• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fractal

cbaum86

My AS900 was a Christmas present and has been sat waiting for me to get around to building a stand and until I knew I had the budget to hit it in one fell swoop. Well, finally took the plunge and figured I'd use the extended hours of being at home to get myself into gear so I could while away those extra hours with something to both keep occupied with the initial maintenance and something to spend my evening gazing into.

Setup
Tank: Aquascaper 900
Filter (and Heater): Oase Biomaster 600 Thermo
CO2: Co2 Art reg on FE, Sera Flore 500 reactor with Hydor Universal Pump
Lighting: Chihiros Vivid V1
Substrate: Tropica Soil & Powder with a base of crushed lava rock. Unipac Tana Sand
Ferts: TNC Complete

I really wanted to do a rock heavy scape. In the past I've tended to have wood as the feature element with supporting rocks as the kinda 'man behind the scenes' as it were, giving structure but never in the limelight. I has some ideas of what I wanted to achieve from a trip to Aquarium Gardens a few months ago when I played around in the dry scape area and brought back a fair amount of Seiryu. I'd roughed out 3 or 4 layouts to serve as a basis.

Let the fun begin...

AS900-Setup.jpg

I knew from how I'd banked the sand in the dry scape area I was either going to take out a 2nd mortgage for soil or use something cheap as a filler material so I bought 20kg of crushed lava rock. I put most of it into some media bags I had laying around as I thought they'd be easier to remove in the future, then filled the gaps with some loose. I placed a bag of Seachem Flourish Tabs in and around the lava rock just as a catch all, no idea if it was needed or not but I'd rather it be there than not.

AS900-LavaBags.jpg AS900-LavaBags2.jpg

I used 2 bags of Tropica Soil and a further bag and a bit of Soil Powder on top which seems to have given enough planting depth throughout.

Time to start playing with the hardscape. I had the general layout up fairly quickly but I knew over the next couple of weeks whilst I tweaked and amended my plant list I would invariably also make changes to the hardscape.

From the first 'final' layout I wasn't quite happy with the right hand side, it all looked a little disjointed and sat too far back compared to the left.

AS900-FTS-Hardscape1.jpg

So the tweaking began. The idea was to elevate and strengthen the hardscape in the foreground on the right but I still wasn't sure. I also hadn't decided whether I wanted a sand path in the middle or if I was going to plant everything. I liked the aesthetics of the sand but was it just going to annoy me with keeping it soil free.

AS900-FTS-Hardscape2.jpg

I finally decided to order the plants so had to get the final hardscape in place. I'm happy with the outcome. Moved the right hand main stone forwards to integrate it with the foreground hardscape more and went with the sand path. If it gets on my nerves too much I'll just syphon it out and plant up the middle but I figure you have to give these things a try.

AS900-FTS-FinalHardscape.jpg

And here is the view from sat on the sofa. The light is only temporarily there as it's still running my existing tank so when the plants get here that will be shut down and I'll move it over properly.

AS900-Viewpoint.png

Looks really good mate I like the path way breaks up the rocks and gives a sence of depth also helps to draw your eye to the back of the scape
What's the plant list?

Amazing hard scape mate! Can’t fault it! Love the details on the oath as well! Looking forward to this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Isn't there a hardscape contest going on... ;)
My only tiny little PERSONAL opinion is the small rocks creating the pathway are very different from the 'mountains'. I would prefer similar type rocks.

Hi @cbaum86

I know very little about aquascaping. May I ask why you chose the title 'Fractal' for your thread? Is this a recognized layout in the world of 'scaping? I ask because I used to play around with fractal pattern generators for PCs when they emerged on the scene about 30 years ago.

JPC

Looks really good mate I like the path way breaks up the rocks and gives a sence of depth also helps to draw your eye to the back of the scape
Thanks, we shall see how long it lasts with the aforementioned cleaning. I wanted a scape I could really be involved with (hence a lot of the plant choice) so hopefully it will remain.

What's the plant list?
  • Rotala Vietnam H'ra
  • Rotala sp. 'Yao Yai'
  • Rotala Rotundifolia
  • Rotala Green
  • Gratiola viscidula
  • Ranunculus inundatus
  • Hydrocotyle verticillata
  • Ludwigia sp. mini super red
  • Rotala Bonsai
  • Lilaeopsis Novae-zelandiae
  • Eleocharis mini
  • Staurogyne Repens
  • Cryptocoryne parva
  • Marsilea Crenata
  • Micranthemum Monte Carlo
  • Anubias Nana Bonsai
  • Bucephalandra Caterina

Nice! Isn't there a hardscape contest going on... ;)
My only tiny little PERSONAL opinion is the small rocks creating the pathway are very different from the 'mountains'. I would prefer similar type rocks.

Thanks, you may well be right. I couldn't face buying something for 2 handfuls of 'pebbles' so I used some from a bag of leftover gravel I had from gardening.
My aim was to have something that had both the colours of the sand and the rock to help transition but I'm not set on it.

I have a piece of the Seiryu I'm tempted to smash up to create some small shards but if that looks crap I've just lost a nice rock.
I'll see how they look with some plants dotted amongst them, not like they're fixed down so easy to chop and change.

I know very little about aquascaping. May I ask why you chose the title 'Fractal' for your thread? Is this a recognized layout in the world of 'scaping? I ask because I used to play around with fractal pattern generators for PCs when they emerged on the scene about 30 years ago.

I can't claim to know a great deal about aquascaping either and I don't think the term refers to anything; certainly nothing I've come across before. It was just something I had in the back of my head when I was looking at it and thought the sound of the word fit the look of the scape. I thought as an overall scape there is an almost random or chaotic appearance but with some kind of rhythm coming from the shape of each individual rock due to similar characteristic of basic shape - triangular/pyramid esque. I have no idea if it strictly fits (as I've never done anything with fractal patterns or the like, but it works in my head.

Thanks, we shall see how long it lasts with the aforementioned cleaning. I wanted a scape I could really be involved with (hence a lot of the plant choice) so hopefully it will remain.
I find pathways dont stay perfect but show me a path in nature that is perfect as long as you dont get to much soil it's not a issue and it's easy to replace a little sand now and again

That is a awesome plant list like the feel of them.already

The hardscape looks great and wow thats a great Christmas present, and as you say a perfect opportunity to get on with it. Looking forward to this one looking very promising, keep us posted mate.

Thanks Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Incredible scape!
Incredible cabinet!
Incredible background!
I’m sure I’ve commented on this stand elsewhere but it really is unique and cool, love the light stand too :cool:
The hardscape you have created is just awesome. Really looking forward to following this build.
Oh, and as mentioned by kilnakorr you should look at the scape event in the events section :thumbup:

very nice rock arrangement.

The only thing I would change are the little pebbles on the path. You could try to crush some seiryu stones and add some details with it instead.

following with interest. ;)

Incredible scape!
Incredible cabinet!
Incredible background!
I’m sure I’ve commented on this stand elsewhere but it really is unique and cool, love the light stand too :cool:
The hardscape you have created is just awesome. Really looking forward to following this build.

Cheers, always means a lot when someone you respect on the forum makes such kind comments. Always keep an eye out for your comments, particularly on people's hardscape.
I had to make the cabinet to fit with the background - and save some money to be spent on plants of course. Yorkshire tight blahblahblahblah masking as creativity ;):greedy:

Back