• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Foam under tank, overhang?

Epiphyte

Can anyone answer this for me. I've got a rimless tank which had the standard neoprene style mat between it and the cabinet.

The mat is around 8mm narrower on all sides than the tank, effectively leaving the outer panes of glass unsupported.

I see this as an issue, surely it'll be stressing the silicone? But does anyone else have more info?

Interesting that it's commonplace.

I bought the tank used (ADA tank and stand) and I assume it's always been like this. I was going to buy some 6mm neoprene to replace it to the edge but I'm wondering if it's necessary

I think they are always like this, I suspect they cut it to the inside dims of the tank, to allow for some expansion as it is compressed. The tank bonding is designed to withstand the large force applied by the body of water, the weight of the glass (in shear), is probably, very small, in comparison. So I'd say was like this by design, ADA design! Wouldn't be the "ADA finish" if the mat was flapping about over the edge.

Well I've filled the tank and nothing's exploded yet so the undercut foam seems fine.

I've had to put the tank in a temporary place though today just while I disassemble my old tank, the floor is out by 1.3 degrees, giving me about 1cm of water higher at the front than the back. I normally level my tanks as accurate as I can, but for 24hrs or so, will this off-balance be safe for the silicone?

Back