• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Focusing on Nowhere - AS 900

TBRO

I’m about to start a new scape in my AS 900. I was always niggled by my previous scape, it somehow wasn’t balanced. I’m really going to try this time to stick more to principles like: Rule of thirds and focal points.

I’m going to be influenced heavily by some ADA concave scapes, this might be a bit derivative but I would be very happy to have such a tranquil scene in my living room.

I think the AS 900 is a bit boxy (1200 looks more balanced to me in terms of height, width, depth ratio). However I still think I can work this.

Not going to focus on the equipment but it will be high tech, CO2 etc

Some full layout that I like:

5b094d75df771fc54868d8f58d6d4aad.jpg

8649c8bc91d49457299716118cd60e23.jpg

0cf3b8d24ecd7f88792b96f67a3a8249.jpg

I am going to use plain old Java moss, pretty sure that’s what is used in most of these scapes. Just well trimmed!

Eleocharis mini carpet up front.

Some tanks with the textures I want to emulate:

0176277a454251365ba43f61a30d479f.jpg

3be43b83cc06571578b1c8f312759984.jpg

5ae633079f54cf48dbca5c4df64157b9.jpg

I have some wood and I’ve been trying it in a scape box. Think the substrate will be steeper in the tank. What do you think?

282f3f2deea76f14ccfc146addf36e48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t fall down the rabbit hole of trying to translate 120cm scapes to your 90cm - it’s not easy to alter the distances, and maintain perception
Try finding 90cm scapes that you like equally well (good training for that inner eye ;))

Filipe Oliveira posted some new 90 scapes from iberzoo 2019
https://www.facebook.com/FAAOAquascaping/
(going to watch the video now)

The pro scape 90cm tanks look to be similar dimension to EA Aquascaper style

Last edited:
Thanks Alto, I was cognizant if that risk. Some of the ADA scapes I like are even bigger, 180 cm etc.

I guess it’s the style I want to replicate more than anything. I think concave can work in smaller tanks. All a learning process. Think my last tank, I over filled it with hard scape and didn’t leave enough space for plants and just free water. Watch this space.....

Started working on this. Always forget what a drag tearing down a scape is. Let alone catching all the cherry shrimp!

ba6f19ebf31b57b4932219d4532b9693.jpg

Empty with focal point markers in situ.

37fa8656b6118b63a9800c696eae9dc8.jpg

85fa137dd6676d47d2ca3cace0185030.jpg

Wood + Java moss in, probably tweak it some more. Covered up for now. To continue this evening.

Thanks for looking. T

From the photo, wood “islands” seem to fall in a fairly linear line across the tank, I’d move one of them forward for asymmetry

Cool will look out for that. Hard to see due to lack of contrast on the dark substrate. Will try and emphasize the front to back differences with crypts. Tedious to plant!!!

Very nice wood. you don't leave much space for background planting, if you look at the tanks you posted as examples, you see that the hardscape is placed much closer to the front of the tank. Somewhere around the middle.

Thanks Alto and Akwarium, I think you are right the wood on the left could do with being further forward. However I’d already planted the eleocharis lawn (finger still hurts!) I would cry if I had to move it now. Was up till 01:45 finishing planting....

Added a couple more bits of wood to bulk out the left island. Try and make the left pop forward more.

Got some Blyxa today from @Chrispowell. Looking good in the background with the rotala green.

d6854ad66972a94bfa00039b5d96c441.jpg

Really interesting that I left the CO2 set as per my previous scape and the fish were gasping. Quick water change and I’ve dialed the CO2 right back. Think the old scape had such bad water movement due to the massive hard scape. Plants pearling away nicely now.
Thanks for looking. T

12416d181e80877fbfc3426fc6f714ae.jpg

e9682b4b2503f53f17e82aedc3171fa9.jpg

Couple more shots, definitely think the extra wood on the left, helps with the sense of depth. Need to think what I’m going to do with the stems, not sure they will be a long term fixture? Maybe replace with tall crypts eventually...

Love this layout, true NA style which is my favourite. No rocks though? Also maybe just a touch of orange/reddish plants to give contrast against the green - my 60p was planted like this and the green was overwhelming

Love this layout, true NA style which is my favourite. No rocks though? Also maybe just a touch of orange/reddish plants to give contrast against the green - my 60p was planted like this and the green was overwhelming

Thanks, there are a few rocks stabilizing the wood but will be hidden by the plants!

I’ve never been super confident about using red stems but I guess I could plant them into the rotala green at a later date?

I do know what you mean, it is very green! Hopefully different shades and textures will stop it getting too homogeneous. I’m going to keep some of the wood clear of moss to keep some brown/red colour. I’m not sure what kind of wood it is, maybe Hawthorn? Looks very red when cut so might retain some red underwater.

I’m hoping the crypts and trident fern will fill out the middle so the lawn is less imposing.

Love the scapes in the thread Tim links too. Some amazing works

2ed70f4a195746e999f9ce48e5d49bea.jpg

Colour of the wood in tank

Looks great,Classic NA style.
Think you nailed the wood placement in the 900 size, As it grows in if you trim the rotalas in domes following the lines of the wood will look great. If you want some colours just mix a few diff rotala sp in with the green.

Been fighting diatoms in this scape. Plants growing but marred by brown discoloring. Must say the nerites I got are amazing, even sort out old anubias leaves

a7fd7a9cafb94330a910d925dc92ad8c.jpg

Little video, diatoms seem to be settling with some green spot algae in it’s place! Thinking of trying twinstar nano????

Also need to decide on what to do with the stems.

Back