• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

found my self in a bit of a pickle with which filter..

timme278

tank: 12x8x8" like the one used by george farmer... http://www.ukaps.org/featured-scape002.htm
lighting: 11w arcadia clipon thing
substrate: seachem black flourite
plants & scape: seiryu stone, hc and baylxa j.
co2: will be trying a cheapo co2 thanks to this guide viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7696
fish & inverts: hopeing crystal shrimp if i can get some decent shrimp :) if not then endlers

right, my pickle of a question... which filter to use? i would like an external with lily pipes, but i dont want them to be massive compaired to the tank or to have way over filteration... i used to have a "Azoo Mignon Filter 60" but i found it made a racket

so as a wonderful student, i love my sleep. the filter needs to be quite & to not over filter the tank

thankyouuu
tim

with regard to the cheap chinese one you bought steve, do you have a clue if it would fit an arc tank.

with a width of 12 inches (for the spraybar) (i.e would it fit in that gap)
depth of 11 inches (for the inlet)

those measurements are from the top of the glass obviously not the water line.

cheers

Eheim 2213 or something else with a 300-700lph turnover. That gives you room for an inline heater and diffuser and the cal aqua pipes should fit a charm.

Nick16 said:
with regard to the cheap chinese one you bought steve, do you have a clue if it would fit an arc tank.

with a width of 12 inches (for the spraybar) (i.e would it fit in that gap)
depth of 11 inches (for the inlet)

Yes, I think so. Even if they don't, it's a quick hacksaw job to make them fit ;) I did that when I moved this filter to another tank.

Garuf said:
Eheim 2213 or something else with a 300-700lph turnover. That gives you room for an inline heater and diffuser and the cal aqua pipes should fit a charm.

This is exactly what I'm doing on my TGM nano. I have an eheim classic 2213 and a Hydor ETH200, along with Cal Aqua nano glassware :)

I'll be using a ex700 glasswear and heater, sold my 2213 when tetra treated me with the ex foc. My tank is 5 gallons so it's a lot more turnover than I'd usual got for but since it was free I don't mind so much. It's a shame you can't get the tetra ex400's all reports say they're excellent.

so the cheap chinese things are only 200lph? i use a Azoo mignon 240 at the moment, and the flow is just about okay at the moment. could have done with 250-300lph really.

Garuf said:

dont you think thatll be proper over kill on such a small tank? i mean, there will probably be more water in the filter than tank :lol: :lol:

Not at all. You can throw flow at a tank, even if there's more water in the filter it just means that your going to be much more stable.
The eden 501's have a stated turnover of 300lph, a 2213 400lph the smallest tetra ex 600lph, all would be totally fine.
Or put another way, I ran a ex1200 on full whack on my 5gallon 11" cube and I didn't have one issue with algae or flow distribution I used lillys and the fish were the healthiest I've known and the water crystal. The issue was keeping snails from getting stuck in the glass ware. :rolleyes:

I've used (and will be using) an Eheim 2213 on my nano which is approx. 20 litres (one of these). It was fine as a filter, but I did find it would dig up the substrate (ADA AS powder) on the opposite side of the tank. I was using Cal Aqua nano lily pipes.

That being said, I plan to stuff it with more media this time around to restrict the flow a little more :)

Hi all,
if I remove a little media will this improve my flow rate? Will it have much of a negative impact on filtration
the answer to this is almost certainly no. The biological filtration potential of even a small sponge filter is huge. The problem normally is that the water becomes de-oxygenated in the filter (the oxygen demand of the nitrogen cycle is large), and so the effective volume of the of the filter is smaller than it would appear.

In a planted tank with fast water turnover, low fish load and little organic waste (ordinary hetrotrophic bacteria will add to the bio load), the water in the filter will be highly oxygenated entering the filter and will have a low residence time, meaning that all the potential filtration sites will be actual sites and the actual biological filtration potential very large.

I use ceramic or sintered glass rings and a coarse sponge (ppi 10) (as a prefilter) and this means that clogging is very unlikely and both flow and biological filtration will remain high.

cheers Darrel

Back