• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Frogbit deficiency

Mikeyd

Hi all,

Any idea what is causing these brown areas on my frogbit? Also got some browning on the new curled leaves on the red root floaters.
Could the light be too close cause burning?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201113_181441.jpg
    20201113_181441.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,769
Hi all,
causing these brown areas on my frogbit? Also got some browning on the new curled leaves on the red root floaters.
Could the light be too close cause burning?
I definitely get the <"red "tiger stripes" on the Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) in higher light">, whether that occurs <"when nutrient levels are higher">, I don't know.

Neither floater looks too bad, but they don't look really healthy either. You can discount CO2 (because they are floaters), so that only really leaves mineral nutrients.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel
I was hoping you'd be along with your frogbit expertise! 😄
Thanks for the reply. Wondered if you might say something like that. They're just in a small desktop scape I have set up last week whilst I'm away with work (something to look at)......and I didnt think to to bring any fertz away with me, so not sure how long it will last 🤦‍♂️🤔

Ps if anyone has any ideas to make some kind of diy fertiliser from something I'd be greatful! 😂

Last edited:
If you don't have fish?
You can try peeing in it. ;)

Otherwise if you want to get fancy, I suggest adding iron first and watching. If no results, add Nitrogen and then watch.

Unfortunately no access to garden fertiliser where I am.

You can try peeing in it. ;)

🤣 would this actually work!!??I did read some about pee for fertilising crops abroad somewhere haha

@jameson_uk is /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/frogbit.62676/']Frogbit king[/URL]"> these days, mine never looks that healthy.

cheers Darrel

Definitely seem to have it growing well but could show a lot of photos of poor looking plants and not sure I know what is actually going on. I have never worked out the Tiger print as I used to see it a lot and thought this was the leaves that got the most light but I don't see it much any more and the lighting hasn't changed (well not intentionally anyway). I have given up trying to get it to look great, there are always leaves that have been pushed under and start to rot and other which don't seem to do very well. It is really odd as occasionally things just take a turn even though nothing appears to have changed. I sometimes find that plants next to each other which are going to get roughly the same light, ferts, flow ... look entirely different, one is thriving yet the other is dying. It is so rampant I just chuck the bad stuff and still have far more than I need.

This is from my Betta tank where the frogbit has taken a bit of a dive (I threw the worst stuff out earlier) which is showing a bit of the tiger pattern but has a really low powered LED o
44cd98822ec36e046cba5d78356b7301.jpg

A few of the leaves in the ops picture look submerged which is one thing that it really doesn't like.

01d2b1820c8878c940b2e894e433a756.jpg

I have never worked out the Tiger print as I used to see it a lot and thought this was the leaves that got the most light but I don't see it much any more and the lighting hasn't changed (well not intentionally anyway).
Got me looking across various tanks. Noticed the Tiger print in my shrimp tank (very low energy and low ferts). This suggests it is nutrient deficiency not light (although I guess it is probably more faceted than that as I am sure I have seen it with loads of ferts)
311d0a317df608d5bf1324d8814bc9bc.jpg

Whilst on the whole it is growing well but definitely don't understand what is going on completely. I have some plants which have leaves the size of £2 coins whilst ones next to it are struggling, some plants suddenly go from really healthy to dying in a matter of weeks, some tanks thrive and then suddenly go downhill (the Betta tank is currently struggling to maintain any frogbit but gets lots more ferts than the shrimp tank which is doing OK)

One day I will do some experiments but on current timescales we are looking at 2030

Hi all,
A few of the leaves in the ops picture look submerged which is one thing that it really doesn't like.
I think the leaves with the <"net pattern"> are deficient in one of the nutrients. I think it is one out magnesium (Mg), iron (Fe) or manganese (Mn).

Have a look at @rusticdr 's <"thread">. It has a <"happy ending">.

cheers Darrel

I have some plants which have leaves the size of £2 coins whilst ones next to it are struggling, some plants suddenly go from really healthy to dying in a matter of weeks, some tanks thrive and then suddenly go downhill

Have you tried nipping the roots back every week/couple of weeks? Back to about 2cm of root:

1606384488497.jpeg

Have had long term success doing this which I estimate is due to the plant being forced to focus on new root development/repair. Leaves stay smaller, but healthy and it’s less inclined to grow runners and replicate as quickly.

1606384629387.jpeg

Always thought of frogbit root growth speed as a gauge on water column phosphate levels, but that may be over simplifying things. Either way, found this to work in multiple setups over the years.

Have you tried nipping the roots back every week/couple of weeks? Back to about 2cm of root:
I must admit I have been trimming the roots as much recently (I did used to trim them quite a lot) but it is growing fine
PXL_20201025_112223232.MP.jpg
It is interesting that in your pic you see the tiger pattern which I did always put down to high light but after seeing it in my shrimp tank I am not so sure.
I rarely trim the roots in the shrimp tank as the occupants love hanging out on the roots (and they occasionally reach the substrate) and it grows great in there but I do see differences in plants.

The majority grow in a relatively standard manner but I find that some grow massive (thriving and healthy though), others throw out multiple plantlets and others just melt and die. Just haven't managed to identify any pattern to the differences. I will keep an the roots too and see if they shed any light on it.

If we’re talking high light then six to seven hours of direct sunlight around the summer solstice should qualify:

1606389732228.jpeg

In the tub there were some plain leaves and some tiger patterned so can’t really say @jameson_uk . If it were solely high light that caused the tiger patterning then you would expect it to be uniform.

Could be nitrate up-take that causes the tiger strips.....therefore as the nitrate is depleted the new growth/plantlets will have less!
The plant on the bottom left of the picture definitely looks like nitrate deficient;)
1606390798932.png

hoggie

If we’re talking high light then six to seven hours of direct sunlight around the summer solstice should qualify:

In the tub there were some plain leaves and some tiger patterned so can’t really say @jameson_uk . If it were solely high light that caused the tiger patterning then you would expect it to be uniform.
Exactly , this is one of a number of facets I haven't been able to pin to ferts or light. None of them seem uniform which is why it seems odd.
Add to that that I sometimes see a sudden surge in dying plants without any obvious reason (my betta tank is currently experiencing this where the frogbit doesn't want to stay healthy but I know that shortly it will all be growing like crazy again). It is almost like there is some seasonal trigger in there. I have it coming out my ears (and the redroot floaters seem to have started growing like crazy too) so I am just dumping the unhealthy plants

Back