• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Found a baby bird. ID needed

Hi All,

I just found a little baby bird near the supermarket in the city.

Can anyone ID?

I hope it makes it, poor thing. I've never ever kept birds before and I know nothing about them.

I put it in an opened box and it's in my fish room. I tried to give it some smashed walnuts with water but it wouldn't eat. I guess it's still in shock. It was in the street, I nearly stepped on it.

20200704_184940.jpg
20200704_185004.jpg

I'd perhaps contact the rspb as it looks like it's fledged or close to it. It may have flown into something and become dazed so expert help might be able to tell you what to do.

Yes, a common swift it is.

I am not sure how I'll go about insects. :rolleyes:

Would any water critters work, e.g. cherry shrimp, snails, californian black worms? Fish food?

Or can I catch something, although I can't imagine how here in the city...

I just sent an email to bird rescue Ireland. I hope they come back with something.

I am totally lost here. I gave it a tiny bit of water. I think some went it.

I have raised baby birds before. Once they open their eyes, they have a fixation of their parents and will refuse to be fed from human hand. Unless they are big enough to be self feed, they are doomed.

I couldn't sleep. I got up at 5.30 to try to feed the bird. It is still alive and I managed to force feed some food and water. I used soaked fish food. I know it's not insects and totally unsuitable but it was too weak from not drinking and eating so it was either that or starve it to death. It's chirping here next to me in a made up nest from an old hat and an ashtray and I am reading on what I can do.

Wow good on you for trying to save the poor thing!
It definitely needs insects but perhaps garden worms or anything you could find under a stone might help.
I think the main issue is it will need feeding every few hours at least and probably better to feed small items every 30 minutes!
I am no expert on this though but I do wish you and the little fella the best of luck .

A couple of years ago in winter we found a juvenile hedgehog very cold and looked distressed .We phoned the RSPCA for advice they advised take it to the nearest vets as they have an obligation to take in wildlife in these situations In basket wrapping the little fellow we took to the vets. Vets accepted straight away the hedgehog got quite a few "awes"

You need to go and get some maggots from your local fishing tackle shop ASAP.
Cat food and fish food will kill it. To much water will kill it. Milk will kill it.
If you need to verify my advice please phone St Tiggywinkles NOW 01844 290494 or 01844 29229
They have 24 7 day advice.

Time to buy a fly swatter... :) Nice find, success!!... Would be awesome to be able to save and let it fly away again one day...

This year i found 3 birds too, a pigeon, a sparrow and a blackbird... All 3 had a broken neck or something and didn't make it very long. I actually did hear them arrive, i don't know what it is but occasionally a bird flies against the window and smashes itself to death.. I guess these must be birds with bad eyesight and think they can fly through and then smash themself into the window. Realy strange i hear from more people that it occasionally happens to them too.

This year was exceptional 3 birds in a few weeks time...

Last edited:
occasionally a bird flies against the window and smashes itself to death.
Do you have windows on opposite side of each other so that they can see through to the other side? We used to get that, and a simple sticker on the glass stopped it from happening.

Do you have windows on opposite side of each other so that they can see through to the other side? We used to get that, and a simple sticker on the glass stopped it from happening.

No, i do not have windows opposite of each other. I'm not sure a sticker will help, or the sticker should be 60% size of the window with a Stop sign printed on it.

I have things hanging in front of the window and they are not bothered by that, probably just try to fly past it. I know birds are intelligent but giving them the property to distinct a single sticker on a window as a no go sign. I rather believe the sticker is a placebo effect and it's waiting for the day for the proof that it is.

I have once seen a blackbird fly by in my garden, at full speed through a 10x10 cm wire mesh overgrown with ivy.. Can you imagine it saw and found that single hole in the fence in full speed flight? It sheared through and landed on the sheds roof 10 metres behind that. I applaud that little fellow for his amazing top gun flying skills. Awesome to witness this in person.:cool:

If it can do that, it should definitively see a dirty window as an obstacle... My best guess is that not all birds are equally smart, some are reckless and caught by the cat and some do not pay attention to where they fly. Maybe it happens in a panic escape attempt chased by a predator. We have some sparrowhawks in the neighbourhood, they are known to hunt and hit in flight.

Last edited:
Try these, it should take them.

Also if you have Pets at Home, they will have lots of grubs and insects that it can eat in the reptile food section.
Or a local Pet Shop!

Back