• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Foreground plants in shade?

Tucker90

Trying to plan my next tank, I’ve got a basic layout planned but the hardscape casts some shadows,

Looking for “foreground” (smaller plants) that won’t mind a shady spot.

Planning on having lots of microsorum trident, crypts, bolbitis and H. Pinnatifida and glosso.

So low light crypts would be good or something I haven’t thought of?!

Here’s the tank and where I’m thinking;

54a28c09d6eaa6b54026677b71a35b8f.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO2 I assume from the glosso?

If yes, then MC is much more tolerant of shade (it will usually react with slower growth, smaller leaf)

With CO2 and good nutrition, I suspect some of the Crypts will react by growing taller in the shade areas, so I’d choose smallest Crypts available
Marsilea hirsuta and crenata are other options
Buce - placed between the rocks in one shaded position, tied to a small stone and placed atop soil in the other (though some do grow Buce very successfully in substrate)
Mosses - as with the Buce, tie to stone and then lift for trimming

CO2 I assume from the glosso?

If yes, then MC is much more tolerant of shade (it will usually react with slower growth, smaller leaf)

With CO2 and good nutrition, I suspect some of the Crypts will react by growing taller in the shade areas, so I’d choose smallest Crypts available
Marsilea hirsuta and crenata are other options
Buce - placed between the rocks in one shaded position, tied to a small stone and placed atop soil in the other (though some do grow Buce very successfully in substrate)
Mosses - as with the Buce, tie to stone and then lift for trimming

Hi alto,

Yeah, co2 via FE and will be an in-line diffuser, the one in the picture is temp!

I’ve seen people growing buce in substrate but the 1 time I tried it it just died back within weeks!

I think I will look to planting buce in the crack on the right and crypt parva on the left!

Going to be trying out the 1-2 pots for the parva so hopefully it works!

Crypt size description varies so much! Really wish I could find a simple scale of various sizes.

But I guess the conditions in which they are grown varies the size they are!

This has a chihiros RGB above it so will get more than enough light for anything!

Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be aware, that Crypt. Parva is really not as shade tolerant as many other Crypts. The Crypt. Parva has very little leaf-plate and stay close to bottom of your tank......both means the plant will receive less light.

Back