• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fontinalis antipyretica will it attach?

Angus

as per title, growing it at 25C just fine, lovely and green, but will it actually attach itself? i did find it growing attached to a rock but i'm wondering if you can just tie it to something and get it to attach itself, i've read differing opinions from searches.

I think the confusion arrises because there are similar but different varieties and species out there sold under the umbrella of willow moss. I also think growth form can differ depending on conditions. The ones I've had have attached to wood, but not really that securely. They also grew quite happily in a tropical aquarium but I understand they prefer cooler temps.

my thinking was that the moss colonised the rock at an early stage and then grew to this size, rather than attached as a mature specimen, to be fair i don't even know if what i have is "willow moss" but it looks like what i have found under the name fontinalis antipyretica, it is much larger than most common aquarium mosses, will get a picture and upload it when i can.

It's a lovely looking moss when it waves in flowing water, a really unique looking plant that would be something different to try in a river type scape, thanks for the replies tim. :)

as per title, growing it at 25C just fine, lovely and green, but will it actually attach itself? i did find it growing attached to a rock but i'm wondering if you can just tie it to something and get it to attach itself, i've read differing opinions from searches.

It grows very plant like in tall bushes, it's an extremely easy and fast growing moss from temprate regions. It's an evergreen and actual the only green plant under the ice in the winter.. I have tons of it in the garden and donnu where to go with it, if conditions are right it's a pest. I guess it will attach as most mosses do, all tho it grows faster than it attaches and it has relatively brittle stems that easily break off. It is found in nature also in rivers, mainly in the shallow shore sides in rather large patches. There it likely will be attached between the rocks or else it would fload away.. :)

Back