• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fresh Start

mfcphil

Here we go with hopefully some lesson learnt

240L 4 foot tank

Ferts:
Potassium Nitrate & Potassium Phosphate (SAME BOTTLE)
Potassium Nitrate 39g to 500ml for the solution
Potassium Phosphate 30g to 500ml for the solution

dosage = 50ml 3 times per week

Trace
18g to 500ml for the solution

dosage = 50ml 3 times per week.

50% water chage every Sunday

Decided to get the Eheim Pro 3

3.jpg

Using the aquabase plus as a filler with the amazonia on the top

2.jpg

Here is the tank....What to plant??????????????

1.jpg

Phil

Spot on matey :thumbup: can't wait to that bad boy work, you have made a good choice, one thing I would do - like I did to mine is fit some isolation taps in the incoming / out going pipes
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EHEIM-16mm-DOUBLE ... 518ed47e4a
makes it easy when your cleaning and the big advantage is the pre filter its stops a vast amount of debris which would become end bedded into the media (dirty media) my noodles + round ball media (bottom tray + other trays) are as clean as the day I put them in and mine has been running for twelve months now.

I will post a picy of my filter + isolation taps later.

Regards
paul.

That looks like a great start. I imagine lots of possibilities for this nice big tank.

Flyfisherman said:
Phil

Spot on matey :thumbup: can't wait to that bad boy work, you have made a good choice, one thing I would do - like I did to mine is fit some isolation taps in the incoming / out going pipes
makes it easy when your cleaning and the big advantage is the pre filter its stops a vast amount of debris which would become end bedded into the media (dirty media) my noodles + round ball media (bottom tray + other trays) are as clean as the day I put them in and mine has been running for twelve months now.

Regards
paul.

Would like to see how you have added your taps so look forward to a pic.....fill her up tonight and am well impressed with how quiet it is :clap:

WIll only having half a tanks worth of spray bar not mean you only have half the tanks water column moving?

Garuf said:
WIll only having half a tanks worth of spray bar not mean you only have half the tanks water column moving?

top of the shopping list...a bigger bar!

:lol:
I'd love to see a big wood scape. Most big tanks do iwagumis recently.
I don't think I'd even have a sand foreground I'd have hairgrass and crypts of lillenopsis like on Samc's. I think it'd be brilliant.

get a black background on there as well to hide those green pipes.

i went to hobbycraft, got a 10m roll of poster paper (by 70cm) for £2.83. bargain.

hides all the cables and pipework and makes it easy when photographing.

Blurgh, anything but black.
Never liked black as a background, far too overpowering and often ruins a good scape.

Garuf said:
Never liked black as a background, far too overpowering and often ruins a good scape.

:lol: (Ahem) amano.... SUIKEI, Nature Aquarium Visual Magazine spring 2000 vol.3

mfcphil said:
Any ideas?

surely this is your choice?

iwagumi, NA style, jungle, dutch,river, brick scape.... :angelic:

your mind is your only barrier, unless your most of us and just copy what's already been done....this is how we learn.

I would rearange the outflow as well. Put it on the sidewall?
Do you think eheim would give you enough flow for 240l?

Even amano produces stinkers you know. I'm sure there's some would be better with a pale background. :lol:
Personal preference at the end of the day really. I've not got the funds to buy the books so I've never really been hyper aware of amano scapes as I would be if I had.

If it was on the side wall the flow at one end would still be poor from my experience this is the case even in small tanks.

What kind of ideas are you having for the tank?

Garuf said:
What kind of ideas are you having for the tank?

Agree with the background not sure what colour yet...but black is ok by me

I'm just looking at lots of pictures at the moment...lucky for me most tanks are not subject to copyright :D

Saintly recently posted a thread with 300odd photos from the ada gallery if he'd be kind enough to repost it it's a really good thread.
I did have a thread which collated everything I could find at the time on amano but that was years and years ago now but it's since dissapeared from tff where I posted it.
I like the competition photos best myself, more people with different ideas bean it's less hero worship and more individual through degrees of separation. Not that I'm accusing anyone of hero worship of course, I don't mean it to come out that way.

mfcphil said:
Flyfisherman said:
Phil

Regards
paul.

Would like to see how you have added your taps so look forward to a pic.....fill her up tonight and am well impressed with how quiet it is :clap:

Phil

Picyies attached - Filter in position + close up picyies off isolation taps. When I do my water change I undo the tap which is on the returning water pipe and attached my hose pipe which has corresponding tap on it, the other end of the pipe goes into the sink and I use the filter to pump my water out.

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSCN3429.jpg

As for refilling the end with the Hozeleock connection goes onto the mixer tap and the other end with the tap isolator goes into the tank - time to empty tank 50% is approx 10 mins - refill takes about 20 mins.

I will take some more picyies @ weekend of the hose connected.

Regards
paul.

I like the sound of using the outlet pipe for water changes but Paul how do you add Aquasafe to the new water?

just pour it straight into the tank. (i use pond dechlor, its cheaper - 1ml for 75L)

alot of people dont actually use dechlor nower days. i normally add 1 or 2mls just to be on the safe side.

Back