"Friendship" - Dennerle 20L Cube

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Jur4ik, 9 Jun 2009.

1. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

Hi,
    Sunday I have done another Dennerle 20L Cube for a friend.

Size: 20x20x25cm - 20Liter
    Filter: AquaEL Fan Filter1 Plus 320lph
    Heater: AquaEL nano heater - 25°C
    Light: Dennerle 11Watt - 6h/day
    Substrate: ADA AS Amazonia
    Co2: Pressurized 0,5kg bottle - 1bbl/4sec
    Hardscape: Ohko Stones
    Plants: UG, E.Parvula

Hope this time to have more success with UG :lol: otherwise it has been my last attempt on this plant for the next few scapes :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any comments and critizism are welcome

2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i'm interested in your approach to UG. it's one plant i do want to try in the future.

nice looking scape my friend 8)

3. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Good luck with the UG, I have heard its very demanding and does best in RO water. Looking good so far! :)

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Nice looking rocky hill side :) My only concern is that the centre rock is quite dominent. I'm sure when the UG grows in it'll come together nicely though, and soften the rocks.

Lovely little tank :)

5. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

Thanks Steve,
    the center rock is holding the whole AS in the right rear corner and the shots are a bit from the top, not exactly frontal view. So in person it looks more as this stone would lay on the ground isnt as dominant. Once grown in hope too everything will come more together.

Thanks LD,
    As we have a very soft tap water here there is no need for RO. My Discus do breed in tap water :)

Thanks Mark,
    tried to create some different looking iwagumi.
    Something I already learned about it, you have to be patient with it, as it a very slow grower specialy in the initial time.
    First time a planted it, it took forever. Last sunday I made same as you do with HC ;)

6. samc

samc Member

nice scape :D

i do love the look of UG i put a pot in my nano and slowly died but is making a slow comeback

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Yes, it's always difficult to gauge when looking at photos :) I wish there was a quick and easy way to take a 3D image of your tank :D

8. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

nice scape, i would of left the rock at the back out though. I have heard UG does best in a low nutrition substrate,

9. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi Jur4ik,nice little tank i keep my eye on how it goes,i have a 30ltr dennerle nano waiting to be set up,the stone you have looks very much like dragon stone,hope the ug grows for you this time,
    regards john.

10. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

thanks aaronnorth,
    Maybe it stays smaller in low nutrition, because mine grew up to 4cm :wideyed:

Please keep the fingers crossed for me :D Ohko Stone = Dragon Stone

11. nry

nry Member

I'd love to see the UG do well - I've tried it twice in new and also mature tanks and it has done nothing beyond go all straggly! It looks amazing if it grows well :)

12. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

Thanks nry,
    In my own nano UG almost melted after I trimmed it down.

little update
    [​IMG]

13. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

more pieces of UG melted away.
    Here is an update or should I say what is left :lol:
    [​IMG]

14. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

this really does sound like a tough plant. hope you come through this mate. :D

15. Garuf

Garuf Member

A lot of the US hobbiest I've noticed are dry starting it to give it a good footing apparently it just doesn't like that initial hardship. I've also read it likes to be planted really deeply in the substrate. I tried it and mine melted really badly soon after planting.

16. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

Well, the point I wonder about is that not every piece is melting and not all that melted, started at the same time :rolleyes:

17. samc

samc Member

i found that one would melt then all would seem fine then one morning the next had melted. it was really irregular

18. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

hope those are left will stay fine, in this case I would refill the gaps with HC or maybe with riccia stones .. :?

19. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

this is what´s left .. :((

[​IMG]

Hairgrass is doing fine, lots of runners.

Now there is a something like brown algae on the UG near the bottom .. Co2 has been increased to 1b/2sec and started dosing tropica plant nutrition 1ml after each wc

20. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

Now all the UG has melted and the tank looks a bit naked, it will be replanted soon, maybe today :wideyed:
    As the owner of this tank has moved into another city I´m waiting for some tap water to test as he has heard that it is not as good as where we live now. If the tap water is acceptable we will maybe rescape the whole tank otherwise it will stay as it is (only with new plants) in his parents house.