• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

"Friendship" - Dennerle 20L Cube

Jur4ik

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
Hi,
Sunday I have done another Dennerle 20L Cube for a friend.

Size: 20x20x25cm - 20Liter
Filter: AquaEL Fan Filter1 Plus 320lph
Heater: AquaEL nano heater - 25°C
Light: Dennerle 11Watt - 6h/day
Substrate: ADA AS Amazonia
Co2: Pressurized 0,5kg bottle - 1bbl/4sec
Hardscape: Ohko Stones
Plants: UG, E.Parvula

Hope this time to have more success with UG :lol: otherwise it has been my last attempt on this plant for the next few scapes :D

SP_A0316.jpg


SP_A0317.jpg


SP_A0318.jpg


Any comments and critizism are welcome
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,484
Location
newark notts.
i'm interested in your approach to UG. it's one plant i do want to try in the future.

nice looking scape my friend 8)
 

Steve Smith

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2007
Messages
4,421
Location
Leamington Spa, UK.
Nice looking rocky hill side :) My only concern is that the centre rock is quite dominent. I'm sure when the UG grows in it'll come together nicely though, and soften the rocks.

Lovely little tank :)
 

Jur4ik

Member
Thread starter
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
SteveUK said:
Nice looking rocky hill side :) My only concern is that the centre rock is quite dominent. I'm sure when the UG grows in it'll come together nicely though, and soften the rocks.

Lovely little tank :)

Thanks Steve,
the center rock is holding the whole AS in the right rear corner and the shots are a bit from the top, not exactly frontal view. So in person it looks more as this stone would lay on the ground isnt as dominant. Once grown in hope too everything will come more together.

LondonDragon said:
Good luck with the UG, I have heard its very demanding and does best in RO water. Looking good so far! :)

Thanks LD,
As we have a very soft tap water here there is no need for RO. My Discus do breed in tap water :)

saintly said:
i'm interested in your approach to UG. it's one plant i do want to try in the future.

nice looking scape my friend 8)

Thanks Mark,
tried to create some different looking iwagumi.
Something I already learned about it, you have to be patient with it, as it a very slow grower specialy in the initial time.
First time a planted it, it took forever. Last sunday I made same as you do with HC ;)
 

Steve Smith

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2007
Messages
4,421
Location
Leamington Spa, UK.
Jur4ik said:
SteveUK said:
Nice looking rocky hill side :) My only concern is that the centre rock is quite dominent. I'm sure when the UG grows in it'll come together nicely though, and soften the rocks.

Lovely little tank :)

Thanks Steve,
the center rock is holding the whole AS in the right rear corner and the shots are a bit from the top, not exactly frontal view. So in person it looks more as this stone would lay on the ground isnt as dominant. Once grown in hope too everything will come more together.

Yes, it's always difficult to gauge when looking at photos :) I wish there was a quick and easy way to take a 3D image of your tank :D
 

John Starkey

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2007
Messages
1,600
Location
worcester
Hi Jur4ik,nice little tank i keep my eye on how it goes,i have a 30ltr dennerle nano waiting to be set up,the stone you have looks very much like dragon stone,hope the ug grows for you this time,
regards john.
 

Jur4ik

Member
Thread starter
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
aaronnorth said:
nice scape, i would of left the rock at the back out though. I have heard UG does best in a low nutrition substrate,

thanks aaronnorth,
Maybe it stays smaller in low nutrition, because mine grew up to 4cm :wideyed:

john starkey said:
Hi Jur4ik,nice little tank i keep my eye on how it goes,i have a 30ltr dennerle nano waiting to be set up,the stone you have looks very much like dragon stone,hope the ug grows for you this time,
regards john.

Please keep the fingers crossed for me :D Ohko Stone = Dragon Stone
 

nry

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2007
Messages
1,227
Location
Cumbria, UK
I'd love to see the UG do well - I've tried it twice in new and also mature tanks and it has done nothing beyond go all straggly! It looks amazing if it grows well :)
 

Jur4ik

Member
Thread starter
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
nry said:
I'd love to see the UG do well - I've tried it twice in new and also mature tanks and it has done nothing beyond go all straggly! It looks amazing if it grows well :)

Thanks nry,
In my own nano UG almost melted after I trimmed it down.

little update
Foto-0063_2.jpg
 

Jur4ik

Member
Thread starter
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
more pieces of UG melted away.
Here is an update or should I say what is left :lol:
Foto%2018.jpg
 

Garuf

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2007
Messages
5,005
Location
Copenhagen
A lot of the US hobbiest I've noticed are dry starting it to give it a good footing apparently it just doesn't like that initial hardship. I've also read it likes to be planted really deeply in the substrate. I tried it and mine melted really badly soon after planting.
 

Jur4ik

Member
Thread starter
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
Well, the point I wonder about is that not every piece is melting and not all that melted, started at the same time :rolleyes:
 

Jur4ik

Member
Thread starter
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
hope those are left will stay fine, in this case I would refill the gaps with HC or maybe with riccia stones .. :?
 

Jur4ik

Member
Thread starter
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
this is what´s left .. :((

IMG_0009.JPG


Hairgrass is doing fine, lots of runners.

Now there is a something like brown algae on the UG near the bottom .. Co2 has been increased to 1b/2sec and started dosing tropica plant nutrition 1ml after each wc
 

Jur4ik

Member
Thread starter
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
Now all the UG has melted and the tank looks a bit naked, it will be replanted soon, maybe today :wideyed:
As the owner of this tank has moved into another city I´m waiting for some tap water to test as he has heard that it is not as good as where we live now. If the tap water is acceptable we will maybe rescape the whole tank otherwise it will stay as it is (only with new plants) in his parents house.
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Dennerle Scaper 55l out crop Journals 0
GHNelson Dennerle Scapers Tank 35 Litre "The Red Ring" Journals 24
Matthew Robinson 20l nano cube Journals 37

Similar threads

Top