoil crumbling onto the white sand.
DSC06999.jpg

I originally planned for Staurogyne sp to be the foreground plant, poking up between the rocks and forming a really nice a lush hedge. It was badly infected with Staghorn algae and while I won that battle, the Staurogyne never looked the same. Skinny and stemmy. Could never get it back to good shape.

So I dumped them and replaced them with the Anubias that was growing madly. Also had a huge hair algae infection. Had to throw away all my moss. Won that battle too, but any newly planted moss will be chewed up by my SAEs within 2 days. So I can't have any moss either.

Here's what it looks like now. Just getting some practice for the final shot :)
Left side. Ferns growing whichever what way they want. I'm at a lost on how to trim them.
DSC07667.jpg

Right side. The ferns and Bolbitis are integrating really well here, just wished the left side was the same!
DSC07669.jpg

The Cascades. Shifting soil has caused it to lose its perception of depth somewhat.
DSC07666.jpg

Phew! Comments are welcomed!

Thanks all for the kind comments! I've still got a ways to go with regards to the stems, they're just not bushing up the way I want them to. Does anyone have any ideas how to trim the ferns? It's just a mess in there. I'm worried that if I snip off too much, it won't grow back in time for the contest deadlines.

SteveUK said:
That's really nice! I like the anubias a lot. I hope to achieve a similar look in my next scape :)

This bunch over here has taken me about 2 years to grow from a rhizome about 2 inches long. It's about 5 or 6 times bigger now.
DSC07667.jpg

A shot of my Trigonostigma hengeli. I think this species is prettier than espei.
4376125326_ace5237914.jpg

A shot of my red cherry shrimp. Nice and red! But no eggs in any of them :(
DSC07661.jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments!

I got pretty fed-up with the right side, soil kept crumbling over the rocks and onto the white sand. So I shored it up with 2 large rocks. Hasn't crumbled since!
DSC07869.jpg

Trimmed the ferns on the left side. Still looking really messy though.
DSC07866.jpg

When the ferns pearl, they lift up. Looks ugly when seen dead on, but from a different angle, it looks kinda relaxing in a shady kinda way :D
DSC07868.jpg

The river that gives this scape its name. Only looks good shot from up high because the crumbling has made the slope disappear! Stupid SAE got in the middle of the shot :twisted:
DSC07867.jpg

Full tank shot, please? Looks really great, the left hand side plant mix is spot on.

stuworrall said:
loving your tank flygja. is that needle fern in there? looks really cool :D
Thanks Stu. It's not needle fern, its narrow leaf fern. I understand that needle fern is even thinner than narrow leaf fern?

Garuf said:
Full tank shot, please? Looks really great, the left hand side plant mix is spot on.
Thanks Garuf! I'm still hoping desperately that it will be ready for IAPLC 2010 but honestly I don't think it will. Having really poor stem regrowth after trimming. Stems that can grow 10 inches in 2 weeks will only grow an inch or two after trimming in that same amount of time o_O I'll post a full tank shot when I get back home.

I think you're pretty hard on yourself, all the ferns and anubias look really healthy, no BBA or Green spot to see. ADA substrates seem to be able to leap tall buildings and somehow always end up in your sand, guess Mr Amano has lots of guys to pick his tanks clean with tweezers, if only the shrimp could be trained :lol:

TBRO said:
I think you're pretty hard on yourself, all the ferns and anubias look really healthy, no BBA or Green spot to see.
Actually I trimmed off a lot of green spot infected Anubias leaves before I took this photo :shh: Got greedy and increased my photo-period by 2 hours to try to get the stems to bush up. Failed miserably o_O You'll also notice that the play sand at the front middle is a bit green :lol:

TBRO said:
ADA substrates seem to be able to leap tall buildings and somehow always end up in your sand, guess Mr Amano has lots of guys to pick his tanks clean with tweezers, if only the shrimp could be trained :lol:
I blame this on myself. When I set the tank up, I followed Amano's guides. Till the point I decided I didn't have enough of a slope and piled on the aquasoil behind the rocks. Needless to say, it started sliding. Shrimps and cories don't help the situation one bit! Amano usually places small rocks tied with moss to prevent aquasoil from sliding. I didn't fancy that look when I designed this tank unfortunately and I'm paying for my setup mistakes!

viktorlantos said:
very nice details and scape. congratulations, nice job! :thumbup:
this tank have to be there at IAPLC. ;)
the fern looks fabulous! i wish i could have this needle leaf version in mine.
Thanks for the encouraging words Victor. Unfortunately, the background stems just aren't doing their thing at the moment. Regrowth after trimming was really poor for the Rotala wallichi and Rotala nanjenshan. Only 10 more days to go :thumbdown:

Flygja - Just read your journal for the first time, excellent looking tank indeed!

Back