• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Friends turtle tank!

Don’t they grow big really quickly?

Well Yes, but not so realy quickly, i've seen escapies in the local ponds at about 25cm.. Captive they also see your fingers as food.
A friend of mine had 4 of them, the biggest was about 20cm, takes quite some years to get that size.

Official sites still do not acknowledge that they breed in hour regions in the wild.. But they definitively do, i've seen it and i'm not alone.

Well Yes, but not so realy quickly, i've seen escapies in the local ponds at about 25cm.. Captive they also see your fingers as food.
A friend of mine had 4 of them, the biggest was about 20cm, takes quite some years to get that size.

She’ll length of this one is around 15cm, he’s supposedly around 15 years old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She’ll length of this one is around 15cm, he’s supposedly around 15 years old!

Maximum size for a male is 20cm, female can reach 30cm.. :)

I have a few waters near my home where they live in the wild.

in tanks they stay around 20 25 cm..
in natural environment they can exceed 30 cm..
mine would try to escape but it's all about water level as the floating platform will aid in there escape. red ears are prohibited were I am.. only yellow bellys allowed.. females are much bigger maybe 5 to 10 cm..

the red ones are the aggressive and they grow too big for the normal home size tank.. so they get let free into the wild and destroy the local habitat..
realistically in my tank I had to push all greenery to the back wall and like I said I big piece of driftwood bolted to slate and rivere stones.. you cannot have anything above water line they climb on and run for it.. I don't know how 1 morning I checked as I normally do.. I female missing.. I found her under my settee chilling..
note.. my water line was 25cm from the top.. I clocked on to how she escaped.. because she was slightly bigger she climb on his shoulders and grabbed the black plastic frame..

Red Ear Import is prohibited in the complete EU.. Already a long time, it probably still goes around from hand to hand privately.. Or caught in the wild and kept captive.

As said officialy the eggs alledgedly do not hatch in our climate. But that's not correct.. I see them in several ponds stacked up sunbading on a rock like the Bremen Town Musician in all sizes. If the eggs don't hatch than it must be at least 2 dozens escapped in one small pond. That seams very unlikey to me.. :)

I see them in several ponds stacked up sunbading on a rock like the Bremen Town Musician in all sizes
haha.. it used to be that way here but they had to cull in large numbers.. no natural predators and they upset and destroy local environments.. rebels

Last edited:
I will post some pictures of my friends sliders next week as I am doing some maintenance on his tank.
I built the tank last year, it is around 5’ x 2’ x2’ with an elevated dry area .
I would say his are around 10” long and probably about 3lb in weight each.
He now wants an open top, outdoor area so they can bask in natural sun light.

So did the tank yesterday!

Used a mixture of 40mm and some huge river cobbles, banked up and built over a bit of red root!

Plugged just over 30 java fern and tied a load of moss to the wood!

Couldn’t get a picture without reflection but an over tank shot will do!

He seems happy with it! Not interested in eating the plants, knocked a few loose plants out within 24 hours but that was to be expected! His owner found him snoozing in the plants as well!

We’re gonna add some amazon swords and probably some Anubias later if he settles and doesn’t destroy it!

00025c524fd73e6e7460c30f0384a30b.jpg

Will get a decent shot next time I’m round!

If he’s going to eat the plants it will likely be the yummy new shoots :D

Salmonella becomes an issue as turtles are often kept in too small containers with inadequate filters and water changes

It’s not intrinsic to wild living red ear slider turtles ... where they get v.e.r.y big (local laggoon is well populated with released “pet” turtles - which are no longer legal for sale for several years now (& local parks with any water ways had to be severely culled :( - one Ornamental Koi pond was drained and thousands of turtles euthanized)

If he’s going to eat the plants it will likely be the yummy new shoots :D

Salmonella becomes an issue as turtles are often kept in too small containers with inadequate filters and water changes

It’s not intrinsic to wild living red ear slider turtles ... where they get v.e.r.y big (local laggoon is well populated with released “pet” turtles - which are no longer legal for sale for several years now (& local parks with any water ways had to be severely culled :( - one Ornamental Koi pond was drained and thousands of turtles euthanized)

So sad! But needs must a I guess! No different to me culling deer or rabbits on the farm!

Yeah I read about the salmonella! Literally bleached my hands when I was done! Had it before... never again!

He’s in this 150L cube at the moment but I have told the owner he needs a bigger tank, But money is tight for them so he’ll have to wait for a while! They have set up a “rufus savings fund” so maybe in the not so distant future he’ll be in a much bigger tank!

Back